Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2009, 16:38   #976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Could I have some expert opinions here please? The question is whether sacrifising the D40 with the added 55-200mm and the 35mm f/1.8 is a wise option over the D200 with just the 18-105 mm for an additional $100 that too.

If i think realistically, I know that I will not invest in another body for the next 4 yrs. I am thinking the D200 gives me the freedom of not having to look for the pricier (if that's a word) AF lenses. It's a prosumer camera so I would have more to explore with as my learning progresses.

Help me out here fellas, this is a confusing world and I want to make sure I step into it on the right foot.
If you get a new D200 for $600 then go for it. It is a much, much more capable body than the D40. And as you rightly said it can use all Nikon AF lenses. That to me is very important becaue it opens up the world of second-hand Nikon lenses and can save you a packet.

You don't necessarily have to get it with the 18-105. If I remember correctly the kit lens for the D200 was the 18-200 VR. Why not save some money and get it with the 18-70/3.5-4.5 DX (the kit lens of the D70) and later add the 55-200 VR?
Old 11th May 2009, 16:47   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the combination I was initially looking at:

D40 + 18-55mm non VR + 55-200mm VR kit for $650. Plus maybe a prime for low light performance like the 35mm f/1.8mm for an additional $200. So total $850.

In Sam's confusion above, there was a suggestion or two about getting the D200 body. I haven't done any research on the D200 yet, all the time thinking it was way out of my range. But the body for USD 600 seems an interesting prospect. Here's what I have seen in terms of prices:

1. D200 body only at USD 600
2. 18-105mm VR for $359.95

So a total of US $959.
Mayank,

when I got the D40, I already had access to the D70. Since my Father was using the D70, I decided to get myself another camera for my travels.
The D40 with lens kit was incredibly affordable at 25000/- then, so I bought it without thinking much.

Surprisingly, the image quality turned out to be top-class. Good for me.

If I had known that I would be feeding my hobby further and would be considering buying multiple lenses, perhaps I would have bought a semi professional camera to start off with. That said, I have only great words to say about the D40.
Old 11th May 2009, 16:58   #978
BHPian

Panasonic made a lot of fanfare last year by announcing and interchangeable lens non-SLR camera (Lumix DMC G1). I am a point-and-shoot type of a shutterbug not keen on learning the nuances of SLR photography. I thought the DMC G1 would be a sort of best of both worlds. Could someone give any update on the product?
Old 11th May 2009, 17:27   #979
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Panasonic made a lot of fanfare last year by announcing and interchangeable lens non-SLR camera (Lumix DMC G1).
The first micro 4/3 system camera, best part is it works with Olympus lenses (which are really good), but won't get AF in most of them.

This is the first model in this system, it is bound to have issues, wait for the next one.

Full review is here: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Old 11th May 2009, 23:16   #980
BHPian

Guys.. after much thought and having spoken to folks here as well as a few close friends, I have decided to take the plunge and get myself a D90. I'm probably going to go with the 18-105 mm kit lens.
Main reasons:
1. I feel happier going with something current (the purists will be rolling their eyes I know )
2. The same CMOS sensor as the D300
3. More manual controls
4. Option to go with the non AFS lenses and hence opens up the second hand lens market for me (this was probably my primary motivation)
5. Bigger and brighter LCD

There are of course other technicalities which I don't understand completely yet (bracketing, metering etc)that make this camera more expensive than the D40 but the above were really the reasons I personally cared for at this stage. I am sure as I learn, I would start appreciating these features. I just said to myself that hey, when I do reach that stage a year down the line, I don't want to be limited by the body. I do not plan to buy a new body for the next 5 yrs.

The price of the kit is $1170 from Adorama. My one final question to you guys. Is it a good idea to get a refurbished kit from Adorama for $999. I spoke to them and they say these are bodies that have been refurbished by Nikon USA. Not display pieces from showrooms. Just bodies that were used to do demos with in events, with clients and such. No pictures have been taken by them. They come with a 90 day US warranty. The new kits come with a 1 yr US warranty. Considering I will be returning to India in another 2 months, I don't know how good a 1 yr US warranty will be to me in any case.

Let me know your thoughts fellas! Thanks...
Old 12th May 2009, 11:04   #981
Senior - BHPian

Mayank, D90 is a excellent choice, go for it!
And for peace of mind, spend $170 more & get a brand new peice instead of a refurbished one.
Old 12th May 2009, 18:30   #982
TOR
BHPian

Mayank, even i am in a similar situation, was looking for an entry dSLR and the search has finally brought me here.(there are few other deals given below in the link, they also sound interesting)

The price in unbelievable-but do note that they dont mention the shipping charges(which might be the deal breaker here) and the kit does not include a battery and charger. Still so little money for the D90(brand new body) is too enticing!(am now trying to read the fine print).

A 18-135(non VR) lens will come at 150$ and hence the combo seems 'too good to be true'(so it may not be!).

From looking around the store Cameta camera(based in NY) seems to have some great deals on 'demo' combos.Do have a look there also.

Considering my budget am thinking of getting the Nikon D60 + 18-105 VR Nikkor lens = the combo is coming to 28K(US again-Indian quotes for the same are 35K!).

The above might well change if the deal on the D90 body comes out authentic !!

Last edited by TOR : 12th May 2009 at 18:33.
Old 12th May 2009, 18:51   #983
BHPian

TOR, do check out the stores you mention on resellerratings.com before buying anything from them. Rule of thumb with online camera stores is that if it sounds too good to be true, its probably a scam.
Old 12th May 2009, 19:01   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Mayank, even i am in a similar situation, was looking for an entry dSLR and the search has finally brought me here.(there are few other deals given below in the link, they also sound interesting)

The price in unbelievable-but do note that they dont mention the shipping charges(which might be the deal breaker here) and the kit does not include a battery and charger. Still so little money for the D90(brand new body) is too enticing!(am now trying to read the fine print).

A 18-135(non VR) lens will come at 150$ and hence the combo seems 'too good to be true'(so it may not be!).

From looking around the store Cameta camera(based in NY) seems to have some great deals on 'demo' combos.Do have a look there also.

Considering my budget am thinking of getting the Nikon D60 + 18-105 VR Nikkor lens = the combo is coming to 28K(US again-Indian quotes for the same are 35K!).

The above might well change if the deal on the D90 body comes out authentic !!
Yeah something looks fishy. I will call them today and let you know what I find out.
Old 12th May 2009, 19:24   #985
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
TOR, do check out the stores you mention on resellerratings.com before buying anything from them. Rule of thumb with online camera stores is that if it sounds too good to be true, its probably a scam.
Yes quite true, i will be quite vary on something thats that juicy.

Quote:
Yeah something looks fishy. I will call them today and let you know what I find out.
thanks mate, i still feel the shipping charges will be the deal dampener.
Old 12th May 2009, 22:00   #986
TOR
BHPian

Guys an update-its most likely a scam!

My sister(in US) called them up-but was kept on hold for like ever.On poking around they(BIL/Sis) have got info they most likely take the booking and then cancel the booking without our knowledge and then take cancellation charges or something like that!
Old 12th May 2009, 22:07   #987
BHPian

Stop and Shop Digital - stopandshopdigital.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings
To confirm your worst fears TOR
Old 12th May 2009, 22:19   #988
Senior - BHPian

TOR its a scam site.

Stop and Shop Digital - stopandshopdigital.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

Always remember if ordering online stick with amazon, adorama & b-h none of the other websites will be able to give you better prices then these huge huge retailers anyways. And be wary of eBay as well.
Old 12th May 2009, 22:25   #989
Senior - BHPian

Also use a credit card (where possible) as you get a little extra protection and can always do a chargeback if the goods do not turn up.
Old 12th May 2009, 23:16   #990
BHPian

@TOR: I am placing the order from J&R. They have the price listed at 1199/- but since they still have the add on the website for 1149/-, they are ready to honour the advertised price. The other big retailers like Adorama and B&H are have already bumped up the price to 1199/-. The D90 price from Nikon has basically gone up.

And bite the bullet and get the D90 dude. I have done enough research over the last 4 weeks to establish that it is a good idea to go with the latest and greatest. It will save you on the lenses and on another body over the next 4-5 yrs.

Will let you guys know once I get it! Dayum!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks