Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 19:33   #1126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you given thought to another important factor of dust entering inside while changing lens?
Its a common issue with every photographer who has a bag of lenses. So, I might get a blower later.

Quote:
Least expensive - if you're unsure about spending too much cash on equipment then keep the 18-55 and add the 55-200.
Offcourse your suggestion helps. I am almost deciding on the 55-200 VR after too much of reading, complaining, poking people for answer, worrying about the budget, worrying about the quality etc. Reasons below;

1. 55-200 VR looks like the best budget lens one can buy
2. Light weight (only 335 grms)
3. 18-55 kit and 55-200 can share the same 52 mm filters
Now its just the decision 'where to buy?' remaining, which will be solved in few hours. Most probably I will get it by tomorow. Bit excited already, cant wait to get it home ! Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions.
Old 2nd June 2009, 19:59   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Offcourse your suggestion helps. I am almost deciding on the 55-200 VR after too much of reading, complaining, poking people for answer, worrying about the budget, worrying about the quality etc. Reasons below;

1. 55-200 VR looks like the best budget lens one can buy
2. Light weight (only 335 grms)
3. 18-55 kit and 55-200 can share the same 52 mm filters
Now its just the decision 'where to buy?' remaining, which will be solved in few hours. Most probably I will get it by tomorow. Bit excited already, cant wait to get it home ! Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions.
Good. You won't regret the decision. Too many photographers worry about equipment before even learning to use it to its full potential. You can always get better glass later. One lens you may want to add soon, without too much of a dent on the wallet, is the 35mm/1.8 DX. That will help you discover the pleasures of a fast prime.
Old 2nd June 2009, 21:18   #1128
Senior - BHPian

an any of the Bangy photophiles lend me a 58mm Circular polarizer for the next 4-5 days?

Want to try before I buy
Old 2nd June 2009, 21:26   #1129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
One lens you may want to add soon, without too much of a dent on the wallet, is the 35mm/1.8 DX. That will help you discover the pleasures of a fast prime.
Ha ha, this DSLR business is much more addictive than modifying a vehicle ! I havent yet got my zoom lens, you are suggesting me a 3rd one. It will take an expensive ride until wifee throws me out of the house with the camera and lenses given as my only earthly posession

Last edited by shajufx : 2nd June 2009 at 21:28.
Old 2nd June 2009, 21:45   #1130
F50
Senior - BHPian

I saw 500D yesterday. Same body as 450D with additional MPs etc.
Price 45k!
Any reviews?
Old 2nd June 2009, 21:54   #1131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
500D ....Any reviews?
My intention was to get a 500D 2 weeks back when it was not yet available with any dealers in India. I read lot of fantastic reviews too. Main thing what attracted me to it was the 15.1 MP, Full HD movie, High ISO upto 12800, Digic4 and a kit lens 18-55 IS all for 45k.

Later I changed my mind to Nikon D60 with 18-55 VR kit, bag, card etc all rounded to 30k. So I thought I will spend my savings (compared to 500D) on a decent zoom lens like 55-200 VR. Still I will be left with some saving, which could be diverted into a budget prime later, adding few more 1000s to it
Old 3rd June 2009, 10:09   #1132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Later I changed my mind to Nikon D60 with 18-55 VR kit, bag, card etc all rounded to 30k. So I thought I will spend my savings (compared to 500D) on a decent zoom lens like 55-200 VR. Still I will be left with some saving, which could be diverted into a budget prime later, adding few more 1000s to it
I'd seriously consider the new D5000 (the one with the swivel LCD). I dont know if it fits your budget though.
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:21   #1133
BHPian

I tested the D5000 and i got to say, its bang for the buck. The swivel LCD is of immense use to get low down and high up angles going.
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:38   #1134
Senior - BHPian

The swivel LCD works like a charm for all kinds of shooting, specially the situations where you have to crawl on the floor for the perfect shot with the other DSLRs and most importantly when you have to click your own face (I do that all the time). Also it is loaded with most of the features of D90 for a lesser price. So, a person who is searching for an entry/mid segment, there is Canon 500D and Nikon D5000.
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:57   #1135
BHPian

Was browsing online to learn about white balance settings and came across this add in Popular Photography.
Name:  wb preset.bmp
Views: 420
Size:  472.1 KB.

Q1 : This seems like a simple DIY Job to serve the purpose of wb metering? If so , do the gurus think this works?

Q2 : Is this really as simple as it looks or there's something hidden in the finer details?

Q3 : How does this work if your not metering a subject a few feet/fair distance away.

Q4: Sales gimmick to earn a cool $30 on a piece of cloth ??
Old 3rd June 2009, 13:04   #1136
BHPian

Umm...the swivel LCD really isn't of much practical use given the Liveview (LV) implementation of the D5000 and the 500D. The sensor-based LV is very slow and takes a looot of time to take a shot.

The Sony Alpha's implementation of LV is much more biased towards P&S usage of swivelling LCDs. Though it can't be used for the extreme macro setup of the D5000 and the 500D. Hence it comes down to what usage you require really.

LV currently - atleast as known to P&S/Compact users - is good only in the Sony Alpha series. Anyone who's used LV in 450D/1000D will be able to comment on the same.

Of course, LV is best implemented in the Panasonic G1.
Payne
Old 3rd June 2009, 13:20   #1137
BHPian

If I cant get anything grey or white, I use the palm of my hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler
Was browsing online to learn about white balance settings and came across this add in Popular Photography.
Old 3rd June 2009, 13:21   #1138
Senior - BHPian

d payne, do you have a flickr page ? I remember visiting some pages a week back, but not sure if it was yours. And whats your camera and lenses ? Also could you give a tip on the post processing part related to framing (I know the photoshop and irfanview framing tool) and engraving your name on the photo. Is there a format where you can save your font and style (with emboss and shade) which could be just copied to all your photos, saving time ? Example given below: this is taken on a canon IXY P&S.
The DSLR Thread-rose.jpg
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:07   #1139
BHPian

Even if LV is slow, it has no effect on the angle you want to choose for your shot. I personally have tried out the live view feature of this camera, the D5000 and yes it is a bit jerky, but once u have the camera in place it caan do the job pretty well. On the Sony alpha series, yes i agree...its way less jerky and more P&S biased.

By the way, LV works like a charm on the D700 but without a swivelling LCD i seldom find it useful.I have taken a lot of swivel lcd shots wid my p&s, the sony H50. And even if time is a factor, for sheer dynamic angle swivel lcd rocks in DSLRs.

It would have been been better if all swivel lcds were designed like sony's its got an "arm" thats awesome!
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:20   #1140
BHPian

Well, TG the Sony LV is not really off-the-sensor LV. Its got a second sensor which captures the view from the viewfinder - so basically its a video of the viewfinder itself. Hence its muuuuch faster than any P&S' Liveview - 60fps and incredibly smooth. Its also low-resolution, and you can't micro-adjust your focus in macro shots. But man, it works beautifully. I've used it for low-angle shots and crowd shots by putting the camera way above my head. Works like a charm!

The biggest difference though is AF speed. Since it is not from a sensor, the AF in LV is the same as AF through view-finder, superfast. In other DSLRs (apart from the G1), the AF is slow because you have 2 options: 1) use contrast-detect AF which is slower than a P&S right now or 2) drop the mirror, AF, then pickup the mirror and drop it again which is a super-slow process and good only for shooting still-life.

@shaju: My flickrstream. Putting a digital signature on photos is best done through Photoshop's Actions. Do a google on this. Its basically performing whatever mods you want on a photograph while recording it in PS and then playing that recorded action across a batch of photos. Very easy and very fast.

TIP: Please backup your test-photos. Beginners tend to run the wrong action or the wrongly recorded action on a batch of original photos and saving on them. You might lost your originals if you do so.

Keep clicking!
Payne

Most Viewed