Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 15:35   #1306
BHPian

i picked up a Canon 450D a couple of months ago for exactly 40k!! it's an awesome camera, chose this over the Nikon D60 which the retailer was ready to offer for 34K. My 450D came with a 15-55 lens kit! the advantage canon offers over nikon here is that on buying a canon, you are enrolled into their EDGE program that comes with a host of benefits, including a book on photography, and one free class/workshop and discounts on accessories. check out their website, Canon Edge - Homepage

@mohang_j, i picked up my camera from Foto Circle, he offers the best rates & deals on all types and models of cameras in bangalore, and i bet you wont find a better deal elsewhere! PM me if you need more info!! Here is their website, jjmehta .com , Digital Camera , Digital SLR , Video Camera , Apple iPod , mobiblu , Sandisk
Old 4th August 2009, 15:53   #1307
BHPian

Thanks guys, any info on Sony, that is where I am heading. Going grey will save me a bunch at the cost of peace of mind of course otherwise.

I guess having warranty in another country still means registered equipment, what about the grey versions (on second thoughts, the grey too must surely have been bought in some or the other country )? But again I am not too sure, I have seen cameras with a certain country's warranty being sold cheaper than the same product with a warranty in the current country.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:53   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I have used both the f/4 and the f/2.8. I dont own either and they were not used under the same conditons. The f/4 has excellent IQ even wide open. I never got to use the f/2.8 wide open as the I needed more DOF. I would suspect that the f/4 at f/4 might be sharper than the f/2.8 at f/2.8 (both are very very good so this difference might well be based on the subject and lighting conditions).

If you shoot a lot under low light conditions (indoors, theater, etc..) the f/2.8 might make sense otherwise the f/4 is a fantastic lens.

On a 40D you can push ISO to 1600 on a 5DII maybe even 3200 (not used the 5DII). So given that you can push ISO so high the f/4 might make more commercial sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
It largely depends on what you want to shoot. Assuming as you've asked the question I feel its for hobbiest use. I've owned the F4 70-200 and never felt the need for 2.8, infact the 2.8 is quite heavy. I suggest you go in for the F4 and buy another lens with the money saved.
thanks, my use would not be that much in low light. when stopped down i think there wont be much difference between the two (per what i read in some websites). so it seems f/4 is the lense of choice.
Old 4th August 2009, 16:02   #1309
Senior - BHPian

"Grow with" = availability of lenses and other accessories that you will definitely start needing when you want to do more with the camera. Those who give up and sell out in 3 months anyway were not serious about photography - perhaps they expected the camera, and not their own abilities, would deliver exceptional shots.

A camera is a tool in photography, to be used just like a tool - it is the human brain which has to compose and capture. Being at the starting part of the learning curve, I haven't yet faced a situation where I wanted to do something that my D40 couldn't.

I have never faced any problems so far with my D40. The 'hidden' risk is failure and availability of the part you need - I think Nikon is serviced in India and there shouldn't be a risk of part availability.
Old 4th August 2009, 17:05   #1310
BHPian

Not sure if any of you tried this website to buy stuff from US.

Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Millions of products, Thousands of brands

Their tag line is - Shop in US from India.

I just ordered a Tiffen 67mm Haze-1 Filter through them.

They show the item price and duty fee along with the total cost.

Didn't want to buy anything costly as I was unsure about their credibility.
Old 4th August 2009, 17:29   #1311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
After literally months of thought i am down to two canon (zoom) lenses. But i am not able to decide between the two-

70 - 200 f/4 or the 70 - 200 f/2.8
spec common to both the lenses: L IS USM

Is the f/2.8 worth the extra money and weight, actually more or less double the price of the f/4 ?
I had both the lenses at the same time and I did a comparo (nothing path breaking though) and found that IQ of the both the lenses are very similar. In fact I was in a dilemma to which one to keep. 2.8 is quite heavy compared to f4 but atlast I gave in for the extra stop of light and sold off the f4. But IQ wise I don't see much difference. So ultimately it boils down to your usage and I needed the lens to perform in low-light shoots too (like stage performance where I can't use flashguns etc.). But for any other purpose F4 is more value for money.
Hope this helps..
Old 5th August 2009, 10:33   #1312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
"Grow with" = availability of lenses and other accessories that you will definitely start needing when you want to do more with the camera. Those who give up and sell out in 3 months anyway were not serious about photography - perhaps they expected the camera, and not their own abilities, would deliver exceptional shots.

A camera is a tool in photography, to be used just like a tool - it is the human brain which has to compose and capture. Being at the starting part of the learning curve, I haven't yet faced a situation where I wanted to do something that my D40 couldn't.

I have never faced any problems so far with my D40. The 'hidden' risk is failure and availability of the part you need - I think Nikon is serviced in India and there shouldn't be a risk of part availability.
So so true, I feel that the D40 that I had as a backup cam in my car all the time I've taken better pictures with then with my 40D + full lens kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post

Please do let us know when it arrives.
Old 5th August 2009, 10:50   #1313
BHPian

I normally buy my photographic grear from BH Photo in the US. You can check them out at
B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders
Their prices are among the lowest among the most credible retailers. You can also try Adorama but I have know personal buying experience.
I buy online at BH Photo and consign it to a friend in the US and get them to bring it along. I get great price and pay no duty.
Awaiting my Pentax K20D. Should reach me in the middle of this month.
I paid INR 31,400 (USD 630) for the K20D at BH Photo. Compare that with 20North price of INR 46K. I think you can buy locally for similar price.
Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post

Old 5th August 2009, 10:57   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
I normally buy my photographic grear from BH Photo in the US. You can check them out at
B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders
Their prices are among the lowest among the most credible retailers. You can also try Adorama but I have know personal buying experience.
I bought my D90 two months back from Adorama. Also my camcorder from B&H a year ago. I have only good words about both of them.
But this is just a small $20 piece thats is not readily available in India.
I don't have to wait for my travel plan or depend on anyone. Just pay 100-200 duty and get it in hands in 2-3 weeks.
For items above $50, I don't think this option works. I would rather wait and buy it from B&H or Adorama.
Old 5th August 2009, 16:31   #1315
BHPian

Adorama and BH both are very accomplished stores. Its a joy spending a day in BH and try out all the lenses in the world that you can think of.

A small caveat : if you buy online from Adorama, they charge sales tax, where as BH does not. Sales tax in NY state is close to 8%, so it makes a difference in final price.

Some more good stores with competitive prices :
Amazon
JnR
Calumet
Beach Camera
Ritz
Old 5th August 2009, 17:08   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I had both the lenses at the same time and I did a comparo (nothing path breaking though) and found that IQ of the both the lenses are very similar. In fact I was in a dilemma to which one to keep. 2.8 is quite heavy compared to f4 but atlast I gave in for the extra stop of light and sold off the f4. But IQ wise I don't see much difference. So ultimately it boils down to your usage and I needed the lens to perform in low-light shoots too (like stage performance where I can't use flashguns etc.). But for any other purpose F4 is more value for money.
Hope this helps..
Thanks for the input. apart from the obvious price issue i am also put off by 2.8's weight (almost a kilo and a half). yes i think f/4 would make more sense in my case. i save on the price difference. Maybe go for a 200mm prime if in future i terribly need to go in for one.
Old 6th August 2009, 13:24   #1317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
"Grow with" = availability of lenses and other accessories that you will definitely start needing when you want to do more with the camera. - I think Nikon is serviced in India and there shouldn't be a risk of part availability.
True, while Canon does have more service centers than Nikon (in India), Nikon is well serviced in most major metros. My choice for Canon was more due to the fact that I could borow some excellent Canon lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
thanks, my use would not be that much in low light. when stopped down i think there wont be much difference between the two (per what i read in some websites). so it seems f/4 is the lense of choice.
The only real advantage I find when I carry the white 70-200/2.8 and 300/2.8 to my son's school functions is that the professionals hired by the school make way for me.
Old 6th August 2009, 23:15   #1318
Senior - BHPian

How do you guys carry your DSLR during long drives/travelogues ?

I have a Pentax K100D with the kit lens (18-55) and a Tamron 70-300. I have a "Nikon" original bag (Sigh!) which has very good padding etc. I havent really driven anywhere with the DSLR around. So looking for suggestions
Old 6th August 2009, 23:50   #1319
Team-BHP Support

I have a canon bag.
In this I carry
350D
18-55
75-300
50mm
Filters
Memory cards
Cleaning equipment
Small tripod(my backup gorillapod)
Charger and batteries
Misc junk
This is the bag
Amazon.com: Canon Deluxe Photo Backpack 200EG for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Black with Green Accent): Camera & Photo
Old 7th August 2009, 00:04   #1320
Team-BHP Support

Looks like I may get a Nikon D5000 soon from US. Actually I was planning on getting an SLR for long and probably was going in for a Canon 500D. A mixup happened in the US and looks like before I could actually commit I got committed on an SLR and that too on the D5000.

Koi gal nahi... It was anyhow my next choice. Next, simply because too many Nikon fans in the family and I being a non-conformist was more kin on the Canon. Looks like that was not to be. It will probably take me a couple of months to get the cam here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks