Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2015, 13:31   #13651
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The cash back received will be credited to your PayTM wallet and not to the bank account isn't it?

Yup cashback only to Paytm wallet.
But can be transferred to bank account by paying a 4% charge!
Old 29th May 2015, 09:45   #13652
BANNED

Got a DSLR for the first time.

I know absolutely nothing about how to use it, nor do I know anything about photography.

I seriously don't know whether they really expect the manual to be readable as it is.

Can someone direct me to some site that teaches novices about the basics, something that's more of a visual experience would be preferred ! The camera Model is a Nikon something if that helps !
Old 29th May 2015, 12:24   #13653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post

I know absolutely nothing about how to use it, nor do I know anything about photography.
Can I have it then

Quote:
I seriously don't know whether they really expect the manual to be readable as it is.

Can someone direct me to some site that teaches novices about the basics, something that's more of a visual experience would be preferred ! The camera Model is a Nikon something if that helps !
Just kidding, a manual is good place to start. But if you are the more visual kind of learner, just hop on to youtube and start watching videos.

My recommendation would be to first get to understand some basics of photography (what is a good photograph, composition, exposure triangle, various kinds of photography etc) and then hop on to the tech part (various modes in your camera, metering etc).

Meanwhile keep clicking and experimenting, that's the best way to learn.

Cheers!!!
Old 1st June 2015, 00:45   #13654
BHPian

Question?

Is the Nikon D7xxx the best midrange camera to upgrade from D3100? Are there any other models in Nikon or Canon which is a better buy in similar or slightly higher price range?
Old 1st June 2015, 13:16   #13655
Senior - BHPian

Re: Question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
Is the Nikon D7xxx the best midrange camera to upgrade from D3100? Are there any other models in Nikon or Canon which is a better buy in similar or slightly higher price range?
Depends on why you want to upgrade.

The Nikon D7xxx is a rugged feature rich range. If you need 2 card slots, tough body and DX formats (loved by wild life and sports shooters), then this is it, though I would not recommend the lower MP, D7000.

Other wise the D610 is in my opinion a better upgrade, especially if you are more into people, landscape and travel shooting, and it has most of the feature of the D7xxx. The reason is that with an FX sensor, you can shoot wide with relatively inexpensive lenses. You can even use Nikon's Manual Focus lenses like the 28mm F2.8 or 20mm F2.8 to get a FOV that would require and 18mm and 13.5mm DX lens.
Old 1st June 2015, 14:30   #13656
Senior - BHPian

I have a Canon 550D with stock 18-55 lens. Its got a great video capture ability but I'm unable to use it simply because focusing using auto-mode generates noise and manual focus is just not that accurate. What's the work around for it? Is it my camera or the lens?
Old 1st June 2015, 14:55   #13657
BHPian

Quote:

Here you go https://photographylife.com/photogra...-for-beginners
Old 1st June 2015, 16:15   #13658
BHPian

Have decided to buy a DSLR ,primary purpose is better images while traveling / tours .Currently use a Fuji 10mp point & shoot with 10x zoom .

Have shortlisted nikon 5300 with 18-140 lens( getting this gear at Rs.51600 thru a contact ) / Canon d70 since i do not want to upgrade for 5-7 years atleast and plan to buy a 50/35mm prime lens later . Request suggestions please.
Old 1st June 2015, 20:13   #13659
BHPian

Fungus advise please. Getting a 100-400L Canon for a great price. Catch: Fungus. Please see the attached and help me with your opinions.

Also, picked up a 50mm 1.4 as well and selling off my 70-300 non L to fund the next purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-img_0761_dxo.jpg  

Old 1st June 2015, 20:35   #13660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Have shortlisted nikon 5300 with 18-140 lens( getting this gear at Rs.51600 thru a contact ) / Canon d70 since i do not want to upgrade for 5-7 years atleast and plan to buy a 50/35mm prime lens later . Request suggestions please.
Canon 70D with 18-135 will set you back 70k or so I think, so your Nikon 5300 is at a nice price. Not much to choose between them, 70D has some newer features though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Fungus advise please. Getting a 100-400L Canon for a great price. Catch: Fungus. Please see the attached and help me with your opinions.
Why not take it to the nearest Canon center with seller & take their quote to get it fixed? You cant judge fungus like this, Canon service center has some equipment that helps do it very well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd June 2015 at 09:55. Reason: Consecutive posts merged, thanks.
Old 1st June 2015, 20:45   #13661
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't really mind getting a fixed focal length lens cleaned once. But cleaning a zoom lens is not something I would do. Unless it is significantly cheap, don't buy a lens that needs cleaning. If you can live with the fungus then it's fine. It's often better to live with a little bit of fungus than to get it cleaned and lose sharpness.
Old 2nd June 2015, 07:33   #13662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I wouldn't really mind getting a fixed focal length lens cleaned once. But cleaning a zoom lens is not something I would do. Unless it is significantly cheap, don't buy a lens that needs cleaning. If you can live with the fungus then it's fine. It's often better to live with a little bit of fungus than to get it cleaned and lose sharpness.
I have been told on other forums, fungus spreads and can get in to the body as well as move to other lenses. Will keep away from this specimen for now. Still on the hunt for a 100-400 then.
Old 2nd June 2015, 07:47   #13663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Surprised to hear this, but I am an amateur. I had got my zoom lens cleaned once at Canon & they also give a warranty on the work for 6 months. I wouldnt trust 3rd party agencies to clean a lens though.
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:38   #13664
BHPian

Guys, need suggestion. I currently own a Nikon D5200 with 18-55mm kit lens.

I'm in the lookout for better bokeh and higher focal length.
For good bokeh, I am considering Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX.
For zoom lens, I'm looking at a lens that can be used for landscape as well as wildlife shots. I saw Tamron 18-270mm and it fits the bill perfectly, although at a higher cost (~27k).

I know the choice of lens is personal choice and varies from person to person based on the usage. If you were in my shoes, which would you pick:
1) Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX along with 18-55mm kit lens....or
2) Tamron 18-270mm lens that covers everything. Can dispose my 18-55mm. However I'll compromise on the bokeh.
Old 3rd June 2015, 12:42   #13665
Distinguished - BHPian

@Scropion blore
1) The Nikkor 50mm 1.8G is considered to have better IQ than the 35mm. The 35mm is a little wider. Try out both & see which one you like.
I gave up the 50mm because it was too narrow.

2) 18-270 has too much range to be good through out the range. This is typcal of such super-zooms. Try something more compact. While the superzooms are convenient, the more compact ones offer better IQ.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks