Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2017, 13:38   #14431
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Need guidance from Nikon users.

I was happy with the output from my Canon 1000D on kit lens, even straight from cam. After moving to Nikon, I am pissed off with the output from kit lens. Mostly spongy images not recoverable even if tried to correct sharpness when it grains heavily. Output while using my Sigma super tele is satisfactory and hence doubt my settings for portraits, group photo etc
Check default settings, and change as per taste. The D5200 has the same sensor as the D7100, it is 'good enough', even if not as good as recent crop sensors. Or check your lens/camera combination at the service centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
I've read from a few websites that to get good pictures in low lighting one needs to use low f value, shutter speed equal to or above the focal length being used, say while shooting at 250mm, 1/250 or more and higher ISO.
This is what I understood. Will this work to get better pictures. I am using an APS-C camera.
Need some tips and advice on this pic here.

Shot at f/6, 250mm, 1/40, ISO 200. Shooting in aperture priority mode.
The sun had set and it was a cloudy evening. Kindly give tips to improve image quality.
Well. More than image quality, you need to think about composition and light.

Getting right aperture/shutter speed/ISO is important. But that is just necessary, not sufficient, if you are interested in making images instead of taking snapshots.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 10th March 2017 at 14:02.
Old 11th March 2017, 22:46   #14432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Yes, lower f stop (aperture wide open) will let more light in. Similarly higher the ISO, more light will be captured. So, considering the situation here, increasing the ISO to even 800 would be better as many new cameras are wonderful at this ISO as well, no issues. Also, if ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Have you done enough reading / understanding about how Aperture, Shutter speed & ISO affect the exposure? And how each one has trade-offs?

I think you might need to play with this more to understand it completely...

Let me break down what you've said above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Well. More than image quality, you need to think about composition and light.

Getting right aperture/shutter speed/ISO is important. But that is just necessary, not sufficient, if you are interested in making images instead of taking snapshots.
Thank you.. Your inputs are indeed very useful for beginners like me. Will surely understand more about each of the parameters and probably try out more photo sessions. Will come back with more photos to get your feedback.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th March 2017 at 11:54. Reason: Shortening quoted posts...
Old 15th March 2017, 13:06   #14433
BHPian

Contemplating buying a DSLR shorlty. Apart from VideoLinks on FB, are there are any other sites/shops that ship to Hyd, where I can get the gear with warranty at USA prices in equivalent rupees? Ex: D7200 + 18-140 retails at 1300$ in USA while the same is 95k in INR, more like 1500$.
Old 15th March 2017, 13:21   #14434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Contemplating buying a DSLR shorlty. Apart from VideoLinks on FB, are there are any other sites/shops that ship to Hyd, where I can get the gear with warranty at USA prices in equivalent rupees? Ex: D7200 + 18-140 retails at 1300$ in USA while the same is 95k in INR, more like 1500$.
Try Amazon. Their sellers are normally authorised Nikon retailers/dealers. It will be difficult to match US prices as there is a customs duty and VAT in India, which is not there in US mail order.
Old 15th March 2017, 13:25   #14435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Try Amazon. Their sellers are normally authorised Nikon retailers/dealers. It will be difficult to match US prices as there is a customs duty and VAT in India, which is not there in US mail order.
My take is that Nikon prices in India match those in the USA. from time to time , there may be some special deals in certain markets which could show a difference in prices.
Secondly, i have found going through a dealer better since he not only matches the retail(on line) prices but sweetens it further. Plus you have some one to go to if not happy.
Old 15th March 2017, 15:12   #14436
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
My take is that Nikon prices in India match those in the USA. from time to time , there may be some special deals in certain markets which could show a difference in prices.
Secondly, i have found going through a dealer better since he not only matches the retail(on line) prices but sweetens it further. Plus you have some one to go to if not happy.
I bought mine from a distributor. Got an excellent deal. Also, he is Lucknow based with someone coming to Kanpur every week. So got mine within four days delivered to my home.
Old 18th March 2017, 16:40   #14437
BHPian

@Durango Dude, @sgiitk, @Aroy,@nilanjanray, @badri ,@ navin_bhp, Thanks all of you for comments & advice on my post on buying DX7200 v/s FX 750.

@sgiitk - The only reason I was looking for FX is low light performance.
@Aroy - I am almost tending towards the combination you are suggesting. Only pinch is between the two camera bodies – 50K difference!
@badri thanks again for the links.

Like I said I am a casual photographer. I use my camera typically over the weekend to take family pictures, garden pictures, birds in the vicinity and some travel photography.

Buying a DSLR has been in the plan for years but could not do it. Currently I am planning to go to Corbet national park and thought of upgrading to a DSLR before I make the trip. Besides planning on jungle safari, I plan to go for a birdwalk in nearby village etc.

I am posting some pictures taken using my Nikon 9700!
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-moonpbeach.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-lalbagh-flower-show_jan16_5.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dscn3986.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dscn3535.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dscn3653.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dscn2358.jpg  

Old 20th March 2017, 09:13   #14438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
i would suggest AF-S (single point) and select the Centre focus point in the grid. From your dissatisfaction levels, I could probably think that your copy of the lens is bad or something like that. Going for a little higher ISO is OK to have a good fast shutter speed to avoid camera shake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Check default settings, and change as per taste. The D5200 has the same sensor as the D7100, it is 'good enough', even if not as good as recent crop sensors. Or check your lens/camera combination at the service centre.
Thanks Swamy and Nilanjan. I am now doing my homework with various combinations. One observation is that, image quality becomes more acceptable at ISO below 600. I shoot handheld 99% of the time and ends up kicking the ISO upto 1600 while analyzed.

Editing is one area I am very naive. Trying to catch hold of some inexpensive tools so that grains can be reduced and subject can be recovered.

Last edited by jacs : 20th March 2017 at 09:15.
Old 20th March 2017, 10:28   #14439
BHPian

Experts,

Kindly help with dilemma.

I own a old canon Rebel XSI ( EOS 450D ) with 18-55 mm, 50 mm & Sigma 70-300 lens kit bought from US. Photography took a complete backseat for last 2 years due to personnel issues.Trying to put life on normal mode & take forward my interest in landscapes.

Not sure how much market have changed in these 2 years but have started a hunt for a wide angle lens. Looking at online prices, they appears very steep.

Given above i am thinking of 2 options -

A ) Buy a used wide angle lens which will sets me back by around 20-25 K minimum
B ) Buy a dedicated camera ( P & S ) for landscape needs. This saves me the hassle of frequent lens changes

I am inclined towards option B & look towards your suggestions for same. A friend is coming from USA by april end, as such getting it from there is also a option but i could not find a reasonable priced used lens on likes of B & H et all.
Old 20th March 2017, 14:15   #14440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Swamy and Nilanjan. I am now doing my homework with various combinations. One observation is that, image quality becomes more acceptable at ISO below 600. I shoot handheld 99% of the time and ends up kicking the ISO upto 1600 while analyzed.

Editing is one area I am very naive. Trying to catch hold of some inexpensive tools so that grains can be reduced and subject can be recovered.
Share a couple of photos with exif.

Images can appear noisy if they are underexposed, or if you pixel peep.

Check whether noise reduction is turned off or not in the camera settings.

Are you using auto iso that bumps up iso for your shots? In any case iso 1600 shouldn't be that bad with that sensor.
Old 20th March 2017, 14:48   #14441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
@Durango Dude, @sgiitk, @Aroy,@nilanjanray, @badri ,@ navin_bhp, Thanks all of you for comments & advice on my post on buying DX7200 v/s FX 750.

@sgiitk - The only reason I was looking for FX is low light performance.
@Aroy - I am almost tending towards the combination you are suggesting. Only pinch is between the two camera bodies – 50K difference!
@badri thanks again for the links.

Like I said I am a casual photographer. I use my camera typically over the weekend to take family pictures, garden pictures, birds in the vicinity and some travel photography.

Buying a DSLR has been in the plan for years but could not do it. Currently I am planning to go to Corbet national park and thought of upgrading to a DSLR before I make the trip. Besides planning on jungle safari, I plan to go for a birdwalk in nearby village etc.

I am posting some pictures taken using my Nikon 9700!
You can also get the Nikon D3300 2 lens bundle for around 33K and that has a card and a bag included. It is a fantastic camera with no frills, and for a casual photographer that is that is needed. I bough my D3300 in March '11 and after 75,000 shots it is still going strong.
http://www.amazon.in/Nikon-D3300-3-5...00+dslr+camera

Once you have shot a couple of thousand images, you will have a fair idea of what you need to upgrade. I would strongly suggest that once you get the D3300 download Capture NX-D; the free RAW processor; from Nikon site.

Shoot only RAW as you can convert RAW to jpeg at one go for a batch with one command. RAW gives you full control over the Dynamic range and you will be surprised at how much information a dark scene has.
Old 21st March 2017, 00:46   #14442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Experts,

Kindly help with dilemma.

I own a old canon Rebel XSI ( EOS 450D ) with 18-55 mm, 50 mm & Sigma 70-300 lens kit bought from US. Photography took a complete backseat for last 2 years due to personnel issues.Trying to put life on normal mode & take forward my interest in landscapes.

Not sure how much market have changed in these 2 years but have started a hunt for a wide angle lens. Looking at online prices, they appears very steep.

Given above i am thinking of 2 options -

A ) Buy a used wide angle lens which will sets me back by around 20-25 K minimum
B ) Buy a dedicated camera ( P & S ) for landscape needs. This saves me the hassle of frequent lens changes

I am inclined towards option B & look towards your suggestions for same. A friend is coming from USA by april end, as such getting it from there is also a option but i could not find a reasonable priced used lens on likes of B & H et all.
The Canon EF-S 11-18 STM should be well within your budget. If buying used a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 or the Canon 10-22mm lens should be in 350$ price range.
Old 21st March 2017, 01:48   #14443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
We had a sizeable order with videolinks and we went to videolinks. Very nice guy to deal with. Would recommend. I found that he some how manages to match the prices at b&h and was not able to find a better price else where in india. He also seems to get the pieces first. His depth and breadth for lenses/cameras and accessories is commendable and till date I have not found a shop in India that matches that.

If you do get a better price in India, do let us know.

EDIT:

I think we should have two threads. One thread for gear/prices/recommendations and second purely for critical review of pictures.

Last edited by govigov : 21st March 2017 at 01:49.
Old 21st March 2017, 15:00   #14444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One observation is that, image quality becomes more acceptable at ISO below 600. I shoot handheld 99% of the time and ends up kicking the ISO upto 1600 while analyzed.
D7100 has the same sensor. Here are a few higher ISO shots from that sensor.

Male tusker, Nilgiris. ISO 3200
The DSLR Thread-dsc_5826.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc_5901.jpg

Tusker in musth. ISO 2200
The DSLR Thread-dsc_7054_00001.jpg

Tigress in Ranthambore. ISO 1250
The DSLR Thread-dsc_7985.jpg

Blackbucks, ISO 640. So ISO 600 is no way a limitation.
The DSLR Thread-dsc_3906_00001.jpg
Old 21st March 2017, 15:41   #14445
Senior - BHPian

Another vote for Videolinks. Not the cheapest if you bargain around at a big camera market like camera galli in Mumbai but easily the best support for all the gear he sells. For instance, I was among the first buyers of the 200-500 5.6 E in India and the first lot had a loose rubber gasket for all the lenses delivered. He made sure that Nikon called me and arranged an appointment to have it fixed and delivered back on priority.

If you have a good rapport with him, he even waives off delivery charges and delivers you goods even before payment is received by him.

Packs his stuff very well and even arranges hand delivery of some big things if you have concerns about couriers handling heavy stuff and associated high charges.

Last edited by SPARKled : 21st March 2017 at 15:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks