Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2018, 08:41   #14716
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ordered my first DSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
So I order the D5600 with 18-55 mm kit lens. With 6 other items - 128GB Uhs-1 Sdxc card, UV and polarising filters, an underwater pouch/bag (the first trip will be to a beach), a screen guard (not sure of its utility) & a tripod. And then, still not satisfied, I also ordered the AF-S DX 35 mm f/1.8G lens with separate filters from Kenko & Hoya. Now waiting for delivery.
Oops! Congratulations but unfortunately what you just did is symptomatic of G.A.S. (Gadget Acquisition Syndrome).
A little advice, if I may - Please don't buy anything else until you really max out these 2 lenses.
Old 19th April 2018, 00:16   #14717
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Not a DSLR question, but looking for the price for a Nikon N80 ( Nikon F80) film camera.
( Got one, and may have a prospective buyer).
Old 24th April 2018, 20:21   #14718
BHPian

Dear Bhpians.. How is the new Canon M50 mirrorless camera? Is it good for action and wildlife photography? How does it compare with canon EOS mark 2?
Old 24th April 2018, 21:30   #14719
BHPian

Re: Ordered my first DSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
So I order the D5600 with 18-55 mm kit lens. With 6 other items - 128GB Uhs-1 Sdxc card, UV and polarising filters, an underwater pouch/bag (the first trip will be to a beach), a screen guard (not sure of its utility) & a tripod. And then, still not satisfied, I also ordered the AF-S DX 35 mm f/1.8G lens with separate filters from Kenko & Hoya. Now waiting for delivery.
Congratulations on the purchase, it will surely make a very good kit.
I too bought the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G lens about 10 days back for ₹9500 from the authorized Nikon dealer. The online prices were above ₹10k. It's a very nice lens, specially for indoor photography.
After the implementation of GST, offline market has become more competitive.
Old 24th April 2018, 22:50   #14720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Dear Bhpians.. How is the new Canon M50 mirrorless camera? Is it good for action and wildlife photography? How does it compare with canon EOS mark 2?
Not many lenses yet for canon mirrorless and the buffer is small for any action. It's doable but not the idle camera for both applications. If you meant 7D mark II then that is a way better camera for wildlife and action.
Old 25th April 2018, 00:15   #14721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Not a DSLR question, but looking for the price for a Nikon N80 ( Nikon F80) film camera.
( Got one, and may have a prospective buyer).
N80 is AF, motorised winder etc, early 2000s model, right? You will probably get about Rs 8-10k maximum if everything including metering is working. Non motorised, MF film cameras go for 2k-5k depending on condition.

But then, this is a purely buyer's market and a lot also depends on the condition of the camera and the seller's mood.

I have been fortunate to buy only two film cameras and the other 5 have been gifts ever since friends and relatives found that I collect and use them. They give me their cameras and feel happy to come and see what I shoot with them. I also got a Nikon F-601 in perfect working condition from a friend for free!
Old 25th April 2018, 12:54   #14722
Distinguished - BHPian

I bought a used Sigma 50/f1.4. It is made for Sony E mount, so, although there is no stabilisation, pretty-much all the autofocus stuff on the Sony A6000 works, as well as aperture control. The Sony 35mm, new, would have been about 20k more than I spent!

Stabilisation is a huge boon, but for shorter, faster lenses, even my shaky hands can do without it.

I also discovered that, although everything with my old Tamron 90mm is manual, face-detect works. No function for focusing, of course... But at least it sets the exposure for the face.
Old 25th April 2018, 23:42   #14723
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Dear Bhpians.. How is the new Canon M50 mirrorless ...
We have a speparate thread for Mirrorless / EVIL Cameras. Do go through.

Since you mention action photography, I find curious that most online reviews do not mention shutterlag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Congratulations on the purchase, it will surely make a very good kit.
I too bought the AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8G lens about 10 days back for ₹9500 from the authorized Nikon dealer. The online prices were above ₹10k. It's a very nice lens, specially for indoor photography.
After the implementation of GST, offline market has become more competitive.
In Kochi, it is the other way, and not all models are in stock. The camera with hit lens was not wailable for Nikon. And for canon, the price was 4K higher with only 1300 in stock.

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th April 2018 at 15:01. Reason: Small formatting change
Old 3rd May 2018, 15:41   #14724
BHPian

Hi, bit of a "noob" here at purchasing lenses and photography as a whole. Currently have the basic 18-55mm Kit lens that came with my D3300. My photography mostly includes landscape and astrophotography.

The kit lens is pretty poor for astro. Scoured the net for cheap wide angle lenses which are good for astro and found that the Samyang 14mm f2.8 seems to be a pretty versatile lens.
Would like to know if anyone can suggest something similar and cheap for landscape/astrophotography requirements. Budget is pretty low, max 20-25k.

Also, where can one buy used lenses from?

Last edited by Rohan24 : 3rd May 2018 at 15:43.
Old 3rd May 2018, 21:26   #14725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan24 View Post
Hi, bit of a "noob" here at purchasing lenses and photography as a whole. Currently have the basic 18-55mm Kit lens that came with my D3300. My photography mostly includes landscape and astrophotography.

The kit lens is pretty poor for astro. Scoured the net for cheap wide angle lenses which are good for astro and found that the Samyang 14mm f2.8 seems to be a pretty versatile lens.
Would like to know if anyone can suggest something similar and cheap for landscape/astrophotography requirements. Budget is pretty low, max 20-25k.

Check with Tanveer, the mod, re astro.

Landscape is more of right time/right place/enough effort (driven by planning and prep, and resulting in interesting light/moment) IMHO. That should matter more than specific lenses, unless you have outgrown your gear.
Old 3rd May 2018, 22:29   #14726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Check with Tanveer, the mod, re astro.

Landscape is more of right time/right place/enough effort (driven by planning and prep, and resulting in interesting light/moment) IMHO. That should matter more than specific lenses, unless you have outgrown your gear.
Thanks Nilanjan. Btw, big fan of your wildlife photography! Please do keep posting new threads with those gems!

I certainly don't think I have outgrown my gear, as far as landscape photography is concerned. Moreover, the 18-55mm performs fairly well in daylight as well as the golden hour. Where I feel it lacks is astro, as the pictures always come out too bright, or at the other end of the scale, with nothing of notice discernible.
Hence, primarily looking for a good astro lens. I guess they are the sought after choice for landscape as well (?).

P.S : By Tanveer, you mean tsk?
Old 3rd May 2018, 22:59   #14727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Nilanjan. Btw, big fan of your wildlife photography! Please do keep posting new threads with those gems!

I certainly don't think I have outgrown my gear, as far as landscape photography is concerned. Moreover, the 18-55mm performs fairly well in daylight as well as the golden hour. Where I feel it lacks is astro, as the pictures always come out too bright, or at the other end of the scale, with nothing of notice discernible.
Hence, primarily looking for a good astro lens. I guess they are the sought after choice for landscape as well (?).

P.S : By Tanveer, you mean tsk?
Thanks. Yes, tsk. And for landscape : a good tripod set up should help in getting interesting shots during golden/blue hrs. And to capture scenes well before dawn and after dusk. I think that one can rent wider angles, and experiment, and see what works/what one likes. Tripod/head should be a core investment.
Old 3rd May 2018, 23:14   #14728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Thanks. Yes, tsk. And for landscape : a good tripod set up should help in getting interesting shots during golden/blue hrs. And to capture scenes well before dawn and after dusk. I think that one can rent wider angles, and experiment, and see what works/what one likes. Tripod/head should be a core investment.
Thanks, I'll look into the renting angle. Already have a good Benro tripod. Had a cheap photron one before that, but it just started falling apart one by one - bad plastics.
Old 3rd May 2018, 23:24   #14729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Not an expert but heres what I can share from my learnings so far -

Samyang/Rockinon 14mm is a stellar lens. With a few caveats - fully manual, and FX format. On crop bodies it will be 21mm or so equivalent. You can find used samples within your budget. Try jjmehta forums, Olx in your city and TBHP classifieds too.

Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is another good lens. Infact, would be my choice for DX format. Not sure what it currently sells for here though.

There is another Samyang/Rokinon 8mm or so - a fish eye lens. Again, great built and good for astro.

All said and done, even your 18-55 can give good results in most cases. When trying to capture the milky way or even just the stars, keep the aperture at its widest (f/3.5 I guess @18), shutter speed around 20 secs (to avoid getting the trail) and keep pushing the ISO as high as you can (stop when noise becomes too much). This little kit lens can surprise you.

Edit: And ofcourse, make sure you are in a dark zone, else, the photos will be washed out due to light pollution.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 3rd May 2018 at 23:28.
Old 3rd May 2018, 23:38   #14730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
. You can find used samples within your budget. Try jjmehta forums, Olx in your city and TBHP classifieds too.
Thanks for the tip. Will check on OLX, etc. Wonder how that didn't strike me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

All said and done, even your 18-55 can give good results in most cases. When trying to capture the milky way or even just the stars, keep the aperture at its widest (f/3.5 I guess @18), shutter speed around 20 secs (to avoid getting the trail) and keep pushing the ISO as high as you can (stop when noise becomes too much). This little kit lens can surprise you.
Thanks.
Yes, I've tried numerous times and the pics have usually ended up too bright when I keep the shutter speed around 15s+. Have experimented with the setting a bit and got good night-time shots but no Milky way shots.
I guess the light pollution was too much every time then.

Most Viewed