Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2019, 23:43   #14851
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
And not sure if you got my point about mirrorless camera. They are very light weight. Sometimes, feel the light weightless is worth the premium.
I got your point sir, but mirrorless cameras are not in my budget.

Quote:
I also suggest you keep a good lookout for sellers who swap original components of kits with their own components - particularly, the bags and memory cards.
That's why I'm not comfortable purchasing online. I'll purchase camera from one of Nikon's Experience Zone shops and I always make sure, be it any product, that the seal is broken infront of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Would you mind elaborating as to what 'idea' you wanted to convey though these images; especially the first four images?
I too didn't understand what idea sir was trying to convey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Do consider mirrorless cameras as well. The heavy weight DSLRs get quite tedious to carry around
As I already mentioned, my budget is upto 50k and the best I can buy in that range is either Nikon D3500 or D5600.

Quote:
when you have iphone or pixel that can capture similar photos with far greater comfort.
I don't have either of them. I use LG Stylus 2 Plus and the photos captured with it look good only till point where one doesn't zoom in.

Quote:
Unless you have specific needs like long zoom wild animals/birds photography or ultra wide angle photography
I'm a nature loving person and like to photograph birds, butterflies, wild animals, tiny insects and landscapes. Here in Aligarh, in every winter, we go to Shekha Jheel, a bird sanctuary. It feels so pleasing to watch thousands of migratory birds resting in the lake. I want to capture those birds.

Quote:
The 7xxx series will have built in stabilizer, so cheaper lenses too can work fine on it. The swivel screen of D5xxx series comes in very handy.
As of now, I can't afford D7xxx series. Moreover, can you please throw some more light on the use of swivel screen.

With regards
Anindya
Old 13th January 2019, 00:39   #14852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anindya_Anni View Post
...As of now, I can't afford D7xxx series. Moreover, can you please throw some more light on the use of swivel screen....

Swivel screen is very useful. You can use it click photos in unusual angles, like keeping the camera on ground or rising over your head without doing any typical photographers gymnastic. I use it to click temple ceilings, as I can frame the shot in the swiveled out screen while camera is kept on the ground looking upwards.

Have you used a DSLR? If not, why not rent it for a day and see how you like it?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th April 2019 at 12:41. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 13th January 2019, 07:32   #14853
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
The 7xxx series will have built in stabilizer, so cheaper lenses too can work fine on it.
I am sure you meant ‘built in AF motor’ here. With D7xxx, you can auto-focus with cheaper AF-D lenses that don’t come with AF motors.

Quote:
As of now, I can't afford D7xxx series. Moreover, can you please throw some more light on the use of swivel screen.
It would be handy if you want to frame those unique and creative perspectives/compositions. For those who know the compositions they want, such screens would be handy as one can’t look through the viewfinder from those weird angles – ground level/over the heads of crowds

Quote:
I'm a nature loving person and like to photograph birds, butterflies, wild animals, tiny insects and landscapes. Here in Aligarh, in every winter, we go to Shekha Jheel, a bird sanctuary. It feels so pleasing to watch thousands of migratory birds resting in the lake. I want to capture those birds.
With regards
Anindya
Now you are talking about an expensive hobby! You will need three different lenses here- Tele, Macro, and wide-angle. First two (birds and insects) can be ‘managed’ with a good Tele though. There is one recent lens from Tamron which is 18-400mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC HLD that should give you a one lens solution, but might get a bit beyond your budget; yet worth a look

Last edited by M35 : 13th January 2019 at 07:34.
Old 13th January 2019, 12:32   #14854
Distinguished - BHPian

I think he did mean stabiliser. If the lens has only manual focus, there's nothing the camera can do, but if it does not have stabilisation, the camera can.

I really really wish I'd saved up for another month or two to get my camera's elder brother with "IBIS." Now I am going to have to spend twice, and we all know what bad economics that is!
Old 13th January 2019, 13:49   #14855
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think he did mean stabiliser. If the lens has only manual focus, there's nothing the camera can do, but if it does not have stabilisation, the camera can.
Being no keyboard warrior, I feel a bit awkward having to bring this up here. Heard of AF-D line of lenses from Nikon? Stick one on to a D3xxx/D5xxx; no AF at all. Put the same lens on a D7xxx or higher, suddenly it becomes an autofocus lens.

I am yet to find a Nikon DSLR that come with in built image stabilisation; a reason why you get to see their VR lens line up!
Old 13th January 2019, 14:30   #14856
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Being no keyboard warrior, I feel a bit awkward having to bring this up here. ...
Peace not (keyboard) war! I am very happy to be corrected . And even caught out not knowing what I am talking about. All good education
Old 13th January 2019, 21:52   #14857
BANNED

Quote:
Would you mind elaborating as to what 'idea' you wanted to convey through these images; especially the first four images?
Just trying to put images from the two lenses side by side, at various zooms. Also, had read in some review that the 70-300 us not up to Mark in low light and night. My experience shows otherwise.

The camera is at same position in first 2 pics. Only the focal lengths aka zoom levels vary.
Old 14th January 2019, 00:02   #14858
Senior - BHPian

Yep, I meant AF in D7xxx body, thanks for correcting M35. And thanks for understanding what I was trying to convey, Thad!
Old 14th January 2019, 12:13   #14859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I already mentioned, my budget is upto 50k and the best I can buy in that range is either Nikon D3500 or D5600.
This is a great deal if you ask me. For your needs. Yes, reach is a little less, but one can do a lot with 450mm (equivalent). Longer focal lengths would go way beyond your budget. And 18-55 should take care of landscape.

https://www.amazon.in/Nikon-D5600-18...dp/B01N58T6KA/

Edit: get a good 64 GB SDXC card from Sandisk, e.g. Extreme Pro.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 14th January 2019 at 12:17.
Old 11th February 2019, 10:23   #14860
BANNED

Is the camera dead?

interesting thoughts

Last edited by sgiitk : 11th February 2019 at 10:39.
Old 11th February 2019, 15:04   #14861
Distinguished - BHPian

The consumer point and shoot is dead. When did anyone least see it being used!

The more serious camera is not yet dead, but it's in decline. What may be concerning there is rust if it ends up being only a professional tool, rust means small numbers, and that means high prices
Old 11th February 2019, 20:44   #14862
BANNED

@Thad; I tend to agree. limited market, at a high price. These things go hand in hand. As the price increases the sales further drop. This is a tough option.

Somehow I am reminded of the case of films when digital cameras came in. Remember in those days 3MP was considered good, and 4MP great. i got some one to get me one from the US. Today 20MP is the norm, what for I do now know. To get an excellent A4 printout you need less than 4MP.

I for one will hate to lose the DSLR option, but if wishes were horses ....
Old 11th February 2019, 23:51   #14863
Distinguished - BHPian

The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Thad; I tend to agree. limited market, at a high price. These things go hand in hand. As the price increases the sales further drop. This is a tough option.

Number of cameras being sold has been steadily dropping for some time. I-am not sure that has lead to an increased sales price perse. My impression is that most manufacturers are still trying to get the most out of a new model no matter what.

Some claim the market is already consolidated with three brands taking 50% of the global market. I look at it differently. I would call a market consolidated if three parties have well over 90-95% of the market.

Yes, the point and shoot camera is just about dead, but the war between mirror less and DSLR is still raging. Once there is no clear differentiation to these further optimization in R&D, products etc and ultimately further consolidation is likely if not necessarily.

These are expensive high volume product, creating a lot of top-line for Manufacturers. Obviously, they need to earn some money and get a decent return on their investment.

Compare it to the world of mobile phones and how that has developed over the last couple of decades and we would still have a long time to go.

So I am fairly optimistic that we are likely to see new kit coming out for some time and that the unit prices, apart from the initial introduction price, is not necessarily going up.

But then again, if I could predict the future I would not be on somebody else's payroll. Also, i am not helping this industry as I buy a camera and use it till it can not be repaired anymore. I have yet to own a DSLR! 😜

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 11th February 2019 at 23:52.
Old 13th February 2019, 13:48   #14864
Distinguished - BHPian

Just came across this, some sobering thoughts
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/n...-84-since-2010
Old 13th February 2019, 13:58   #14865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Just came across this, some sobering thoughts
https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/n...-84-since-2010
To be expected I guess. Speaking from personal experience, I used to be a very enthusiastic amateur photographer till about 3 years ago. Bought some gear including a couple of very decent lenses.

Truth be told, a lot of the photos I used the DSLR for didn't really warrant that sort of gear (apart from the wildlife shots that required a telephoto). And looking at the thousands of shots people take and post online, there's nothing really special about the vast majority of them that warrants such expensive gear (most of my pics included). I've stopped carrying my camera around, the phone does most of the job.

Last edited by navin : 28th August 2019 at 17:36. Reason: typo

Most Viewed