Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2010, 17:30   #4366
BHPian

Help on CANON

I have an old CANON A-1 with a set of 3 FD (wide, 50mm & 200mm) lens which I am planning to trade for a new EOS (mostly the EOS 1000D). My doubts here are:

1. Is there a second hand market for SLR cameras?
2. How much can I expect for the A-1 body?
3. Can I use the FD lens on the EOS (they use EF lens)?

Gurus - Please advice

Aj
Old 29th June 2010, 17:47   #4367
BHPian

I see lots of dots when shoot with longer apperture in my Nikon D50.
Sure it is very tiny dust particles got into my camera, as i keep switching between wide angle and zoom lens.

Please help on how to clean this and avoid in future.
Old 29th June 2010, 18:47   #4368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva View Post
I see lots of dots when shoot with longer apperture in my Nikon D50.
Sure it is very tiny dust particles got into my camera, as i keep switching between wide angle and zoom lens.

Please help on how to clean this and avoid in future.
Many ways:

Always try to hold the camera body in such a way that the lens mount is facing downwards while switching between the lens, this would avoid dust settling in to a certain extent.

Use a manual Hand blower to blow away the dust.
Old 29th June 2010, 18:55   #4369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
D60 needs an AF-S lens for every kind of shooting except Macros. Any lens without the AF-S function will give you 50/50 chances for a clear ........
Hope you know the cropped sensor effect.
Thanks shajufx. I am aware of crop factor.

Here are my thoughts on Manual focus! Imagine I take SLR out and shoot some portrait of girls,baby etc and at same time some PnS guy also shoots. Later when viewing on big screen I don’t want to be a joker with my possible out of focus photos when compared to PnS guy so dropped plans of 50mm, 1.8, hope someday i can buy 35mm 1.8!

rajb3125,
Thanks for correction. I meant 35 1.8 not 1.4

Last edited by recshenoy : 29th June 2010 at 18:59.
Old 29th June 2010, 19:09   #4370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This is innovative!

The patent is all about varying exposure on a pixel to pixel basis to create stunning HDR images in a single click!

Canon's In-Camera HDR Patent Will Let You Take Pictures Like This

Canon In-Camera HDR Maps Single Exposure to Individual Pixels Photography Bay | Digital Camera Reviews, News and Resources

So far the in camera HDR option was more or less a pseudo HDR creation. This is available in cameras like Sony A550.

Nikon, what yummy feature are you planning to come up with? Whatever it is, consumers will benefit from such competition.
NICE! That's awesome news. Hoping it comes out soon enough (read before I upgrade my body) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
I have an old CANON A-1 with a set of 3 FD (wide, 50mm & 200mm) lens which I am planning to trade for a new EOS (mostly the EOS 1000D). My doubts here are:

1. Is there a second hand market for SLR cameras?
2. How much can I expect for the A-1 body?
3. Can I use the FD lens on the EOS (they use EF lens)?

Gurus - Please advice

Aj
You might be able to sell of your A-1 but the price could be on the lower side. As far as the FD lenses go, you can use them with an adapter but you will lose infinity focus. You can get another adapter with a glass element, but the element will reduce the IQ. So, effectively you can use the FD lenses on EOS but with some IQ loss. On the other hand, if you plan to sell them, I'll be interested in the 200mm.
Old 29th June 2010, 19:51   #4371
BHPian

this may be a silly question but...

when we say 300mm or for that matter any other prime/zoom telephoto, how much does it mean in terms of physical distance between the lens from the subject at 1x maginification.
Old 29th June 2010, 21:18   #4372
Senior - BHPian

Referring to my post number 4351 pp 291. I went here to some shops yesterday to explore buying the camera. Could not locate the Nikon dealer so went to the Canon Dealer. The price:-

Canon 1000D with kit lens (18-55mm) : 4199 LE (or Rs 36112/-)

asked him for 18-135mm lens. But NA that time. Promised to call me today. I get a call that this lens not available. However, 18-200mm IS is available. price : LE 9300/- (or Rs 80,000/-) . with the camera cover and memory card it would be more tha Rs 85000/-. From Canon India site I gather the MRP for the camera and 18-200mm lens is Rs 60,000/- (kit lens incl). After bargaining/discount should be 52k.

I have decided not to explore the Nikon as prices would be like this. Everything here is expensive.

Can anyone tell me whats the best way to get the DSLR here? Would the courier go through the Customs??
Old 29th June 2010, 23:39   #4373
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Any idea how much the Nikon service center will charge for cleaning the sensor?
Directly mailed the Nikon India guys, this was their reply

Quote:
sensor cleaning for DSLR will cost you Rs 552/-Including taxes.
Old 29th June 2010, 23:52   #4374
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, will they accept Canon cameras too? Damn, Canon revise the price .
Old 29th June 2010, 23:52   #4375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
NICE! That's awesome news. Hoping it comes out soon enough (read before I upgrade my body) .
At last someone noticed the post amongst countless number of lens and camera shopping related posts! I feel there should be two threads, one to discuss technical aspects and other as 'Which DSLR/Lens to buy'

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
this may be a silly question but...

when we say 300mm or for that matter any other prime/zoom telephoto, how much does it mean in terms of physical distance between the lens from the subject at 1x maginification.
Well, depends on where you focus. For example, a telephoto lens zoomed into 200mm can focus on a subject as close as 1 meter (roughly) to a subject at infinity - as the moon. Same goes with a 50mm prime lens, it can also be made to focus on subject nearer or farther.

Last edited by clevermax : 29th June 2010 at 23:56.
Old 30th June 2010, 00:33   #4376
Senior - BHPian

Got canon 50D after months and months confusion of what to buy, started with 1000D then to 500D, 450D, 550D lol in between i was also thinking about buying G11. At last settled with 50D. Got a good deal 55k for 50D+18-55IS+2GB Extreme CF card+average nikon bag. Got it locally in chennai.

Canon 50D on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 30th June 2010, 11:33   #4377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay_ss View Post
I have picked up a Canon 70-200 EF f4 from the US for USD 1130. The best quote i got here was 63k which is a good 10k higher. I am waiting to arrive with my uncle next week and the only thing which is bothering me right now is the customs guys. hoping there is not going to be any trouble getting it past them. I would update the forum once i get it in my hand !

cheers
vinay sambaragimath
As an update, the lens landed this morning with no hassles. So there it is ..my landed price for 70-200 IS F4 - USD 1130.

I cant wait to get started on this lens and hope to do some shoots this weekend!

cheers
vinay
Old 30th June 2010, 12:15   #4378
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Wow, will they accept Canon cameras too? Damn, Canon revise the price .
How much does Canon charge?
Old 30th June 2010, 12:24   #4379
Senior - BHPian

Well Cleaning sensor at home is also not very difficult.

You need to buy isoPropyl alcohol and lint free wipes and a wooden Chopstick ( order some Chinese food and you will get FOC)

I procured a pack of 100 wipes from US for 10$ but will nee to buy isopropyle alcohol. As of now my sensor is clean and canon self cleaning mechanism is taking good care of itself, so I never went hunting for it. Till now I have not spotted any Scientific store /Chemical. Can any one post adress directions for the future use?
Old 30th June 2010, 12:35   #4380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@rbp, does Nikon service centre in Bangalore do the sensor cleaning? Or the camera has to be sent out of state?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks