Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 13:00   #4381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
..... meant 35 1.8 not 1.4
Later I checked the availability of both, 35mm 1.4 manual focus nikon lens is available at smarshoppers for 60k+, yes you heard it right 60,000+. Thats an insane pricing when you can get better quality latest AF-S prime lenses for half the price. 35mm 1.8 is sold for 12k now.
Old 30th June 2010, 13:19   #4382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
At last someone noticed the post amongst countless number of lens and camera shopping related posts! I feel there should be two threads, one to discuss technical aspects and other as 'Which DSLR/Lens to buy'
I second that proposal , If mods can create a dedicated "DSL purchase from jayesh" thread it will be good , I think there are too many 'Jayesh' posts on this thread
Old 30th June 2010, 13:24   #4383
Senior - BHPian

Guys i have a problem i need help with, I brought a 50mm prime lens from hyderabad and the seller wanted some one to personally collect it so i had my friend collect it. Now there is no courier company which is ready to ship the item from there to Trivandrum, one guy said to insure it and that too at 12% of the total value. I am sure he was pitching for the insurance But no one else is ready to ship it, any help would be greatly appriciated.

Pramod
Old 30th June 2010, 13:58   #4384
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
@rbp, does Nikon service centre in Bangalore do the sensor cleaning? Or the camera has to be sent out of state?
Off course Bangalore. I believe your SLR has the sensor cleaning inbuilt, so you need not worry .
Old 30th June 2010, 14:18   #4385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
People,

Anyone using this Manual focus lens ever found an absolute need for Auto focus? Can we easily focus with this manual lens
or it requires lot of practice to master the manual focus!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
It is absolutely nonsence not to have AF. I have clicked around 100s of photo of my recent trip to Italy with manual focus, to save the battery because I was running out of battery and it was all blured even with tripod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
What AF has to do with tripod , Tripod can help you in case of shake for long focal length but does not help in any way for focusing. Without AF you either need a body with focusing screen ( Not there in DSLR I have seen) or trust your eyes on what you see inside view finder.
You guys need to learn about focus assist indicator. Its a blinking circle in viewfinder or (LCD in case of EVF) which shows whether the focus is tact and the feature is available in every tom, dick and harry camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post

Camera selection : I prefer Nikon. Wont mind Canon but nothing else. I have zeroed in to D5000/D90 body and 18-105f/3.5AF-S Nikkor lens.

1. Does my selection suits my requirements?
2. Any other camera better than those selected? Which one out of them D5000/D90? I dont intend to upgrade camera body in near future instead use the money to keep adding lenses.
4. I have a camera stand. I would be buying the camera case and the SDHC card 8/16 GB (IMO its sufficient). Anything else I am missing or need to buy at this stage may be for better photography or camera care.
Thx to all in advance.
Go for D90 anyday. Its a much underestimated camera which is lost in glamour. Remember that this camera has a better sensor than a D300. Its a highly capable camera if put to proper use. Very user friendly, sharp and accurate in algorithms. Stay away from D5000 if you dont want to upgrade sooner.
Also D90 can be very well used for Wildlife due to its accurate and fast AF. Also D90 support the AF lenses (the ones without motor).

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Any idea what kind of shops store silica gel? .
I think u meant silica bags.
Silica gels are used for sealing glass panels and is very readily available at any h/w stores for 140/- bucks. Wonder why will u need them LOL!.. And no wonder why you got blank faces from those camera shopkeeper .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Anyone has tried reverse mounting their lenses for shooting macro?
Yes, this is the result of reversing a 50mm f/1.8 with Nikon D40.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-watch1.jpg  

Old 30th June 2010, 14:28   #4386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
You guys need to learn about focus assist indicator. Its a blinking circle in viewfinder or (LCD in case of EVF) which shows whether the focus is tact and the feature is available in every tom, dick and harry camera.
And how exactly Focus Assist of tom,dick and harry camera will work when the lens is manual and has no electronic contact ?
Old 30th June 2010, 15:22   #4387
BHPian

I'm looking to but a Tokina 11-16 for my Canon 500D but I cant seem to find it in stock anywhere in India. Tries smartshoppers as well. Any pointers?

Is the Canon 10-22 superior to the Tokina 11-16? It costs much more though and might not fit into my budget.
Old 30th June 2010, 19:11   #4388
BHPian

Quote:
I think u meant silica bags.
Silica gels are used for sealing glass panels and is very readily available at any h/w stores for 140/- bucks. Wonder why will u need them LOL!.. And no wonder why you got blank faces from those camera shopkeeper .
But it is generally used for its ability to absorb moisture!
Silica gel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 30th June 2010, 19:34   #4389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
But it is generally used for its ability to absorb moisture!
Silica gel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes you are correct it is indeed silica gel, What is used for sealing glass panels is silicone sealant.
Old 30th June 2010, 19:48   #4390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
I'm looking to but a Tokina 11-16 for my Canon 500D but I cant seem to find it in stock anywhere in India. Tries smartshoppers as well. Any pointers? Is the Canon 10-22 superior to the Tokina 11-16? It costs much more though and might not fit into my budget.
I had checked it a week back at smarshoppers and it was available. If you value what Ken Rockwell says, he considers canon 10-22 equal to the tokina 11-16. Tokina is the sharpest ultra wide thats valuated to be better than few Nikons that are double the price and weight too. Please check his review. I would buy it anyday if I seriously want to try lanscapes.

Last edited by shajufx : 30th June 2010 at 19:50.
Old 30th June 2010, 21:32   #4391
BHPian

Hey guys, it's confirmed fungus..please recommend

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
Hi Guys,

I see small spots on my Lens, not sure if it's Fungus or dust. It's from the inside so cant clean it as well. I was thinking of getting the lens and camera serviced at Canon Bangalore. This would be the first time I'll be sending my equipment for service, please suggest if it's recommended. It's a Canon 40D and 100-400 setup that requires the cleaning.

Thanks
Old 1st July 2010, 05:51   #4392
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
At the duty-free shops in Changi Airport, Singapore, Canon 550d with 18 - 135 mm IS lens kit costs S$1681 [INR 57,154 - free of GST]. I had a demo there. In Australia the same kit costs A$ 1319 [INR 52,760 - free of GST]. But, the catch is while in Singapore, they give international warranty of 1 year for lens only, for body, it is local warranty. In Australia, it is only local warranty for the entire kit. Canon India's RRP is INR 71,995, of course, with Canon India warranty for two years. So, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Now, I understand that Canon Singapore 1 year warranty holds good in India, according to Canon Singapore website. I have decided to buy this kit in Funan DigitalLife Mall, Singapore, during transit in my return journey. So, my fingers are no more crossed!
Attached Images

Old 1st July 2010, 12:04   #4393
BHPian

Quote:
And how exactly Focus Assist of tom,dick and harry camera will work when the lens is manual and has no electronic contact ?
It is as accurate as AF, it has to be since the indicator is controlled by the sensor, and the same sensor control AF mechanism.
I have used 50mm f/1.8 on my D40 for 2.5 years with not a single shot out of focus.
The accuracy exist in the IQ of photographer as well. You need to know the minimum focus distance of the MF lens you are using. Going beyond that distance may end you up in frustration.
EDIT: You may need to practice MF if you are doing macro and super macros.

Sorry for the incorrect info about the silca gel v/s silica sealant. I bought the silica sealant by asking silica gel from a h/w guy. The silica bags can be available at MK Retail (not sure you may have to check).

Last edited by Speed Pujari : 1st July 2010 at 12:07.
Old 1st July 2010, 12:13   #4394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is as accurate as AF, it has to be since the indicator is controlled by the sensor, and the same sensor control AF mechanism.
I have used 50mm f/1.8 on my D40 for 2.5 years with not a single shot out of focus.
If it is Canon 50mm F1.8 then it is not manual focus lens , Look at the mount of the lens below it has 4 gold plated electronic contacts which mates to camera body electronic contacts and allows AF. If you have to try MF you need to use a old manual lens like Supar Takumar 1.4 mounted using a mechanical coupler to your EOS body.

For experiencing what is MF look at your kit lens it as an AF/MF selecter switch on the side. Select MF using it and try and now the AF assist.It will not work . Alternatively put a tape on the electronic contact point of 50mm f/1.8) and then try.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:05   #4395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post

Few of my friends use with the adapter on the EOS cameras and just for the heck of it not produce some good pics, they have a set of EF-S and EF lenses for their DSLRs!!
Yep, I have tried it as well. Some of my photographs on the non-auto image thread were taken with a Canon FD 50mm f/3.5 with a glass based adapter on my 350D . And I have been able to make some good images with that combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
Hey guys, it's confirmed fungus..please recommend
Send it to canon serive center and they'll fix it for you. They charge about 2k I think.

Quote:
The accuracy exist in the IQ of photographer as well. You need to know the minimum focus distance of the MF lens you are using. Going beyond that distance may end you up in frustration.
EDIT: You may need to practice MF if you are doing macro and super macros.

Sorry for the incorrect info about the silca gel v/s silica sealant. I bought the silica sealant by asking silica gel from a h/w guy. The silica bags can be available at MK Retail (not sure you may have to check).
Once you start shooting macros, the line between AF and MF disappears. Now, I can comfortably move to MF when I want to without thinking that I'll get an OOF picture. And the best part about MF is that you get to choose how you want to include the focal plane in the photograph. MFD is one thing that I look for when buying any lens.

OT: Didn't know you were Bibudesh, the data modeler . Remember this other data modeler?

Quote:
If it is Canon 50mm F1.8 then it is not manual focus lens , Look at the mount of the lens below it has 4 gold plated electronic contacts which mates to camera body electronic contacts and allows AF. If you have to try MF you need to use a old manual lens like Supar Takumar 1.4 mounted using a mechanical coupler to your EOS body.

For experiencing what is MF look at your kit lens it as an AF/MF selecter switch on the side. Select MF using it and try and now the AF assist.It will not work . Alternatively put a tape on the electronic contact point of 50mm f/1.8) and then try.
It does work. Try it out. Put your EF lens on MF, manually focus and half press, the af will beep. It will not work with MF lenses because they do not have an electrical contact.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks