Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 18:25   #4951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
rk, I might end up buying the same set which I could have done long back instead of spending money on Tamron 90 f/2.8 and selling it recently. Tamron was a good dedicated macro lens, but I couldn't like the limited 'working distance'. Did you get it as a set of 3 ? Please mention the 'from' and 'how much' part of it .
Yes I got all three 12, 20 and 36mm tubes, from smartshopper.in, though buying experience was bad due to delays, but anyways I go it. For 7850 Rs
Old 13th September 2010, 20:14   #4952
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rajiv, I guessed the same details, but wondering why you got from smartshoppers when there are shops offering competitive rates around Delhi itself. GD had enquired and given me equal or lower prices whenever I compared south to north .
Old 13th September 2010, 21:37   #4953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Rajiv, I guessed the same details, but wondering why you got from smartshoppers when there are shops offering competitive rates around Delhi itself. GD had enquired and given me equal or lower prices whenever I compared south to north .
I could not find it at Pritam, they had some local brand, cheap, but I loose AF and Metering.

At CP, Alfa and Dass, told me they can bring on order, was not readily available.

at least at smartshopper I could see the actual product.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:22   #4954
Senior - BHPian

Inspite of that my search for the 70~200 F/2.8 VR I has been in vain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Camera markets in all big cities are flooded with common canon and nikon lenses.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:31   #4955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Inspite of that my search for the 70~200 F/2.8 VR I has been in vain.
I patiently waited for 45 days to get hold of one from anywhere in India, was even ready to travel and pick it up personally, but failed and eventually bought Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and its doing all justice. I couldn't ask for more . Sigma is known for having problems atleast few in a series, I believe I got a good piece.
Old 14th September 2010, 13:35   #4956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethan.ram View Post
Cannon offers fee sessions on SLRs. You might was to attend them. I do not have an SLR, but plan to pick up one soon. So thinking of attending one of their sessions. It could be of some help. Check the link for details.

Free Workshop Registration - Canon India

@Amitk26 : I had been to the Canon store and tried few of the, 1000D, 500D and 550D. 550D is way too expensive for me. Between 1000D and 500D, I liked 500D a lot. How much did you pay and where did you pick it up from. Ebay also offers a pretty decent price and also heard the we can buy the same from Metro will will easily cost 2-3k less than the MRP. Please share some of your reviews on the cam. Thanks in advance.
I got a chance to experience 1000D but not happy with the plastic feel, not an expert to comment on technicals. Heard old 450D is far better .

Last edited by jacs : 14th September 2010 at 13:37.
Old 14th September 2010, 14:17   #4957
BHPian

Quote:
Cannon offers fee sessions on SLRs. You might was to attend them. I do not have an SLR, but plan to pick up one soon. So thinking of attending one of their sessions. It could be of some help. Check the link for details.

Free Workshop Registration - Canon India
This workshop seems only for Canon EOS range. Not sure if Nikon will be allowed. Any idea if i can attend with my Nikon 3000D?
Old 14th September 2010, 14:38   #4958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
This workshop seems only for Canon EOS range. Not sure if Nikon will be allowed. Any idea if i can attend with my Nikon 3000D?
They wont entertain Nikon, you need to have a Canon, but they allow people without cameras, cos when I told them I don't have an SLR and I plan to buy one, they asked me to attend the session even without the camera. You can also check out youtube for DSLR sessions, they are pretty good.
Old 14th September 2010, 14:39   #4959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
rk, I might end up buying the same set which I could have done long back instead of spending money on Tamron 90 f/2.8 and selling it recently. Tamron was a good dedicated macro lens, but I couldn't like the limited 'working distance'. Did you get it as a set of 3 ? Please mention the 'from' and 'how much' part of it .

shaju..even i got the Kenko tubes (set of 3) but I am not impressed as focusing is a mess. Its practically impossible to get sharp focus without a very sturdy tripod and a stable subject. I got it for 7000 bucks from Sathya.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:04   #4960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
shaju..even i got the Kenko tubes (set of 3) but I am not impressed as focusing is a mess. Its practically impossible to get sharp focus without a very sturdy tripod and a stable subject. I got it for 7000 bucks from Sathya.
Is it sathya of smartshoppers ? Rajeev got it for 7850, but I am sure direct pick up reduces the price to a decent figure as personally experienced. Are you not doing full manual focus while doing macro ? I dont go out without a tripod if macro is in mind, because mine is not a steady hand .
Old 14th September 2010, 15:28   #4961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@Amitk26 : I had been to the Canon store and tried few of the, 1000D, 500D and 550D. 550D is way too expensive for me. Between 1000D and 500D, I liked 500D a lot. How much did you pay and where did you pick it up from. Ebay also offers a pretty decent price and also heard the we can buy the same from Metro will will easily cost 2-3k less than the MRP. Please share some of your reviews on the cam. Thanks in advance.
Well I purchased 500D before launch of 550D so the price is no longer applicable. Got mine from Adorama USA , I purchased T1i( 500D) online and shipped to someone in USA who brought it back for me. At that time price in India was 46K with kit lens and from Adorma I got it at 38K without bag and SD card which Canon India provides.So purchased a Class 6 ,16 GB card and a camera bag from Amazon.

500D is a good camera with almost all essential features for a bigginers, If you compare to 1000D there are lots of features in 500D.

I may not be competent to do review and comparison because this is the only DSLR body I have so don't really know what 500D lacks.

But if I compare it with next better camera in same price bracket ( 50D ) then 50D has following things over and above 500D in my personal opinion.

1. Micro Focus adjustment : Many people complain about XYZ lens being soft while others go gaga over the same , reason is that lens are built with some tolerence ( say +/- 3%) and camera body has some tolerence ( lets say +/- 3% again) it the tolerances in focusing and body are way off then worst case 6% diff will produce soft images with same lens which gives excellent image to another person so a micro focus adjustment is one feature in body which advanced users need to calibrate and use any lens. In case you have a XXXD body then probably you will end up selling off that beautiful prime /zoom for lack of IQ.

Canon XXX D cams ( 450D,500D and 550D) does not have this feature.
I am not aware about Nikons but Pentax K-x ( entry level) has a admin menu hack for micro focus adjustment.

2. Magnesium alloy body : Canon 1000D , 450D , 500D and 550D are plastics over steel chassis. Not that magnesium alloy body is a big plus for average joe because you will be handling the expensive equipment with care and until you drop it does not make big difference :-)

50D does not have video but then if you have a camcorder probably you can do away with video.
Old 14th September 2010, 15:46   #4962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
But if I compare it with next better camera in same price bracket ( 50D ) then 50D has following things over and above 500D in my personal opinion.

50D does not have video but then if you have a camcorder probably you can do away with video.
Thank you so much for writing in detail. You have mentioned that 50D is in the same price bracket, but when I checked online, there is a price difference and 50D is way too expensive. I guess I'll have to settle for 500D.
Old 14th September 2010, 16:27   #4963
BHPian

Quote:
They wont entertain Nikon, you need to have a Canon, but they allow people without cameras, cos when I told them I don't have an SLR and I plan to buy one, they asked me to attend the session even without the camera. You can also check out Youtube for DSLR sessions, they are pretty good.
Doing it diligently everyday! Have learnt a whole lot of stuff. Thanks and Good luck on your purchase!!
Old 14th September 2010, 21:57   #4964
Senior - BHPian

Thought of presenting my birding equipment as of today , a poor man's birding set up by any standards, so please dont compare. Its 400mm f/5.6 at its best. Featuring;

Nikon D90 with MB-D80 battery pack
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8
Sigma 2x Teleconverter
Matin neck strap
Fiesol CB Tripod
Benro BH-0 ball head
The DSLR Thread-nikond90.jpg
Camera is at 6 feet height in the picture, it can go upto 7 feet.

Last edited by shajufx : 14th September 2010 at 21:58.
Old 14th September 2010, 22:09   #4965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Quote:
Is it sathya of smartshoppers ? Rajeev got it for 7850, but I am sure direct pick up reduces the price to a decent figure as personally experienced. Are you not doing full manual focus while doing macro ? I dont go out without a tripod if macro is in mind, because mine is not a steady hand .
Here is another shot 12+20mm tube with 18-55mm. I think tripod is always recommended on macro shots and I don't know if there is any solution for moving objects for macro.

@robimahanta, which lens you have been using with tubes?

The DSLR Thread-_dsc5883.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks