Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 15:05   #5221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Ah! Then what you were referring to was the crop factor (equivalent to FX) instead of the focal length of the lens.

Focal length denoted by markings on the DX lens barrel would be the same...which is what I was referring to.
Please take note of the word "Effective" pre-fixed to focal length this is how it is conveniently mentioned in popular literature on Photography and nearly universal term to establish equivalence with out explaining high school optics on how area of plane matters in image projection.
Old 5th October 2010, 15:20   #5222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Please take note of the word "Effective" pre-fixed to focal length this is how it is conveniently mentioned in popular literature on Photography and nearly universal term to establish equivalence with out explaining high school optics on how area of plane matters in image projection.
Agreed...but then without going into the jargon of optics, high school or otherwise, how are we to answer a question that is posed by many?

Frankly this conversion factor is purely academic and just serves to complicate things. I mean anybody who owns a DSLR will use either the viewfinder and/or the LCD monitor to compose his or her photograph.
Take the example of a simple P&S. How many of us really go into converting the sensor size or the focal length of that camera's lens to FX equivalent instead of just shooting?
Old 5th October 2010, 15:29   #5223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed...but then without going into the jargon of optics, high school or otherwise, how are we to answer a question that is posed by many?

Frankly this conversion factor is purely academic and just serves to complicate things. I mean anybody who owns a DSLR will use either the viewfinder and/or the LCD monitor to compose his or her photograph.
Take the example of a simple P&S. How many of us really go into converting the sensor size or the focal length of that camera's lens to FX equivalent instead of just shooting?
Well to an extent I agree but then SLR lenses cost a fortune so people want to read up and view photos before deciding what focal length suits best.

For example in my case I need to see a lot of results and read about discussions before I can choose one out of 24/28 /35 or 50 mm lens , As an hobbyists I can not simply pick 3-4 prime lenses so if I like the result it is Important to find if result I am seeing is on FF or APS-C and what lens before I spend the money.

Even after this readup is buying prime lens justified when kit zoom covers the same focal length range is another big question which one need to answer.
Old 5th October 2010, 15:47   #5224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well to an extent I agree but then SLR lenses cost a fortune so people want to read up and view photos before deciding what focal length suits best.

Even after this readup is buying prime lens justified when kit zoom covers the same focal length range is another big question which one need to answer.
While you can gauge the effectiveness of a lens by peering at photos it is not the optimum way. Best to experience them for yourself. Try going to a camera shop that allows you to try a couple of lenses on your camera before you can decide.

As for primes v/s zooms - with some exceptions, for a given focal length primes are more expensive. As amateurs we could probably do with 1-2 low to middle of the rung fast primes and 1 zoom. The Nikon 50mm 1.8D or 1.4D lenses come to mind as does the 70-300 zoom (non VR but ED version). The 1st two are good for low light and portraits while the zoom covers the rest.

The thing is, I waited for Nikon to introduce FX cameras primarily because my older lenses are film SLR based. To me buying a DX SLR posed a problem as I didn't want to build my lens collection all over again.
Old 5th October 2010, 16:28   #5225
Senior - BHPian

A curious question about pricing

I picked up a made in Malaysia Canon 55-250 IS from bangalore for INR 10.5k last month. The price for the same last week at KL was about 15K. Why is that so?
Old 5th October 2010, 16:38   #5226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Dare I say I see the next Rudra da here?
I think Rudra da is 55+, so I have another 17+ years to struggle and try my luck . I prefer to age trying something new than being content with the past !

Quote:
....Even after this readup is buying prime lens justified when kit zoom covers the same focal length range is another big question which one need to answer.
That million dollar question will remain that way life-long !! LOL

Quote:
.....I waited for Nikon to introduce FX cameras primarily because my older lenses are film SLR based. To me buying a DX SLR posed a problem as I didn't want to build my lens collection all over again.
Always wanted to ask, which body did you end up buying ? Any extra primes that are unused or ready to go out of the collection ?
Old 5th October 2010, 17:03   #5227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I think Rudra da is 55+, so I have another 17+ years to struggle and try my luck . I prefer to age trying something new than being content with the past !

Always wanted to ask, which body did you end up buying ? Any extra primes that are unused or ready to go out of the collection ?
I am sure you will gain a lot in terms of your knowledge and skills in those 17 years. That photo of the little girl you posted in the other thread was lovely. I cant forget it.

I have a D700. My current lens kit comprises of a 50mm F1.4-D, 28-105-D, a 70-300 AF-S VR & 24-120 AF-S VR (all Nikkor FX lenses). I am thinking of selling the 50mm 1.4D and 28-105.

On my wish list are the 70-200 F2.8 AF-S VR-II and the 16-35 F4 AF-S VR OR 14-24 F2.8 AFS. But as you can imagine with these lenses $$ is a very big constraining factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I picked up a made in Malaysia Canon 55-250 IS from bangalore for INR 10.5k last month. The price for the same last week at KL was about 15K. Why is that so?
Prices depend from country to country due to Canon's/Nikon's policies and the incidence of local taxes and duties.

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th October 2010 at 17:17. Reason: Corrected typo
Old 5th October 2010, 17:42   #5228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....photo of the little girl you posted in the other thread was lovely. I cant forget it.

I have a D700.........I am thinking of selling the 50mm 1.4D and 28-105.

On my wish list are the 70-200 F2.8 AF-S VR-II and the 16-35 F4 AF-S VR OR 14-24 F2.8 AFS.
Thanks for the compliment, its a haunting and emotional image for me too, since I have seen the surroundings where the little girl lives.

I am sure D700 serves all your quality demands and much more. As of now, my budget permits only to look at that, not anything higher, although D3X is a dream. My wish list had 70-200 VR-I, but couldn't source it from anywhere and finally settled for Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and nothing to complain so far. Remaining shortlisted lenses are 14-24 f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.4 (mostly AF-S). Not forgetting a 24-70 f/2.8 to complete the list, but so far not finding a need ! I really wish wifee or her friends or siblings dont see this post, I will be a nomad sadhu overnite

Any reason you are selling 50mm 1.4 D ? I think the manual override on focus ring is the only commendable difference.

Last edited by shajufx : 5th October 2010 at 17:44.
Old 5th October 2010, 19:30   #5229
BHPian

I was searching for photography website and found this spa website and liked the pictures. Click on the first thumbnail and keep clicking on next button.

Photo Gallery :: Camelback Inn Resort & Spa Scottsdale, Arizona

How did he managed to shot such cleanest pictures? Is it a lens or high-end DSLR? I want to take such clean shot as well, will my Canon 400D be able to capture such shots with some good lens? or do I have to change the body as well?

My next plan is to upgrade to some good canon L lens or Canon 7D body. If I am able to capture such clean shot with Canon 400D then I will buy some good L lens otherwise my next upgrade will be Canon 7D. Please advice.
Old 5th October 2010, 19:53   #5230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure D700 serves all your quality demands and much more. As of now, my budget permits only to look at that, not anything higher, although D3X is a dream. My wish list had 70-200 VR-I, but couldn't source it from anywhere and finally settled for Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and nothing to complain so far. Remaining shortlisted lenses are 14-24 f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.4 (mostly AF-S). Not forgetting a 24-70 f/2.8 to complete the list, but so far not finding a need ! I really wish wifee or her friends or siblings dont see this post, I will be a nomad sadhu overnite

Any reason you are selling 50mm 1.4 D ? I think the manual override on focus ring is the only commendable difference.
Oh the D700 was the only FX camera body I could afford to buy at this time. It is a great camera, lovely to hold, just like the pro and semi pro Nikon film SLRs I've owned in the past. I've just begun to scratch the surface with its capabilities. The low light response is great and I am hoping to take some photos during the upcoming festive season. The D3X was way too expensive and possibly overkill for an amateur like me. Besides I'd rather invest in lenses than pro bodies.

I too have to hide my photo gear wish list from my spouse otherwise I am in trouble.

I am now in the process of converting my old D lenses to AFS/VR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
How did he managed to shot such cleanest pictures? Is it a lens or high-end DSLR?
They are no doubt a pro's handiwork The pics you see are a result of a pro SLR body and definitely high end lenses combined with some post processing as well.
Old 5th October 2010, 20:24   #5231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
My next plan is to upgrade to some good canon L lens or Canon 7D body. If I am able to capture such clean shot with Canon 400D then I will buy some good L lens otherwise my next upgrade will be Canon 7D. Please advice.
Get a tripod if you dont have one already, sharpness will improve even on a kit lens. Next step could be getting some primes, you will start wondering where the quality is coming from. Getting L lenses and body upgrade are an ongoing process, once you get bitten, it goes on forever .

Quote:
...The D3X was way too expensive and possibly overkill for an amateur like me. Besides I'd rather invest in lenses than pro bodies.
D3X is still an overkill and totally way over budget even for PROs, unless they have high net worth clients. Do you have any web links to your works ?
Old 6th October 2010, 08:08   #5232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
D3X is still an overkill and totally way over budget even for PROs, unless they have high net worth clients. Do you have any web links to your works ?
Yes, I've even read about some pros criticizing Nikon for pricing the D3X way higher than it should have.

Changed over from film v recently (though I've had 2 Sony digital P&Ses) and I am still taking baby steps in the digital world. I don't have any web links to show my photographs but I am hoping to put some up after the festive season.
Old 6th October 2010, 09:30   #5233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For example in my case I need to see a lot of results and read about discussions before I can choose one out of 24/28 /35 or 50 mm lens , As an hobbyists I can not simply pick 3-4 prime lenses so if I like the result it is Important to find if result I am seeing is on FF or APS-C and what lens before I spend the money.
Well said. Spending money, carrying lot of lenses in the bag, changing them often thereby increased risk to mount/sensor are practicalities that one need to think about. For me, buying a lens, trying it out and selling soon is not a comfortable option. I would rather try to understand what I want by reading a lot.

Quote:
Low light capability could be a requirement which makes many think of primes.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:00   #5234
Team-BHP Support

A question on equipments folks carry when on holiday:

1. Currently we get very good camcorders, which also record beautiful stills as well. (Obviously not as good as SLR, but still great for a holiday)

2. We also have an SLR which can record HD and take benchmark snaps.

But Hard-Disk based camcorders have so much space, and hence folks wont care about disk getting full. (I have a Sony SR-11 with 60GB space, records Full HD and 5.1 Audio and snaps at 10MP)

So the question is how does one decide. (I know most answers would differ person to person. But just wanted to get a perspective)

One View: If you are a photography guy, no prizes for guessing the answer.
But if you are not and are OK with either, then what? Its definitely not easy carrying all the electronics.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:05   #5235
Senior - BHPian

I read its not recommended to use DSLRs for capturing video since life of sensor would reduce drastically. Most of the modern P&S cams provide good video options, that should do for a more photo and some video catagory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A question on equipments folks carry when on holiday:

1. Currently we get very good camcorders, which also record beautiful stills as well. (Obviously not as good as SLR, but still great for a holiday)

2. We also have an SLR which can record HD and take benchmark snaps.

But Hard-Disk based camcorders have so much space, and hence folks wont care about disk getting full. (I have a Sony SR-11 with 60GB space, records Full HD and 5.1 Audio and snaps at 10MP)

So the question is how does one decide. (I know most answers would differ person to person. But just wanted to get a perspective)

One View: If you are a photography guy, no prizes for guessing the answer.
But if you are not and are OK with either, then what? Its definitely not easy carrying all the electronics.

Most Viewed