Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2015, 21:27   #13846
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to move from taking snapshots to creating photos that inspire people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Any long lens at that focal length would have given a similar bokeh. There was gap b/w the butterfly and background, good enough for any lens at 500mm.

Will take a few more days for feedback about moving subjects. I might be going on a long wildlife roadtrip next week.
So my trip has been postponed to early Nov. So field report will have to wait.

Btw, I feel that the difference in sharpness w.r.t the Tamron 150-600mm is negligible. Here is a ISO 720 shot (a test shot, just a snapshot) I had taken from my terrace with the D7100 + Tamron 150-600mm. Slightly cropped photo.

The DSLR Thread-dsc_3194.jpg

I am still not sure about how good the AF is, haven't had a chance to test properly on moving subjects. I do read that the AF would be better on full frame bodies with better AF motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Since now we have an in-house Nikkor 200-500 user, we don’t have to keep searching for reviews/pictures elsewhere.
Please do give us regular updates and pictures as you spent your time with it.

Have you ever used it with the AF-S 1.4x iii TC ?
No, and I don't want to. AF gets affected at f/8. So far I am not jumping with joy regarding the AF of the 200-500mm at f/5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Isn't that so very important?

I keep seeing talks about upgrade. More often than not upgrades are for the sake of upgrade.
It is something like - I couldn't do it because I didn't have that camera/lens. So I've to get it.

I know someone who shoots with more than a decade old camera and produces excellent images.
I still miss my 1Ds Mark II especially when I go through my old files. Yes, I'm also a victim of this trend.

This thread is getting too technical. Yes, upgrade is important only if it makes a significant difference.
Oh well. Let me argue a little

Sometimes upgrade is worth it. Depends on the genre I guess. For my favourite genre - wildlife - better capability is always welcome, given same level of skill. Longer each, better high ISO capabilities, better AF, better buffer etc. If skill is equal for two wildlife photographers, the one with better gear will come away with better photos if distance, movement, low light are constraints.

Example: the 4th shot here http://www.gregdutoit.com/index.php?page=boomslang wouldn't be possible without a high burst/buffer camera.

To give an example of what I had in mind for this thread when I made that original post which you quoted: this photographer does a very good job talking about decisions in the field, composition, camera settings and post processing. http://www.naturalart.ca/galleries/l...detail_11.html

Last edited by nilanjanray : 18th October 2015 at 21:29.
Old 19th October 2015, 12:59   #13847
M35
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Yes, upgrade is important only if it makes a significant difference.

Very well said Sir !

Quote:
Here is a ISO 720 shot (a test shot, just a snapshot) I had taken from my terrace with the D7100 + Tamron 150-600mm. Slightly cropped photo.
That says it all.

Quote:
Sometimes upgrade is worth it.
If it significantly increases your keeper rate.
I did upgrade from a D7000 to D610 and then to a D810 in very short time, in search of the ultimate camera. For me, while the former was a significant upgrade, the latter was not and it would probably have at the hands of a person with more advanced skills.

Lesson learnt:

When it comes to gear acquisitions, there are advantages to spending more than just the basic, but sooner you reach a point at which further spending doesn't really gain you very much.
Old 19th October 2015, 17:10   #13848
Senior - BHPian

I got the new 55-200 VR2 during the mega sale period in the last week. The MRP is 15,650/, but I got it for 8,600/-. I also have a 70-200mm f/2.8 at home, but thats a-very heavy and b-very expensive to carry it anywhere and everywhere. So bought this one as a carry anywhere anytime lens.

The DSLR Thread-55200.jpg
Old 19th October 2015, 18:11   #13849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't that so very important?

I keep seeing talks about upgrade. More often than not upgrades are for the sake of upgrade.
It is something like - I couldn't do it because I didn't have that camera/lens. So I've to get it.

I know someone who shoots with more than a decade old camera and produces excellent images.
I still miss my 1Ds Mark II especially when I go through my old files. Yes, I'm also a victim of this trend.

This thread is getting too technical. Yes, upgrade is important only if it makes a significant difference.
Some situations do require additional equipment, especially if you are professional photographer. For example
. Sports photographer benefits with a fast burst rate, faster AF, and a faster lens.
. If you want to shoot wild life from a distance, you need longer focal lengths.
. For Architectural photography a good wide angle lens, preferably a TS will do wonders.

That said, for most of us who are not professional photographers, most of the equipment we have does produce excellent photographs within the limitations of the equipment. For those who want to document their travels or social occasions, the basic camera with kit lens is good enough. Beyond that it is mostly "Want" and rarely "Need".
Old 20th October 2015, 19:32   #13850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I got the new 55-200 VR2 during the mega sale period in the last week. The MRP is 15,650/, but I got it for 8,600/-
That is a very good deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Some situations do require additional equipment, especially if you are professional photographer. For example
. Sports photographer benefits with a fast burst rate, faster AF, and a faster lens.
. If you want to shoot wild life from a distance, you need longer focal lengths.
. For Architectural photography a good wide angle lens, preferably a TS will do wonders.

That said, for most of us who are not professional photographers, most of the equipment we have does produce excellent photographs within the limitations of the equipment. For those who want to document their travels or social occasions, the basic camera with kit lens is good enough. Beyond that it is mostly "Want" and rarely "Need".
Nice post. But, what is 'pro gear', and who is a 'pro'? Someone who earns most of his money through photography? Or someone who uses, and is an expert with high end gear e.g. a D4 + 400mm f/2.8?

----------
Back to the 200-500mm. I am trying to classify problem shots into four buckets: lens issue, user issue, atmospheric issue and unknown.

Atmospheric issue: at 500mm, heat waves can cause too much of interference. Today afternoon I was shooting a cow, couldn't figure out why my photos were not sharp enough. The cow was 150 feet away, and it was hot.

Lens issue: mainly regarding AF. It requires good contrast to lock on properly. The 80-400mm is better IMO.

User issue: I am finding many lol
* Will need a lot of practice to react fast with a 2.3 kg, 750mm equivalent lens. This is a lot heavier and longer than the 80-400mm, which I have used extensively. It is easier to point at the subject at 200mm, but it takes a couple of seconds to turn the focal length ring, get to 500mm and focus. Its like taking a snapshot with a heavy rifle - need to be able to point right, or at least come very close. I want to 'meet a SLA' of 3 seconds in the first few months - from camera down, to focus lock on at 500mm. Then eventually get to 2 seconds.
* Need a lot of practice with panning at 500mm. I didn't have issues shooting BIF or fast moving animals with a 70-300mm or 80-400mm, I am having issues with this. A matter of practice.
* Need to practice keeping focus while changing focal length - e.g. a fast approaching animal coming head on. Or using manual focus. Main issue: ergonomics. I have to balance the heavy lens using my left hand while turning the ring with the same hand.

Am going to Tadoba end of the month, I don't want to miss shots, or get out of focus shots when I meet tigers

A few more shots with the lens, taken today.

Cat below the neighbour's car. ISO 2500 shot, cropped photo. Sigh. This is like moving from Highland Park (tiger) to Officer's Choice (neighbourhood feral cat).
The DSLR Thread-dsc_5538.jpg

Checking the outer focus points
The DSLR Thread-dsc_5693.jpg

Practicing panning/baby steps with BIF.
The DSLR Thread-dsc_5645.jpg

Shooting into the sun (backlit subjects - e.g. when I meet a backlit animal). How the lens performs when pointing at a source of light.
The DSLR Thread-dsc_5678.jpg

The moon today afternoon. Cropped photo.
The DSLR Thread-dsc_5720.jpg

Testing outer focus points, while enjoying the sunset
The DSLR Thread-dsc_5685.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 20th October 2015 at 19:40.
Old 21st October 2015, 05:44   #13851
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Practicing panning/baby steps with BIF.
Attachment 1429612
Practice, practice and more practice will eventually get one there.

My second visit to Ranganthittu for BIF shots went in vain, yielding almost NO usable images of birds in flight. I had a very capable D810 body with me but when coupled with a Tamron 150-600, I couldn’t simply get anything moving in focus. I should blame it on my skills or rather lack of it, I guess.

The DSLR Thread-dsc_36277.jpg
D810 + Tamron 150-600

During my first visit, I had lots of fun with a D610 + Sigma 150-500, coming back with a handful of usable BIF images. So it is how fast one gets used to a new gear for a particular situation, for which, spending some serious time behind the lens is a must.
The DSLR Thread-dsc_5119-cropc65.jpg
D610 + Sigma 150-500

BTW, Nice moon shot.

Last edited by M35 : 21st October 2015 at 05:46.
Old 31st October 2015, 17:42   #13852
BHPian

@Rudra da, I read it on the internet, they have termed it as G.A.S (Gear Acquisition Syndrom) :P
I am using a Nikon D90 with 18-105mm kit Lens and a Nikon 35mm 1.8G.
The DSLR Thread-horsecopy.jpg
The photograph above was taken in Mirik.
The DSLR Thread-cloud_wp.jpg
This photo has an interesting story.. I was returning home in my WEGO,when the cloud started forming. I quickly realised what to photograph. At the back of my mind I was thinking "please don't start raining now". Also I was being careful on the road. Couldn't afford to lose my life for a photograph
Luck was on my side, came home, grabbed my camera, went to the terrace. Click, click, click... full satisfaction.
Also clicked some lighting shots but didn't turn out as expected.
Old 31st October 2015, 20:15   #13853
BHPian

I think the great Nikon sale was a boon for everyone.
I bought the 16-35 f/4 to complement the D800.
Here are a few shots from goa using the combo.
The DSLR Thread-dsc_7096.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc_7110.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc_7431.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc_7622.jpg

The one below was shot using the 85 f/1.8G. I must this is heck of a lens.
The DSLR Thread-dsc_7297.jpg
Old 1st November 2015, 18:17   #13854
M35
BHPian

Quote:
I get the quality part. But I didn't feel the bokeh was 'better' (w.r.t competition at same focal length)...
This is what I meant. I doubt if I could get such a creamy bokeh with a Tamron 150-600. Shot at 6.00pm on a cloudy winter day.
The DSLR Thread-_dsc50862.jpg

Quote:
Btw, I feel that the difference in sharpness w.r.t the Tamron 150-600mm is negligible.
But for me, the difference has been quite significant. Just my initial impressions from some 20 images taken straight out of the box today.
Old 10th November 2015, 12:02   #13855
BHPian

Just got myself a Hoya ND8 and CPL filter kit.
Costed me 4400 INR.
Haven't used them yet, plan to capture some silky water shots on my upcoming trip to Srinagar.
Old 11th November 2015, 10:10   #13856
BHPian

I have just upgraded to a D810 from a D90. My Tamron 150-600 now seems much sharper. Here's an image shot with the combo-
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-white-throated-kingfisher2.jpg  

Old 11th November 2015, 10:40   #13857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
I have just upgraded to a D810 from a D90. My Tamron 150-600 now seems much sharper. Here's an image shot with the combo-
Some times one needs to do focal plane adjustment at the camera for a specific lens. In canon bodies this is called micro adjustment. Could you check if this solves your sharpness point on the D810?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/P...ment-tips.aspx

I have exploited this capability once to pick up a lens for very cheap and used it to its proper potential.
Old 11th November 2015, 13:51   #13858
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
Nice shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential View Post
Could you check if this solves your sharpness point on the D810?
It looks nice and sharp to me. One needs to think of AF fine tune only if you see any front/back focus evident in your pictures.

Shot this with my copy of Nikkor 200-500 on a D810.
The DSLR Thread-_dsc6618.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th November 2015 at 13:57. Reason: Quoted post deleted. Please share your high-res snaps on the thread directly. Thanks!
Old 11th November 2015, 15:11   #13859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Nice shot.

It looks nice and sharp to me. One needs to think of AF fine tune only if you see any front/back focus evident in your pictures.

Shot this with my copy of Nikkor 200-500 on a D810.
Attachment 1438092
Nice timing and shot.

I am back from my trip. Happy that I bought the Nikon 200-500mm. It performed as per my expectations in the field. It was able to track birds in flight, as well as get me decent shots at 1/40s, 500mm, ISO 6400 in bad light.
Old 11th November 2015, 17:05   #13860
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Happy that I bought the Nikon 200-500mm.
Same here.
A TC 14III is on order. Tried the lens with a 14E II in very bad light and was quite happy with the output. 700mm reach should help for perched birds.
Quote:
I am back from my trip. It performed as per my expectations in the field. It was able to track birds in flight, as well as get me decent shots at 1/40s, 500mm, ISO 6400 in bad light.
Awaiting some photos and log now

Last edited by M35 : 11th November 2015 at 17:09.

Most Viewed