Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2016, 20:04   #14341
JLS
BHPian

Re: D500 Metering

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The metering of the Nikon D500 is rather nice, reminds me of the D810's.
Sir, take a bow - metering may be nice but credit goes to the photographer

Quote:
And also for forestscapes
Attachment 1578482

Will write a photologue if I get time. Very few animals this time, except rhinos and deers. Someone else saw a tiger in the lights of a Gypsy at 6 pm, #lucky.
Absolutely loved the forest-scape!
Thanks for sharing - this shot is inspiring me to take my gear out and go shoot somewhere - may be sometime.
Old 2nd December 2016, 23:24   #14342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Sir, take a bow - metering may be nice but credit goes to the photographer

Absolutely loved the forest-scape!
Thanks for sharing - this shot is inspiring me to take my gear out and go shoot somewhere - may be sometime.
Thanks. Btw that forestscape is an ISO 5600 shot, it was dark under the canopy.
Old 3rd December 2016, 00:52   #14343
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
There was a discussion here about making money through photography on stock photo websites, I'd uploaded just 3 pics out of curiosity and well that's how I earned my first $ literally.

Also, it happened through iStock, though I have like 11 pics on alamy but nothing there except zooms and views.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-img_20161203_005027.jpg  

Old 5th December 2016, 18:47   #14344
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need suggestion. My 1100 D which I have used since 2012 for model car and family photography has broken down with mother board failure. The cost towards repair is 8k at cannon service center.

Since I am just a casual photographer, what should I do - repair the camera or buy a new one. And is there any cheaper alternative to repairing. I am from Bangalore.
Old 5th December 2016, 18:49   #14345
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Since I am just a casual photographer, what should I do - repair the camera or buy a new one. And is there any cheaper alternative to repairing. I am from Bangalore.
One option- get at least a used, newer camera. Sell the current on for parts. Or if you can, a new one.

Last edited by condor : 5th December 2016 at 18:51.
Old 5th December 2016, 20:03   #14346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, need suggestion. My 1100 D which I have used since 2012 for model car and family photography has broken down with mother board failure. The cost towards repair is 8k at cannon service center.

I'd recommend buying a new one.

The 1300D with kit lens was available for around 17-18K during the Diwali festive sale.
Old 19th December 2016, 14:31   #14347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was in the same boat Manish. My 1000D started showing shutter error almost an year back and the frequency of occurrence increased day by day and is now not usable. I tried with Canon authorized service but repair costs comes to INR 10000 approx as its a board level issue as per them.

It doesn't really makes sense to invest that kind of money for a 5+ year old stuff and went ahead with a new one. Lenses do last long but body is sheer luck and 2 years warranty is peace of mind. If you are on tight budget, I suggest sourcing a Canon 1200D or 1300D online. Saw deals starting 18K ish.

If you haven't invested heavily on lenses and stuff, you could consider going with a Nikon 3300D too which has more features and better build at around 22k.

I went for a Nikon 5200D at 24.5K which felt a good upgrade. And non-working body along with kit lens and stuff is on sale in OLX at a throw-away price which is getting response already.

Last edited by jacs : 19th December 2016 at 14:45.
Old 6th January 2017, 02:42   #14348
BHPian

Hey everyone !!

Happy new year 2017 !!

I need some help in deciding a camera to buy. Initially, I was all set out for the Nikon D5300. Then I kept on reading and researching on various sites, YouTube and of course, Team-BHP forums (This thread as well as the Mirrorless/EVIL cameras thread).

The options currently in my mind are:
1. Nikon D5300 (I am aware of the Auto Focus noise present during video shooting)
2. Canon 750D
3. A Mirrorless camera by Olympus/FujiFilm/Panasonic (I am not a big fan of Sony)
The Third option came thanks to Team-BHP, many BHPians have said that if your main use is to JUST take photos with some manual adjustments, for portability and for recording movies; then the Mirrorless cameras are the way to go.

A bit about me, cause obviously you can't just recommend a camera without knowing my needs. I am a doctor, and I love driving, being adventurous, exploring new places and taking photos of places I visit. I can't really say whether I take predominantly landscape or portrait shots, but it will definitely be a mixed use.I usually take photos on my phone cameras (Lumia 920, 830 & Lenovo Vibe Shot) and although it does meet most of my day-to-day needs; there are times where I wish I had something more; better to capture the moment, hence my quest for a DSLR now. In a group of friends, I would be the guy taking 99% of all the photos. Back in the day, my dad and I used to love taking photographs on films (Minolta and Olympus cameras mostly) and when the digital camera era had started, I used Olympus point and shoot cameras as well as super-zoom cameras (These cameras used to use the XD type memory cards). Recently, while I and my dad were having nostalgia about back in the day, I felt like we should invest in a proper DSLR. Since our use won't be hardcore professional shots, I felt starting off with an upper-entry-level DSLR should be good. Well, That's it! I am open to all suggestions pointing me in the right direction. I don't mind criticism either; I don't want to be a professional photographer or anything; it's an old hobby which I am looking to start again. The world through my eyes is good enough for me.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th January 2019 at 08:30. Reason: Small typos corrected. Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 06:09   #14349
BANNED

Guys, I am using a Sony Alpha and now a days I am facing a peculiar issue. The screen at the back has developed a mind of its own. Whenever I try to turn it up or down, either the display goes off or the screen turns white or it simply displays what it sees. Anyone facing similar issues? If yes, is changing the screen and it's mounts a viable option?

I seldom use the camera, and buying one just for clicking a thousand pics in an entire year doesn't sound practical to me.
Old 6th January 2017, 14:47   #14350
BANNED

@VKumar; Looks like a bad lead into the display. Could be a break or a bad connector so something. My view will be to grin and bear it, unless it can be done under warranty. If so make a lot of noise.
Old 6th January 2017, 17:01   #14351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
The screen at the back has developed a mind of its own. Whenever I try to turn it up or down, either the display goes off or the screen turns white or it simply displays what it sees.
is changing the screen and it's mounts a viable option?
I doubt the issue should be with the worn out flex cable / ribbon or lose connection. Get it checked from the service center.
Old 7th January 2017, 18:47   #14352
Senior - BHPian

The D5300 and 750D are competing series. A serious feature to feature comparison you can do on your own but using two competing older DSLRs from the same series (D5100 and 500D) back to back I feel that, as far as entry level DSLRs are concerned:

a. Nikons have better sensors. Especially at high ISOs, Nikon D5300 kind of pushes well to ISO 3200 while ISO 1600 is pretty much the usable limit for Canon 500D (without too much work on the computer).

b. Canons have better ergonomics / interface and a white balance algorithm that is much better suited for non-Caucasian (esp. Indian) skin tones. When I use the Nikon and Canon on "Auto White Balance", I almost always have to tweak the Nikon images for White Balance while Canon does just fine.

I don't think that D5300 and 750D are hugely different from the cameras that I use except for better images at high ISOs, more megapixels and better autofocus.

Bear in mind that with a DSLR a lot depends on the lenses. You will need really good lenses to extract the best out of the body. And really good lenses are costly.

Regarding mirrorless over a DSLR, I feel a mirrorless makes sense only if you go for small lenses. With a larger lens, the biggest advantages of mirrorless: small size and weight, gets negated. I have a mirrorless which I carry everywhere and everyday, but that is because it has one of the smallest good quality lenses on it. If I were to plonk a huge lens on it, I would prefer the DSLR.

(Note: Above is my personal opinion. Secondly, I shoot almost everyday with one of my 5-6 film cameras. They are my first love, still).

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
The options currently in my mind are:
1. Nikon D5300 (I am aware of the Auto Focus noise present during video shooting)
2. Canon 750D
3. A Mirrorless camera by Olympus/FujiFilm/Panasonic (I am not a big fan of Sony)
The Third option came thanks to Team-BHP, many BHPians have said that if your main use is to JUST take photos with some manual adjustments, for portability and for recording movies; then the Mirrorless cameras are the way to go

I felt like we should invest in a proper DSLR. Since our use won't be hardcore professional shots, I felt starting off with an upper-entry-level DSLR should be good.
Old 10th January 2017, 09:04   #14353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
One option- get at least a used, newer camera. Sell the current on for parts. Or if you can, a new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I'd recommend buying a new one.

The 1300D with kit lens was available for around 17-18K during the Diwali festive sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
If you haven't invested heavily on lenses and stuff, you could consider going with a Nikon 3300D too which has more features and better build at around 22k.
Guys, thanks for the help. Since I was real tight on budget and that my camera use is just for clicking scale models. I decided to give it to Mata Electronics they repaired the same for 5,500 rupees. Been a week and so far has been clicking pictures.

* Picture quality reduced a lot for uploading it here.

The DSLR Thread-img_79731.jpg
Old 10th January 2017, 09:17   #14354
Senior - BHPian

@manishalive - what's your feedback on Mata electronics ?

I've read some not-so-good feedback about them on the net.
Old 10th January 2017, 09:42   #14355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I decided to give it to Mata Electronics they repaired the same for 5,500 rupees. Been a week and so far has been clicking pictures.

* Picture quality reduced a lot for uploading it here.

Attachment 1593840
5.5K looks okay since any decent used body demands close to 10K. By the way, would you mind detailing the repairing done by them. Might help me to fix my cam and sell it off.

Nice pic of the beetle. Keep shooting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks