Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2017, 20:30   #14581
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Oh I ask the bird to come back again during golden light and sit somewhere.
Superb pictures. Beautiful.

And what an easy technique! I'll certainly be trying that, thanks. Oh... but then, there's some stuff you do with the camera!

Old 17th October 2017, 15:27   #14582
M35
BHPian

The current generation sensors allow you to recover the details at post, even if you get the exposure wrong in the field.

This was shot against the sky, but not as bright. Didn't get time to adjust the exposure compensation. Was pleasantly surprised to see a keeper at post.

The DSLR Thread-dsc22963.jpg
Old 18th October 2017, 09:02   #14583
Senior - BHPian

I'm getting a Neewer TT560 flash from the US https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Speedl...A1TWYOEZDEPK0M.

I don't have much idea on flashes. What batteries are needed for the flash ? My usage will be spare , can I manage with non-rechargeable AA batteries , how many shots would I get ?

If I need to buy rechargeable ones , any budget recommendations ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 18th October 2017 at 09:03.
Old 18th October 2017, 09:31   #14584
Senior - BHPian

I need some advice regarding HDR.

I have a Canon 600D and I am in no mood to upgrade.
Also, I have a google Pixel phone which has got one of the best cameras among smartphones. One of the great features of the Pixel is HDR+ which basically takes multiple shots and provides a great dynamic range. During my recent trip, I observed that the Pixel was producing better photos in terms of dynamic range because of HDR+ than the Canon DSLR in several scenarios with bright backlight etc

I know we can do exposure bracketing in DSLR but it does not have a native HDR feature. I feel this is making my DSLR pretty useless in many scenarios. Should I sell my DSLR and go for a newer one? is there any easy-to-use software for HDR which can be used in post-processing? Please advice.
Old 18th October 2017, 20:29   #14585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

Also, I have a google Pixel phone which has got one of the best cameras among smartphones. One of the great features of the Pixel is HDR+ which basically takes multiple shots and provides a great dynamic range. During my recent trip, I observed that the Pixel was producing better photos in terms of dynamic range because of HDR+ than the Canon DSLR in several scenarios with bright backlight etc

I know we can do exposure bracketing in DSLR but it does not have a native HDR feature. I feel this is making my DSLR pretty useless in many scenarios. Should I sell my DSLR and go for a newer one? is there any easy-to-use software for HDR which can be used in post-processing? Please advice.
Take bracketed shots - 3 to 6 and use any free HDR software to get the dynamic range of the scene.
Old 20th October 2017, 08:24   #14586
Senior - BHPian

Can you suggest some good HDR software? Primarily looking for something quick ans easy to use.

Thanks
Old 20th October 2017, 09:15   #14587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
During my recent trip, I observed that the Pixel was producing better photos in terms of dynamic range because of HDR+ than the Canon DSLR in several scenarios with bright backlight et
A P&S will have better Jpeg output than any DSLR. DSLR is work. All the way from taking a picture to editing to get the feel. Dynamic range extension on both ends of the DR is a task post taking a picture.

People approach very differently for different situations in DSLR.

1) Shoot for protecting one end while fixing the other end in Computer
2) Use HDR softwares to create the DR
3) Shoot multiple photos and layer it over one another and fix the DR

600D has fairly decent DR to start with. With some planning you can shoot to get the required DR but requires effort in computer.

If the size of foto you finally use is enough for phones/facebook and basic sharing, DSLR is a waste of time as most modern P&S do a fantastic Jpeg conversion with so many filters.
Old 28th October 2017, 20:23   #14588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

Hi there, I too am a user of a 3 yr old DSLR. I use the Nikon D5300 which was launched in 2014 I think. The pictures that you are getting out of the Google Pixel is first of all a HDR shot combined automatically by the phone software. On top of that I read somewhere that high end phones actually automatically do a bit of editing to enhance the pictures taken by the smartphone. So you are basically comparing a HDR combined and auto edited shot taken by a smartphone with a simple unedited, straight out of the camera picture from a DSLR. So the final results may seem better on the smartphone.

Another aspect to consider is shooting conditions. When the light is good, like shooting in the daytime, yes the smartphone can take pictures that seem as good as a DSLR. But try shooting indoors with less than perfect light, or in shaded areas or after sunset, then the pictures from the DSLR seem much better due to the fact that the DSLR has a Sensor 8 times larger than the one we normally get in a smartphone. The smartphone pictures will appear grainy in such conditions.

If you feel that you are not getting good pictures from your DSLR then you can try upgrading your lens. I too have added a few extra lenses and the pictures from those lenses are just too good.
Old 9th November 2017, 13:28   #14589
BHPian

All –
I have a genuine problem (good one) and need your expert's advice.

I have used SLRs(Sony and Nikon) and currently own a Panasonic FZ200 (which is a brilliant bridge cam). When my last Sony SLR gave up due to mechanical failure I moved on to bridge cams as I was not able to devote as much time as I would have liked to photography. Even the cost associated with a SLR system is pretty high when one considers that the time devoted is less. Still do photography mostly during my road trips (I am an avid traveler and make 8-10 trips every year) but leisure photography has stopped completely.

Recently I was gifted a Sony A7 FF camera by someone close. In excitement the camera was ordered from Amazon Global (by mistake as it was a lower rate on that date – less 20 K or so). I was never consulted and the gift was supposed to a surprise on

Sony 7 series cameras will always remain a dream camera because of amount of things that it can do (using non-native lenses with adapters etc.). But with my previous experience on availability and support for Sony SLR systems in India I am not inclined to keep or buy a Sony FF even in future unless the ecosystem in India has matured and has enough support.

This is 4 year old camera (not age of the camera but was Launched in 2013). Even if it was Sony A7 MK 2 or A99 MK2 I would have given it a thought (In camera stabilization is extremely important for someone who has already used it. Acquiring cheaper lenses later on helps as the price is a lot lesser than equivalent on lens stabilized ones.). This is one of the main reasons I do not want to keep the camera
  • Did some quick research and figured out Sony FE lenses are extremely costly except for few basic ones which will not do any justice on a FF body.
  • Even adapters are pretty costly here in India ($350 vs 23 K). Even adapters for Canon/Nikon is not available easily here in India.
  • Since its bought from Amazon Global – warranty will not be honored in India. This is extremely important as I can handle intermediate SLRs like Sony A77ii, Nikon D7200 or Canon 80D. I have absolutely no experience of FF cameras. So if anything goes wrong I am stuck without warranty support. Not sure how manufacturers handle out of country models now. At least the support during 2006-2013 was not anything to write about. Canon and Nikon still will have lot better support due to the existing ecosystem. No idea about Sony in India currently

I have few options now
  • Return the camera and take a hit on the custom charges.
  • Keep the camera and start building a system. But do not want one without in camera stabilization. I have followed Sony closely so know about the system. Even third party support for FE mount is almost nil.
  • One route would be to go the adapter way but even that ecosystem is thin and whatever is available it is expensive. I will not be using the full functionality of the camera as the same has improved tremendously in A7 MK 2 series.
  • Current Sony FE mount lenses( the good ones are extremely expensive). A mount lenses with adapter will still be quite heavy on pocket compared to US. Even older legacy Minolta lenses will not be as easily available in India.

All the above options will be compromise in one way or the other at least here in India.
  • Can I find a buyer for this cam? Willing to take a small hit on the cost. At least in an experienced hand it will be of great use.
  • Any other option

I need to decide before end of this week and return the camera losing the custom charges or need advice on how to have a basic FF set up without incurring too much cost. Had it been a DX format I would have kept it. I have still not received the camera which I should get in a couple of days.
Even selling a FF camera is not going to be easy and the Sony brand may find still no takers.

Need guidance from all you experts.

Regards,
nibedk
Old 9th November 2017, 14:09   #14590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
. So you are basically comparing a HDR combined and auto edited shot taken by a smartphone with a simple unedited, straight out of the camera picture from a DSLR. So the final results may seem better on the smartphone.

If you feel that you are not getting good pictures from your DSLR then you can try upgrading your lens. I too have added a few extra lenses and the pictures from those lenses are just too good.
Some additional thoughts:

A DSLR JPEG is very much an edited image too. Only a RAW file could be considered unedited. And each DSLR manufacture JPEG image tends to look different form the next one. Partly because they all use slightly different settings and algorithms to get to an JPEG. Some camera's even recognize when you should portrait versus landscape orientation and will do a small adjustment etc.

If you feel you are not getting good pictures, I suggest first you try to articulate what is it you don't like or wish to improve. I don't subcribe to the theory that more kit (lenses, bodies etc) will get you better pictures.

So unless you know what it is you want to improve, buying something new might not give any result.

My two Olympics camera's have an HDR option that create an HDR JPEG in camera as well. But I prefer to shoot bracketed RAW and create the HDR in Photomatix for more control.

The problem I find with most HDR in camera produced images, they tend to look like HDR images. As soon as you show it to somebody with just a smitten of photographic knowledge they will say; Ah an HDR image.

Although occassionaly that HDR feel might look neat, I don't have much use for it. I use HDR primarily to create good DR whilst (hopefully) still retaining the feel of an ordinary (Non HDR) image.

So for instance when shooting classic cars inside buildings HDR is a great way to get all the detail out, even the bits that are in dark areas etc.

But again, there are no rules, it's very much a personal preference on whatever takes your fancy.

Jeroen
Old 10th November 2017, 14:10   #14591
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys,

I have a dslr from canon, 5d mk 3. Shutter count of 10,xxx. 2015 model. Got it for an inhouse model shoot project, and we are done. How much can i expect when selling this camera? I dont want to get ripped off, as my knowledge of cameras are pretty poor.

Never been used outside our studio at the office.
Old 10th November 2017, 14:39   #14592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
I have few options now
  • Return the camera and take a hit on the custom charges.
  • Keep the camera and start building a system. But do not want one without in camera stabilization. I have followed Sony closely so know about the system. Even third party support for FE mount is almost nil.
  • One route would be to go the adapter way but even that ecosystem is thin and whatever is available it is expensive. I will not be using the full functionality of the camera as the same has improved tremendously in A7 MK 2 series.
  • Current Sony FE mount lenses( the good ones are extremely expensive). A mount lenses with adapter will still be quite heavy on pocket compared to US. Even older legacy Minolta lenses will not be as easily available in India.

All the above options will be compromise in one way or the other at least here in India.
  • Can I find a buyer for this cam? Willing to take a small hit on the cost. At least in an experienced hand it will be of great use.
  • Any other option

I need to decide before end of this week and return the camera losing the custom charges or need advice on how to have a basic FF set up without incurring too much cost. Had it been a DX format I would have kept it. I have still not received the camera which I should get in a couple of days.
Even selling a FF camera is not going to be easy and the Sony brand may find still no takers.

Need guidance from all you experts.

Regards,
nibedk
My advice would be:
1. Keep the camera as the A7 is an excellent camera any way you look at it.
2. Buy good quality used L-series EF lenses from Canon or FF mount lenses from Nikon.
3. Get a Metabones adapter.

I know the above steps won't be cheap either. But I feel that after investing about a lakh or so, you can exploit the capabilities of the A7 very well. E.g. you can get a good condition 24-105 L lens from Canon for about 40,000 used. Similarly you can get a 70-200 F4 L IS used for about 50,000 bucks. Then there are primes like 50 mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8 in Canon which are cheap bought used and great value. Throw in the adapter and with an investment of about a lakh you are set!
Old 10th November 2017, 16:48   #14593
Senior - BHPian

Depends on what price you got the A7 for? A7's resale value is going to be very low. Expect something around 35-45K in the used market and the demand is also going to be very low.

Your best option is to return it and then decide what you want. You will incur a loss much less than used resale value the camera can fetch.

A7 is still a wonderful camera. Just rent out lenses if you cannot afford adapter and lens. Today you can rent an 85mm F1.2 canon lens for a fraction of its cost with an adapter.

Cheap and absolutely fantastic lenses include samyang 135 native FE mount, Sony 35mm F1.4, Mitakon 50mm 0.95, and it will be a process to build a system.

A7 is too old a generation and it makes no sense to keep it this point. You are better off returning and putting your money on something you are comfortable with.
Old 10th November 2017, 17:04   #14594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Take bracketed shots - 3 to 6 and use any free HDR software to get the dynamic range of the scene.
You can do a 'pseudo' HDR with a single exposure. You can increase the brightness a few stops and decrease the brightness a few stops and you already the image that came from the camera and use a software like Photomatix Pro and fuse the 3 to get the desired effect. I've attached to images, the washed out one was as from camera and other contrasty one is a pseudo HDR through Photomatix Pro. This was from Lauterbrunnen, Swiss, from the Jungfraubahn. If you're on the move it's difficult to bracket the images as there a 3 images when you click and you need a tripod to do it right and the wind factor will further affect it in the out doors. Neither did my camera (Nikon Coolpix P510) have HDR capability. That said the ease with which the Pixel or iPhone 7 plus takes pictures is amazing and using mobile Adobe you can get some stunning images.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-lauterbunnen-copy.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dscn1457-3-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 10th November 2017 at 17:12.
Old 10th November 2017, 20:22   #14595
Senior - BHPian

Thanks very much.
I will give it a go.
By the way planning to visit Switzerland next year. Will PM you for some tips. Hope you don't mind 😊

Most Viewed