Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2019, 12:23   #14881
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just saw a mention that Canon is launching a full frame camera without a mirror.
Canon had launched it's EOS R a while back. It was recently joined by the RP which serves the purpose of a budget option. They are very good cameras besides the lack of IBIS and some video features in the RP.

Last edited by revsperminute : 5th April 2019 at 12:33.
Old 5th April 2019, 12:39   #14882
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Canon Apsc camera since long and always wanted to own a Canon Full frame camera.

Was investing in an expensive Canon full frame DSLR, however was suggested by a friend that mirrored cameras is going to be history and mirrorless is the future. He also suggested Sony A7riii. However I am still inclined towards Canon.
With mixed reviews of Canon Eos R and RP, I have decided to wait for a new Canon full frame mirrorless camera. Any valuable inputs ?
Old 5th April 2019, 14:13   #14883
BANNED

Any recommendations on an online photo printing service? More than anything, my concern is privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Any valuable inputs ?
We have a thread on mirrorless cameras. Please do go through it. You will get more ideas.
Old 5th April 2019, 14:24   #14884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Any recommendations on an online photo printing service? More than anything, my concern is privacy.

We have a thread on mirrorless cameras. Please do go through it. You will get more ideas.
I have used two
. Photojanic
https://www.photojaanic.com/products
. Printbucket
https://printbucket.com/

Both are good, but their prices differ slightly, so for some sizes one is better for other sizes the other.

Have no idea of privacy, as all that I print is for distribution to friends.
Old 9th April 2019, 10:21   #14885
BHPian

Quote:
I have been using Canon Apsc camera since long and always wanted to own a Canon Full frame camera.

Was investing in an expensive Canon full frame DSLR, however was suggested by a friend that mirrored cameras is going to be history and mirrorless is the future. He also suggested Sony A7riii. However I am still inclined towards Canon.
With mixed reviews of Canon Eos R and RP, I have decided to wait for a new Canon full frame mirrorless camera. Any valuable inputs ?
A7RIII is a solid camera and with a Sigma MC-11 adapter you can use your Canon lenses if you choose to. AF works perfect with eye tracking except for the AF points in the corner of the frame. I would love to see a pro level mirrorless camera from Canon but thats not going to happen this year. If you don't need the megapixels (cropability) the A7III is much cheaper and has better AF. On the down side the screen is not as bright and crisp as the EOS R.
Old 7th May 2019, 09:29   #14886
BHPian

Hello, lately I've been facing an issue with my 5 year old Nikon D3200 (April '14 purchased) and I was hoping for some guidance here. Honestly, it's been a dream run with this camera. It has been my companion through the times I thought I was destined to become a filmmaker, and helped me make several short films throughout high school, which went on to win various awards at school-level film festivals around the city.

I have the habit of using the camera without a strap. That's the way I've always used it. However, on the fateful day of 19th April, I decided to fix the strap, as I had an event that day and it would've been helpful to have both my hands empty. I fixed the strap and slung the camera on my shoulder, and one end of the strap simply gave away! The camera fell from my shoulder to the floor. Was in a hurry then, and didn't check what happened. Upon reaching the venue and taking out my camera, I came across the following error:

The DSLR Thread-img_20190507_0906568633.jpg

Upon following the instruction and pressing the shutter button, the error goes away. However, on the subsequent click of the shutter (to take pictures), the picture doesn't get clicked (doesn't show up in the gallery) and the error reappears. This cycle goes on and on.

However, if I clear the error by pressing the shutter button, and enter into Live View, the screen blackens out and the camera stops working. None of the buttons work, even the on-off switch. The camera comes to life upon taking the battery out and re-inserting it again.

I googled around for this issue, and it seemed to be a pretty common one for Nikon cameras. Most websites even started their articles by saying "If you've owned a Nikon camera, at some point of time you must have come across this error". I followed all the various possible troubleshoots mentioned on the websites, and found everything to be working:
a. The shutter doesn't get stuck while operating
b. The contact levers on both the lens and the camera body work normally

If it helps, I was using a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 prime lens at the time of the mishap. The lens works fine (it's in warranty too), but the camera doesn't respond to any of my other lenses. So, the lens isn't the issue.

Has anyone here faced a similar issue? If not, I'd be grateful if you guys can suggest a good shop in Kolkata where I can get the camera inspected. I'm wary of going to random shops because before this, the camera has been absolutely fault-free and I don't want to mess that up.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Regards,
boniver
Old 7th May 2019, 12:16   #14887
Senior - BHPian

Some thing got loose when the camera fell. All I can say is that you inspect the camera especially the lens mount for play.

In your case you get a blank screen in "Live View", so may also your mirror spring is not working properly. Take the lens out a initially inspect the mirror. If it is down, then try to move it up. Next set the camera in "Sensor Clean" mode. The mirror should be up. If not, then the spring is the culprit (unless the body has deformed due to the fall). Move the mirror up and down a few times and then check Live View.

As far as I know there quite a few Camera Repair persons who repair all the older Film Cameras including Hasselblad and Bronica. Do a search in the markets to home on to them. You can also inquire in the older Photography Clubs, they will surely know of reputable and honest camera repair persons.

Last edited by Aroy : 7th May 2019 at 12:18.
Old 7th May 2019, 12:22   #14888
BHPian

Guys, can any one point me where I can buy a bag which can house a Nikon D800, nikkor 70-200 lens probably with space for 2 prime lenses.

Any pointers will help as I have to buy it by this weekend.
Old 7th May 2019, 12:47   #14889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Some thing got loose when the camera fell. All I can say is that you inspect the camera especially the lens mount for play.
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I rechecked everything you mentioned right now, and the lens mount does not seem to have any play.

Quote:
In your case you get a blank screen in "Live View", so may also your mirror spring is not working properly. Take the lens out a initially inspect the mirror. If it is down, then try to move it up.
The mirror lifts up when lifted by hand and "springs" back into place (comes down again) when it's left on its own.

Quote:
Next the camera in "Sensor Clean" mode. The mirror should be up. If not, then the spring is the culprit (unless the body has deformed due to the fall). Move the mirror up and down a few times and then check Live View.
Ah. The mirror isn't going up in "Sensor Clean" mode. An error shows up after a minute, and then the camera hangs until I remove and re-insert the battery. Attaching a picture of the error:

The DSLR Thread-img_20190507_122214422.jpg

Also, in Live View mode, the mirror goes up, and stays there. The mirror moves when moved physically, but it springs back to the "Up" position and stays there after that since the camera hangs in Live View.

So this is an indication that the mirror spring has gone kaput, right?

Quote:
As far as I know there quite a few Camera Repair persons who repair all the older Film Cameras including Hasselblad and Bronica. Do a search in the markets to home on to them. You can also inquire in the older Photography Clubs, they will surely know of reputable and honest camera repair persons.
Yes, to get it fixed I'll have to do that only. I just wanted to troubleshoot it myself just in case it worked. A friend's father who's a renowned photographer recommended a shop in Esplanade. Will check the place out.

Thank you so much!
Old 7th May 2019, 19:19   #14890
BHPian

Planning to sell off the camera, and some accessories to go along with it - but am unsure of what to ask for it. Can anyone help me with valuing it (number/range)? Here is the list:
  • Nikon D5100 + 18-55 + 58MM adapter ring (condition is good, flash does not close at times)
  • 35mm 1.8 (2 years old; mint)
  • Sigma 70-300 (2 years old; mint)
  • Sunpak PZ42X TTL Flash – Nikon (condition is good)
  • 2 Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver (condition is good)
  • Nikon back-pack (new)
Old 7th May 2019, 19:40   #14891
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
. Can anyone help me with valuing it (number/range)? Here is the list:
Typical prices I have seen:
d5100 + 18-55: About 20k
35mm has a fair demand, should get 8k.
Sigma 70-300: 10k. Nikon's 70-300 VR is typically 20k at least, a lil more for the newer ones (not AF-P)

You can try for at least that much.
Old 8th May 2019, 12:52   #14892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Nikon back-pack (new)
Have sent a message to your inbox...

Last edited by sumathindra : 8th May 2019 at 12:53. Reason: edits
Old 9th May 2019, 08:49   #14893
BHPian

Quote:

I have been in same boat. My wish is that next canon mirrorless will be much notch above the rest but time will tell. Post that launch, i will decide if i need to stick to canon or some other brand for mirrorless. Canon has advantage of big catalogue of excellent and value for money lenses and lenses are always more important than camera body.
Old 9th May 2019, 09:20   #14894
BANNED

What I waiting for is for a set of lenses specifically designed for mirrorless SLRs. Since the rear distance which is used by the mirror is now available I expect the lenses to be more compact and definitely have a smaller 'nose'. Maybe even one or two elements can be eliminated.
Old 9th May 2019, 12:07   #14895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
What I waiting for is for a set of lenses specifically designed for mirrorless SLRs. Since the rear distance which is used by the mirror is now available I expect the lenses to be more compact and definitely have a smaller 'nose'. Maybe even one or two elements can be eliminated.
There are few canon RF mount lenses already available. These are specifically designed for mirrorless cameras. Though there size is bigger than comparable EF lens but i guess that is something to do with high quality optics they must have put in RF lenses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks