Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2019, 21:23   #14941
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anindya_Anni View Post
May I know the problems you faced while using vanguard tripod, and which brand monopod do you use.
My Tripod is an Alto Pro 2+. It looks very nice in the pictures, and the extending arm is a really nice idea, but the pan head and extending arm are just not built to good enough tolerances to be secure. I have taken up play in the pan head by finding and adjusting the screw collar that holds it in place. I took some play out of the extending-arm assembly by shimming it. It would be nice to have actual steel shim to do this, but I used plastic from medicine strips.

My monopod is the Sirui monopod with legs, the aluminium model. It is actually beautifully engineered. No complaints.

I used to take the monopod out with me to concerts. Then I invested in faster prime lenses, autofocus and image stabilisation, and find it completely unnecessary for the kind of photography that I do.

One day, either or both of these things will come in useful, perhaps for bird or macro photography. I'm not planning to get rid of them.
Old 14th September 2019, 00:10   #14942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
For Gorilla Pod you can take a look at this. Choose the larger Pods (GP3 or bigger).
Thank you sir for providing the link.

Quote:
Monopod - Very useful for Bird Photography, especially where you'll be walking a lot since this is easy to carry with your camera+lens mounted.

Large Tripod - Useful for supporting big lenses while shooting stationary subjects or predictable subjects. Allows very long exposures as long as the subject allows.

Gorilla Pod - Almost does everything that the above Tripod will, but won't support big prime lenses or some of the larger lenses without a tripod collar. The biggest benefit is that it is small and can be carried easily.
If I were to go on a trip and could only carry one, I'd take the Gorilla Pod.
Thanks for such a detailed explanation. At present, I need a pod for clicking family pics. I do shoot birds, but in auto mode. I'm an amateur and don't know anything about the manual settings. As of now, I'll be using kit lenses only. For taking family group photos, which pod will you suggest. I'm ready to spend around 12k for a good pod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
Nikon re-sellers don't seem to be interested in stocking up/selling cheaper accessories. The hoods were not available at Gurgaon which has one of the biggest Nikon store (Kumarjee Nikon).
I had purchased an extra battery for D5600 from them. At that time, it was not available elsewhere. Regarding HB-77 lens hood, I enquired at the Nikon Noida service center. He told me that he can place the order for hood, only if I make complete payment in advance. I'll try for it, whenever next time I visit Noida.

Quote:
Ideally, you should buy a slightly bigger bag than what you need so that you don't need to upgrade when you buy another lens. What all do you want to fit into the bag? Just Camera and accessories or something more like a Laptop/some clothes etc. Depending on your need, check out the various Lowepro and Manfrotto bags (Manfrotto has bought Kata). Lowepro has so many options!
No, I want a bag only for my dslr and it's lenses. Reason for a larger bag is, I have a garden and lots of plants and trees in my house. So, at times, different kind of birds, insects, squirrels chewing coconuts, butterflies, and chameleons offer different angles to shoot them. I find Nikon 70-300 mm lens perfect for this purpose. Problem arises when I have to keep the dslr back in the bag. Everytime, I have to dismount 70-300 mm lens and then store it in the bag separately.
I had seen Lowepro bag at the shop from where I purchased my dslr, but found Nikon camera bag's quality to be superior. I'll look at Manfrotto bags though.

Quote:
I bought the Wildcraft Shutterbag Pro backpack as I was a little short on budget. It easily accommodates D5600 + 18-55 + 70-300 + 35 f1.8 + Godox TT685N and still has space for the UWA lens I plan to buy, has separate compartments for Laptop and accessories, Tripod attachment, rain cover.
This one seems to be the right one for me. May I know from where did you purchase it. It's showing out of stock on both amazon and wildcraft website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My Tripod is an Alto Pro 2+. It looks very nice in the pictures, and the extending arm is a really nice idea, but the pan head and extending arm are just not built to good enough tolerances to be secure.

My monopod is the Sirui monopod with legs, the aluminium model. It is actually beautifully engineered. No complaints.
Thank you sir for pointing out the differences.

Quote:
I used to take the monopod out with me to concerts. Then I invested in faster prime lenses, autofocus and image stabilisation, and find it completely unnecessary for the kind of photography that I do.
I totally shoot in auto mode or scene selection mode. I'm satisfied with the initial results and the only area where I feel the need for a pod, is to click family pics. There are only 3 family pics in my recent dubai trip, clicked from my dslr.
Old 14th September 2019, 02:21   #14943
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My Tripod is an Alto Pro 2+. It looks very nice in the pictures, and the extending arm is a really nice idea, but the pan head and extending arm are just not built to good enough tolerances to be secure.
I want to correct that. Extending the arm out from the central line of the tripod may indeed not be secure or safe, but that is in the hands of the user. The tripod does not lack strength: it lacks rigidity due to play between its parts. When you have your camera in position, it will stay there, but the small mechanical movements make this harder to do, and may make camera shake more likely when using hands-on shutter release.
Old 14th September 2019, 11:15   #14944
BHPian

Quote:
No, I want a bag only for my dslr and it's lenses.
I had seen Lowepro bag at the shop from where I purchased my dslr, but found Nikon camera bag's quality to be superior. I'll look at Manfrotto bags though.
Lowepro camera bags are trusted worldwide. You can check reviews by users at BnH or Adorama. Considering your use, a large shoulder/sling bag would be best, something like Lowepro Adventura 170. Or if you want a backpack, Lowepro Tahoe BP 150. Although I haven't checked, there should be similar bags by Manfrotto and Vanguard.

Quote:
This one seems to be the right one for me. May I know from where did you purchase it. It's showing out of stock on both amazon and wildcraft website.
It will be too big and you don't need the Laptop, charger compartments. Wildcraft has another product called shutterbug (without "pro") that would be better fit for your requirement (and 2k cheaper too!).

I purchased it from Amazon. This thing is always out of stock. I had put it in wishlist and voila, received a notification few days later that it's available (coincidence?)! No discount though.
Old 16th September 2019, 16:22   #14945
BANNED

I have an AmazonBasics sling bag. Holds the 5600 plus 18-55, 35, and 70-200. Plus six filters. Plus two extra batteries. Plus the charger. Plus a USB data cable. Very comfortable and well padded. Down side is, the diagonally connected small strap interferes with things in my shirt pocket. So, I wear it from my left shoulder to right. And not put on the smaller strap. That is fine, till strenuous trekking comes up. Here, i always wish for a proper backpack which I feel would have been more comfortable.

Somebody was asking about using two filters simultaneously. I just tried UV + CPL on my recently completed HP trip.
Old 25th September 2019, 18:55   #14946
BHPian

Quote:
I bought the Wildcraft Shutterbag Pro backpack as I was a little short on budget. It easily accommodates D5600 + 18-55 + 70-300 + 35 f1.8 + Godox TT685N and still has space for the UWA lens I plan to buy
In which scenarios, do you use external flash and secondly, which flash will you recommend, in case I need to purchase one. This Godox TT685N is too costly for me.

With Regards
Anindya
Old 25th September 2019, 20:15   #14947
BHPian

Hi All,

Help me resolve a dilemma. Sigma 150-600 or Tamron 150-600 lens for a Canon DSLR?
Old 25th September 2019, 22:14   #14948
BHPian

Quote:
In which scenarios, do you use external flash and secondly, which flash will you recommend, in case I need to purchase one. This Godox TT685N is too costly for me.
I use it mostly for indoor portraits, group photos (bouncing off wall) and outdoor fill flash. Unfortunately, D5600 doesn't support high speed sync which would have been great for these applications.

Godox is a lot cheaper than OEM speed lights. Nikon SB-5000 is around 35k. Even Yongnuo YN685n is slightly costlier at 8k+. I got TT685n for 7.4k plus 10% discount on card. It's retailing at 7k today on Amazon!!

Godox has a cheaper (less powerful but otherwise similar) TT350n which you can consider. You will also have to keep money aside for rechargeable AA batteries and charger. Do opt for a TTL one if you ultimately decide to buy a flash.

But if you haven't felt the need for a flash then you probably shouldn't buy one. GAS is not good

PS- I never use the in-built pop-up flash. It just creates harsh highlights and shadows.

Last edited by DaptChatterjee : 25th September 2019 at 22:20. Reason: Added note
Old 26th September 2019, 00:54   #14949
BHPian

Quote:
Godox is a lot cheaper than OEM speed lights. I got TT685n for 7.4k plus 10% discount on card. It's retailing at 7k today on Amazon!!
Godox TT685N is selling above 9k on amazon. There is another model by the name Godox TT685 which is selling for 7k. Which one did you purchase.

Quote:
Godox has a cheaper (less powerful but otherwise similar) TT350n which you can consider.
This one is only ₹1.2k cheaper than TT685. I read in reviews of the latter one that some folks were able to purchase it at ₹5.6k during sale alongwith card discounts. I'll look for it during upcoming sale.

Quote:
You will also have to keep money aside for rechargeable AA batteries and charger.
That's not an issue. My previous camera was Nikon L110, a semi-dslr. I got a Nikon charger with it, which can charge AAA & AA batteries.

Quote:
But if you haven't felt the need for a flash then you probably shouldn't buy one. GAS is not good

PS- I never use the in-built pop-up flash. It just creates harsh highlights and shadows.
My experience has not been good with pop-up flash while using both my cameras. I do faced problems like shadows, red eyes, subject faces getting too bright, but didn't know how to resolve them. Now, when you mentioned about the usefulness of external flash, I'm planning to buy one.

With Regards
Anni
Old 26th September 2019, 08:17   #14950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishkamm View Post
Hi All,

Help me resolve a dilemma. Sigma 150-600 or Tamron 150-600 lens for a Canon DSLR?
Sigma is slightly sharper, I tried on Nikon body. If you are in Bangalore try tappers to rent both and try on your Canon body before buying.
Old 26th September 2019, 09:09   #14951
BHPian

Quote:
Godox TT685N is selling above 9k on amazon. There is another model by the name Godox TT685 which is selling for 7k. Which one did you purchase.
Yes, the 7K thing. Select the "for Nikon" option which will be exactly same as TT685N.

Quote:
My experience has not been good with pop-up flash while using both my cameras. I do faced problems like shadows, red eyes, subject faces getting too bright, but didn't know how to resolve them. Now, when you mentioned about the usefulness of external flash, I'm planning to buy one.
There are some wonderful tutorials on web about Flash photography techniques. Still, on camera flash will have its limitations!
Old 26th September 2019, 09:32   #14952
BHPian

I was looking for a Gotox TT685 for my Nikon. However, the feedback on Amazon about dead on arrival / not working after a short period of time coupled with no service centers in India, stopped me from buying one.

Haven't frozen on any other, yet.
Old 26th September 2019, 09:33   #14953
BHPian

Quote:

With Regards
Anni
Hello Anni, you can try a diffuser for the pop-up flash. I use one of those small, white opaque thin bags (typically made of a foamy material). It helps dissipate the light and reduces a lot of your problems.
Old 26th September 2019, 09:50   #14954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I was looking for a Gotox TT685 for my Nikon. However, the feedback on Amazon about dead on arrival / not working after a short period of time coupled with no service centers in India, stopped me from buying one.
I'm also skeptical regarding the same issue, and wondering whether to purchase it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
Hello Anni, you can try a diffuser for the pop-up flash. I use one of those small, white opaque thin bags (typically made of a foamy material). It helps dissipate the light and reduces a lot of your problems.
Thanks for suggesting an option. Can you please tell from where did you purchase your diffuser. I searched on amazon, but it's showing diffusers for external flashes only. Secondly, is there a way to fix diffuser on top of the tiny camera flash.

With Regards
Anni
Old 26th September 2019, 13:51   #14955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsays View Post
Sigma is slightly sharper, I tried on Nikon body. If you are in Bangalore try tappers to rent both and try on your Canon body before buying.
Hi lrsays, thank you. I will check with the renting option and trying out the lenses.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th September 2019 at 12:24. Reason: editing quote tag

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks