Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2012, 11:33   #61
BHPian

Re: Windows 8 anyone ?

What is the min ram required for Windows 8 to run comfortably without any lag ?
My parents wanted a laptop, to be used only for email / chat / skype etc..

Got a basic model Samsung which came pre-installed with Windows 8, however I found it quite slow at times.
Went for this one because it was the cheapest deal, came with 2gb ram.

-Fillmore
Old 30th October 2012, 11:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Are you going in through this URL? https://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-IN
I figured out the problem. I was running the upgrade assistant on Windows 8. Running it on Windows 7 solved the problem.
Old 31st October 2012, 19:33   #63
BHPian

I'm planning to download it today. Guess I'll buy for 699( by faking the date). I'm thinking of possible problems( now or in future) that could arise by doing so. Could someone please guide me.

Also can I pause and resume the ISO download?
Old 31st October 2012, 20:03   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
I'm planning to download it today. Guess I'll buy for 699( by faking the date). I'm thinking of possible problems( now or in future) that could arise by doing so. Could someone please guide me.
Technically if you fake the date of purchase, then it is illegal as you are required to pay an amount of Rs 1,999. MS could deem that license to be void and make appropriate changes to their license activation server. BUT MS already knows about this loophole and have not done anything to plug it YET. :-)

That's why you hear Steve Ballmer crowing loudly about selling 4 million copies of Win8 in 4 days flat. They desperately want Win8 and it's new interface to be adopted quickly by customers and enterprises alike and create a new ecosystem

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/30/ste...been-stunning/

Frankly this offer of Rs 2K (<US$ 40 at today's exchange rate) was a big surprise to me when I read it on 26/10. I believe we are entering a new era - where desktop OSes will be sold at highly discounted rates and the money made on applications and hardware (tabs). This is similar to printer manufacturers selling new printers cheap and making money on inks, toners and other supplies.

Quote:
Yes, you can. The installer stub can pause/resume the download. It will be saved to a hidden folder 'ESD' on your C: drive. Make sure you make a copy of that folder on another hard drive as a backup.

Last edited by R2D2 : 31st October 2012 at 20:05.
Old 31st October 2012, 20:05   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This would not be possible as you will also need tobe uploading the bill details and the COA (Code of Authenticity) number of your PC (canbe found on the sticker stuck either at the back or bottom of PC). The COA will reveal your PC original sales date. Microsoft is'nt so stupid. And this upgrade is only applicable on the PC's which have Win7 preinstalled from the OEM, This is not applicable on the separately purchased copy of Win7, I hope this clears every doubt.

Last edited by mercedised : 31st October 2012 at 20:07.
Old 7th November 2012, 18:28   #66
BHPian

Anyone upgraded from Vista to Windows 8 already? Any issues or comments? I have 5 yr old HP Vista home basic laptop having 2GB RAM. Is it worth to upgrade to Windows 8?
Old 7th November 2012, 19:06   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8 couple of days back. The whole process was very smooth. The upgrade assistant indicated the Win 8 download to be 2GB, but the whole download finished in around 30 min. I do have an 8Mbps Broadband connection theoretically, but seems impossible for a 2GB download to be done in 30 min.

I upgraded because my system had become very slow due to lot of bloatware, so it seemed to be a good idea to make it fast and also see how Win 8 works.
Old 7th November 2012, 19:08   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8 couple of days back. The whole process was very smooth. The upgrade assistant indicated the Win 8 download to be 2GB, but the whole download finished in around 30 min. I do have an 8Mbps Broadband connection theoretically, but seems impossible for a 2GB download to be done in 30 min.

I upgraded because my system had become very slow due to lot of bloatware, so it seemed to be a good idea to make it fast and also see how Win 8 works.
So how is the performance after the upgrade. I did a fresh install. Now I have Win7 & Win8 dual booting off separate hard disks and a third hard disk for all my data.
Old 7th November 2012, 19:20   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
So how is the performance after the upgrade. I did a fresh install. Now I have Win7 & Win8 dual booting off separate hard disks and a third hard disk for all my data.
My system with Win 7 was close to unusable. So comparatively Initial impressions is very positive. The start up is fast and the performance of the apps also seems good.

But as most reviews have pointed out, it is a drastic change in the way of usage. As an 'advanced' smartphone and computer user, I was able to adjust to it pretty easily. But I would think twice before recommending an upgrade to my father. Although once you get past the learning curve, having a 'App' Centric user interface would really help the basic users.
Old 7th November 2012, 20:03   #70
Senior - BHPian

Very happy with the upgrade. Win 8 is extremely snappy to say the least.

The typical boot time is less than 10 seconds. I have never seen my system hang after the install.

The picture login thingy is quite interesting to play around and the decent collection of Apps does the job in keeping you glued to the 8.

And all this for just 699 makes it a complete deal.

Would rate 4.5/5 for the overall experience from start to finish.
Old 7th November 2012, 20:54   #71
BHPian

I have 2 laptops at home. Only one has genuine windows 7 that my parents use. Would it be possible if i buy the upgrade for my parent's laptop and install it on my laptop.Would it work?
I don't need windows 8 for my parents.
Old 7th November 2012, 21:00   #72
Senior - BHPian

^^ Guess No. It requires a genuine OS to upgrade. Check out the win 8 upgrade faq for detailed info.

And to be eligible for upgrade you should have bought the system between june 12 to date (till jan 13)

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 7th November 2012 at 21:02.
Old 8th November 2012, 20:37   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I figured out the problem. I was running the upgrade assistant on Windows 8. Running it on Windows 7 solved the problem.
Did you upgrade or did you burn the dvd and installed afresh ?
Old 8th November 2012, 21:03   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Very happy with the upgrade. Win 8 is extremely snappy to say the least.

The typical boot time is less than 10 seconds. I have never seen my system hang after the install.

The picture login thingy is quite interesting to play around and the decent collection of Apps does the job in keeping you glued to the 8.

And all this for just 699 makes it a complete deal.

Would rate 4.5/5 for the overall experience from start to finish.
Are all commonly used programs compatible with Win 8? Have you faced compatibility issues yet w.r.t. programs/server/3rd party applications etc?
Old 8th November 2012, 21:51   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Are all commonly used programs compatible with Win 8? Have you faced compatibility issues yet w.r.t. programs/server/3rd party applications etc?
Nothing as yet!

The compatibility report indicated that two of my 3rd party - not so frequently used win 7 programs wouldn't run on win 8. But that's hardly an issue. I don't even remember what it is now. Guess it was some Dell service app.

I primarily use the system for basic office functions like Spread sheets, pdf, email etc.

Windows Office 7 works without any flaw, Acrobat has a dedicated reader app for the 8.

Even my wireless printer was automatically detected and drivers got installed instantly.

If you are still apprehensive, you can run the compatibility utility that is a part of the upgrade program.

The battery life has improved manifold too.

And here's a screen shot of the team bhp and my mail account side by side. Multitasking has become a breeze now!

Windows 8 anyone ?-bhp.png

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 8th November 2012 at 21:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks