Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2012, 10:29   #91
BHPian

Re: Windows 8 anyone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Most keyboards these days have a standby button which you can configure in your OS to either put the system into standby...
Another method.
1. Go to the Desktop screen
2. Right click > New > Shortcut
3. Target for the shortcut : C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00
(Or whichever path you used)
4. Assign some icon to the shortcut
5. After the shortcut is created
Right click > Pin to Start
Right click > Pin to Taskbar
Old 15th November 2012, 10:34   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The Vanity Fair article is quite old. At that time, Microsoft, right from Steve Ballmer to the last PR person came out strongly against it. That was quite unusual for a company, but typical of Ballmer.
Most likely for Sinofsky's exit is his tiff with Ballmer.
This article is dated Aug 2012, pretty new as corporate cultures don't change quickly and certainly not in 3 months.

I am not surprised Ballmer & Co reacted to the article...who wouldn't when a press article shows the organisation in a pretty bad light.

MS seems to have lost its way - I hope not. I have a very long association with MS technologies and OSes (deliveries/programming/technologies) going back nearly 2 decades. At that time MS was a star.

The jury is still out there on Win8 while Office 2013, another money spinner for MS, is yet to be released. I've seen/used the previews and don't see anything exciting there. Oh yes, MS is supposedly encouraging people to shift to subscription models for MSO instead of perpetual licensing.

Sinofsky's exit is supposedly from his run ins with Ballmer and his inability to work with other groups - this is as per press and 'net reports of course.

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th November 2012 at 10:40.
Old 18th November 2012, 19:58   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

After using Win8 & it's new 'Metro' interface for about 3 weeks I decided that I needed the start menu back.

After evaluating a few freeware options, I went ahead and purchased Start8 by Stardock which, IMO, is the best 3rd party implementation of the Start Menu for Win8. It costs just $5 for a license.

Unfortunately I do not see touch plus a mouse+kb OS working smoothly, they are two very different devices with different methods of inputs and interactions. Sinofsky's idea simply wasn't for me.

Reading reports of how MS may actually bring back the Start Menu to Win8.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...ows-8/1702511/

Till then I shall carry on with Start8. Now my PC is back to being 'comfortable' to use. For Rs. 1999, it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Last edited by R2D2 : 18th November 2012 at 19:59.
Old 18th November 2012, 21:32   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
After using Win8 & it's new 'Metro' interface for about 3 weeks I decided that I needed the start menu back.
One way to get start menu is to create a shortcut on Taskbar (right click on taskbar, Toolbars & New Toolbar) to start menu folder. The start menu folder is usually 'C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Star t Menu'. Also a shortcut to 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu' will give the rest of the items in the start menu.
Old 18th November 2012, 22:06   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One way to get start menu is to create a shortcut on Taskbar (right click on taskbar, Toolbars & New Toolbar) to start menu folder. The start menu folder is usually 'C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Star t Menu'. Also a shortcut to 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu' will give the rest of the items in the start menu.
Yups, I had tried the built in start menu using the path given above..wasn't too happy and went in for Start8 after trying other solutions. For $5 it's an answer to my main gripe so far with Win8. I am comfy now, like putting your feet into a pair of old sneakers.
Old 19th November 2012, 08:07   #96
BHPian

Until you get the Start8, I guess "Window Key + Q" is the closest to the start menu.
Old 4th April 2013, 14:27   #97
Senior - BHPian

Windows 8.1 is likely to come in Aug 2013. I bet they are going to add back the 'Start' button.
Old 4th April 2013, 14:33   #98
BHPian

I never liked to switch between Tiles & Desktop one bit. I installed classic shell [http://www.classicshell.net/], which has helped me to regain start button. It doesn't stop there, it also allows me to keep Windows XP/7 interface skins. No bugs and it's works like charm.
Old 4th April 2013, 14:39   #99
Senior - BHPian

Not very likely for start button to come back as per recent leaked builds and news reports at tech sites.

On a personal note, I did not like the lack of start button initially but I have got used to it and actually now like the win 8 improvements for me. For my workflow, the start button was not required much. For restart and shutdown, I have placed an icon on the desktop with the switch commands and that is cool enough. What I do not like much is the sluggish and useless charms interface at the right hand site. Too slow and pretty useless for me.

As to Office 2013, I have a technet licence and so have been using it since Nov 12. Seriously, I do not like it much for its user interface and the bigger toolbar. I prefer Office 2010 though office 2013 has some usable improvements for me such as importing from pdf. So I have two builds (win 8+office 2010 and win8+office 2013) backed up through free acronis. I switch between them every 3-4 days.

Windows Blue is the next version due out sometime in early July-Aug and hope that it will be free for win 8 (it is rumoured to be a SP type update for win 8). Even if it is not a free update, I hope it comes out before Aug 2013. My technet subscription expires in end-Aug 2013 and I hope I can grab the keys for win blue before the subscription expiry.
Old 4th April 2013, 16:53   #100
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Windows 8 since it's 1st beta version and have never found the need for the start button. To access any app (modern UI based or legacy desktop based), just start typing the app name on the 'Modern' UI home page and it starts shortlisting the apps. Simple and effective.

Moreover, I have organized the home page in such a way that the most used applications are all on the first screen.
Old 28th June 2013, 18:17   #101
Senior - BHPian

The famed start button of Windows in 8.1 . BTW, it doesn't do much

Windows 8 anyone ?-win81.png
Old 28th June 2013, 18:49   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The famed start button of Windows in 8.1 . BTW, it doesn't do much
It isn't supposed to. It's only for people who miss it so much.
Old 28th June 2013, 19:18   #103
Senior - BHPian

This is 8.1 preview. I will wait for final 8.1 release to be launched later this year.
Old 20th July 2013, 14:31   #104
BHPian

Just yesterday i installed Windows 8 on my dual core 2 ghz processor with 2 GB RAM desktop PC. upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 8. My personal opinion: Its much better than Windows 7. I am using Windows 7 on my office laptop. Though its too early for me to conclude. some of the Pros and Cons I can see over Windows 7:

Pros:
1. faster User experience overall even on an older processor like Dual core
2. Super fast boot time. This is the most impressive thing about Windows 8
3. Loving the Metro UI
4. Not a single crash so far
5. Much improved MS office (2013) compared to MS office (2010) on Windows 7. I felt MS office (2010) and other newer versions compatible with Windows 7 sucks big time even when compared to MS office (2003) on Windows XP.

Cons:
1. Due to complete makeover of Windows, it is very confusing. for instance start menu on bottom left missing. Even a simple functionality like shutting down PC i was struggling to find the option
2. Many apps are not yet compatible. Mainly, Antivirus like McAfee (older versions). Though people say that windows defender will do the job for you. I really would not rely on it.
Old 22nd July 2013, 10:46   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
This is 8.1 preview. I will wait for final 8.1 release to be launched later this year.
8.1 will be launched not later this year but earlier. As per latest news, it should go RTM in the first fortnight of August 2013 (could be 16 Aug). This means the ISO and upgrade should be available then. Widespread general availability could follow in 1-2 months.

As to me, I have been using win 8 since nov 2012 and find it to better than win 7 in terms of newer hardware support and stability. And yes I can live without the start button. 8.1 preview has brought it back though I find it useful only for shutdown, start, etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks