Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2006, 08:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which DVD Player to buy in India?

which new dvd player(unit only) should I be buying?

I am strongly leaning towards onida, bpl, videocon or salora as they are Indian brands but I heard that even those use imported components. I have heard that there is a dvd player from Onida for 2k and is pretty good.

My mom has a soft corner for sony and wants every appliance and electronic consumable to be a sony.

My dad is of the opinion that it should be the best ever product but with the most basic functions.

there are mutiple brands available in the market at various price range from philips, sony, panasonic, akai, aiwa, onida, bpl samsung, lg etc.

which model from which company would u recommend?

please keep in mind that its should be the best quality with the most basic functions. Price is not an issue but its should be logical and reasonable.
Old 13th April 2006, 08:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
My dad is of the opinion that it should be the best ever product but with the most basic functions.
I agree with your dad. Check out DENON.
Old 13th April 2006, 09:25   #3
BHPian

Devarshi,

It actually depends on what you are connecting it to. If you are going to connect it to a TV (however big), then players below 5k would do. If you are going to connect it to a projector/LCD/plasma, then you would need a player of different class (having HDMI/DVI outputs) which would start from a min of 10k all the way to a lakh.

Check out it has digital audio out (coaxial and optical), component out, progressive scan, 5.1 analogue out.

The advantage of digital out is that it can be later connected to an off-board DAC for excellent stereo reproduction, as DVD players are known to be poor in 2-channel stereo.

Mine is Samsung P650K, which plays WMA, DivX, SACD, DVD-A too, apart from the normal mp3, etc. I paid 4.5K

M
Old 13th April 2006, 09:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
Devarshi,

It actually depends on what you are connecting it to. If you are going to connect it to a TV (however big), then players below 5k would do. If you are going to connect it to a projector/LCD/plasma, then you would need a player of different class (having HDMI/DVI outputs) which would start from a min of 10k all the way to a lakh.

Check out it has digital audio out (coaxial and optical), component out, progressive scan, 5.1 analogue out.

The advantage of digital out is that it can be later connected to an off-board DAC for excellent stereo reproduction, as DVD players are known to be poor in 2-channel stereo.

Mine is Samsung P650K, which plays WMA, DivX, SACD, DVD-A too, apart from the normal mp3, etc. I paid 4.5K

M
My television is a sony Trinitron 29" (axually its 27.5 if I remember the measurement correctly. LOL)

the audio is going to be heard through sony v919AV dolby pro-logic 5.1 mini hi-fi (only has vcd)

No big investments on tv's in the near future but I may opt for a dvd mini-hi-fi next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
I agree with your dad. Check out DENON.
did u say Denon? Are they axually available in India? OMG. I am sure they would be priced explicitly. please throw more light on this.
Old 13th April 2006, 09:39   #5
BANNED

Check out the Philips range - they play almost any media, come with all the features, have good support and don't cost the earth.
Old 13th April 2006, 09:56   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

yep i got philips plays everything divx,xvid wma mp3 and has a easy all region hack. 5k
Old 13th April 2006, 10:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
did u say Denon? Are they axually available in India? OMG. I am sure they would be priced explicitly. please throw more light on this.
DENON range is available through PRO FX in India. I'm not too sure about their DVD players rate but I can find that out on Sunday. As you may know Bangalore is completely shut today and tomorrow...Thanks to late Rajkumar's fans.
Old 13th April 2006, 10:26   #8
BANNED

Dev.. why not look into getting the Philips with the MP4 playing capabality?. Its not THAT expensive.. retails in Bombay for about 4500 bucks.
OT... Rudra, I really cant see the point of the fans asking for a BANDH coz some actor of yestiyear died of natural causes. COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY SENSELESS TO ME!
Old 13th April 2006, 11:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
DENON range is available through PRO FX in India. I'm not too sure about their DVD players rate but I can find that out on Sunday. As you may know Bangalore is completely shut today and tomorrow...Thanks to late Rajkumar's fans.
Denon makes some nice machines. Some as cheap at rs. 30K and some a bit more almost rs. 250K (2.5L).

Another decent brand is Marantz. Marantz often does a very good job of audio too.

Jamo (prononced Yamo) makes some very svelte looking machines.

Philips are good VFM too esp the ones with the Fjaouda processor.

there are also some models that have a Hard Disk in them so you can use them to record DVDs and TV programs. I have seen one with a 160GB and one with a 250GB hard disk. I would like one with a hot swappable hard disk. that would be cool!

If you are on a budget i have seen some lesser known brands sell as low as Rs. 3K.

Since you are looking at use your 29" CRT TV I'd consider either one of these sub 5K players or a HTiB.
Old 13th April 2006, 12:10   #10
BHPian

Devarshi,

Go for a sub 5k model. Who knows by the time you upgrade your Trinitron blu-ray might be the standard? It doesn't matter whether it is Philips or Samsung. Look out for features, warranty and service issues.

M
Old 13th April 2006, 12:33   #11
BHPian

Go for Onida
It plays even slightly scratched disks without those horrible songs
Its true :-)

Not songs .... sounds sorry!!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th April 2006 at 12:43.
Old 13th April 2006, 13:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No big investments on tv's in the near future but I may opt for a dvd mini-hi-fi next year.
if ur getting a dvd mini hi fi why do you want a dvd player?
Old 13th April 2006, 13:30   #13
BHPian

Denon will easily be atleat 10k to my knowledge. I would recommend a Pioneer or a Sony or a Panasonic. All of them should be available for < 5k. We use a Pioneer and its good.
Old 13th April 2006, 17:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
if ur getting a dvd mini hi fi why do you want a dvd player?

Coz dat wont be atleast until next year end or later and dvds have become standard in India. So I suggested my family to get a basic dvd player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
Devarshi,

Go for a sub 5k model. Who knows by the time you upgrade your Trinitron blu-ray might be the standard? It doesn't matter whether it is Philips or Samsung. Look out for features, warranty and service issues.

M

Uh! How could this thing have slipped my mind. either blu-ray or hd-dvd. these are going to be the new standard. Ok

Everything boils down to this.

Onida
philips
Sony.

Denon would be out of budget considering the priorities. which to go for at the cheaper but the best quality. Is Onida worth it at 2k as many said it even plays the scratched dvd's?
Old 13th April 2006, 17:04   #15
Team-BHP Support

The 2K Onida does not play DivX. Philips is the best out of the trio. Make sure you get the one with the slot loading and not tray loading though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks