Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2012, 22:37   #16
BHPian

Re: Micromax A100 Cellphone Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
This phone here has challenged the likes of

Thanks
I have fallen victim to one of the weirdest rumors floating around. Are the A90 & A100 mono audio output phones? Could you/anyone else plz check it as I couldn't find a demo piece and I want to suggest this phone to a friend who intends to buy a G Note.
Old 26th September 2012, 22:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
I have fallen victim to one of the weirdest rumors floating around. Are the A90 & A100 mono audio output phones? Could you/anyone else plz check it as I couldn't find a demo piece and I want to suggest this phone to a friend who intends to buy a G Note.
Pray, what is a mono audio output phone? Do give an example!

And the answer is no. (For A100) The speaker volume is quite low, but definitely stereo output. I hardly use it - 99% I am on the earphones. From reviews I get the idea that the A90 doesn't suffer this problem.
Old 26th September 2012, 22:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Mysteriously, the A90 and A100 are out of stock in every on-line store. Its out of stock on Micromax website too. This info is same for over a week now.

Guess, they have stopped production as they plan to come up with dual cores for both these models.

Anyone got any idea when the dual core versions would be available?
Old 26th September 2012, 23:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for starting the thread Karan
Am yet to see the video but agree with the discussion here.
I was myself looking for the A100 but it was out of stock on Flipkart and not available with the local retailers, so I went ahead and bought the A87 as a filler.
Except for the mediocre loudspeaker and low voice from the ear piece, I find the phone pretty good for my use.
I woukd have only wanted a better camera and a little more RAM for this price.
Old 26th September 2012, 23:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Pray, what is a mono audio output phone? Do give an example!
Nokia 3310 was a mono 2.5mm jack phone.

Mono output means that the 3.5mm jack is mono and not stereo. The audio stream is the same on L & R channel. I could find no mention in specifications, and also, no audio quality test on the web (oscilloscope).

Though I find this hard to believe in a 2012 Micromax phone, I've suffered from Micromax's lopsided specs more than once (Multimedia phones with Bluetooth 1.1(?) without even A2DP).

Thanks for clearing my doubt.

Last edited by JustCause : 26th September 2012 at 23:14.
Old 26th September 2012, 23:27   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Mysteriously, the A90 and A100 are out of stock in every on-line store. Its out of stock on Micromax website too. This info is same for over a week now.

Guess, they have stopped production as they plan to come up with dual cores for both these models.

Anyone got any idea when the dual core versions would be available?
There are a lot of rumors floating around; most of the review experts have voiced that there might not be a dual version of this phone. Guess we'll have to wait and watch.

Btw the A100 is available; on ebay - at a heavy 20-40% premium of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Thanks for starting the thread Karan
Am yet to see the video but agree with the discussion here.
I was myself looking for the A100 but it was out of stock on Flipkart and not available with the local retailers, so I went ahead and bought the A87 as a filler.
Except for the mediocre loudspeaker and low voice from the ear piece, I find the phone pretty good for my use.
I woukd have only wanted a better camera and a little more RAM for this price.
Lucky me I guess. Got the phone within days of it getting launched. Another friend who wanted to get the same, had to finally be satisfied with an A56/87 (not sure which one he opted for) as this wasn't available anywhere!

Quote:
Nokia 3310 was a mono 2.5mm jack phone.
lol. I was wondering if some of the recent phones had some specific feature that needed mono output

Quote:
Though I find this hard to believe in a 2012 Micromax phone, I've suffered from Micromax's lopsided specs more than once (Multimedia phones with Bluetooth 1.1(?) without even A2DP).

Thanks for clearing my doubt.
Post your query, I googled it a bit, and found the mono output posts on review comments on A90/A100 reviews. Well, to be honest, not all ear-phones work well with the jack of this phone. I have a samsung S2 spare (head set) earphones that worked perfectly well with my BB. However the same doesn't work with this phone. Dunno what is the problem, as the problem was replicated on another friend's (not a micromax) phone. However my BOSE headset, and other earphones work perfectly fine. The head-set that came with the phone sucks! Haven't used it since the first day.

Anyway the problem for your friend would be to find a piece for sale, than the product itself.
Old 26th September 2012, 23:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are a lot of rumors floating around; most of the review experts have voiced that there might not be a dual version of this phone. Guess we'll have to wait and watch.

Btw the A100 is available; on ebay - at a heavy 20-40% premium of course

Selling at premium. What rubbish. Micromax is supposed to be catering to low budget users. Premium defeats the whole purpose. Mad mad world!!!

No dual core version coming? My heart is broken now :(

Why exactly the existing models not available? Especially as they are very competitive and lot of people looking for it.
Old 27th September 2012, 21:26   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
By mono what are you asking specifically ?

If ;

1) Speakers - Stereo Speakers
2) Earphones / Headphones - Stereo output with equalizer in Android interface ( Also will depend on what kind of head phone i.e. mono or stereo )

Last edited by karan561 : 27th September 2012 at 21:28.
Old 27th September 2012, 23:21   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
By mono what are you asking specifically ?

If ;

1) Speakers - Stereo Speakers
2) Earphones / Headphones - Stereo output with equalizer in Android interface ( Also will depend on what kind of head phone i.e. mono or stereo )
Though it has been clarified earlier by ninjatalli, and sorry for my ambiguous post.

I wanted to know if the audio output from 3.5mm jack was stereo.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 28th September 2012, 01:14   #25
BHPian

was thinking of this phone, but I would stay away from this as I use my phone heavily and roughly.

Instead I would say one should go for "Sony Xperia Tipo Dual" if 10K is to be wisely spent
Old 2nd October 2012, 16:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

I gave up on the availiability of this phone and bought myself a KArbonn A18. I am loving the phone.
Old 2nd October 2012, 18:20   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I gave up on the availiability of this phone and bought myself a KArbonn A18. I am loving the phone.
Nice! Do share the salient +/-ves of the phone. Would like to see how the A18 fares against the A100. Feature-wise they are quite similar, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd October 2012 at 18:26.
Old 2nd October 2012, 18:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice! Do share the salient +/-ves of the phone. Would like to see how the A18 fares against the A100. Feature-wise they are quite similar, if I remember correctly.
Ordered it from Flipkart. Very prompt service and got it next day itself. Cost 9790/-

My review of the Karbonn A18:
(1 Least - 10 Highest)

- Touch sensitivity : 8/10
- Screen width: 8/10
- Ease of use : 9/10
- Speed : 7/10
- Battery life : 7/10 (too early to comment)
- Weight : 6/10
- Graphics : My perception is 7/10 (Fruit Ninja, Temple run and Angry Birds played very good)
- Video : 5/10 (Played some divX, no sound came. Played some blue ray rip, it couldnt). I dont know if I am doing this right though.
- Loud Speaker phone loudness : 6/10
- Normal ear phone loudness : 5/10
- Time to charge the phone: 2/10. It takes ages to charge.
- Value for money: 9/10
- Friends opinion in terms of brand name : 5/10 (Some are astonished, some are sceptical)
- Friends opinion in terms of using it and look and feel : 8/10

I am extremely happy with it.

I just need to find a screen guard and a case/cover for it now. Also, ordered a class 10, 16Gig SD card (http://www.flipkart.com/strontium-me...er=from-search)

Will be happy to answer any other questions about it.
Old 2nd October 2012, 19:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
- Time to charge the phone: 2/10. It takes ages to charge.
Please note the current supplied by the charger. Usually, due to cost cutting it would be 600-800mA, which is insufficient for large batteries. I use my Nokia micro USB charger (AC-10N) for all my phones/tablet (it is rated at 1200mA) & it happily charges any of them within 1.3 hours
Old 2nd October 2012, 19:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Aaah?? Never knew of this!

Firstly, used their USB cable only with my computer to charge all the time. Never even checked the DC charger. I just now closely examined and see its a 550mA.

So its a poor one! Is it okay to buy a higher mA charger and use? Would it cause any damage to the battery?

Most Viewed