Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 16:31   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Micromax A100 Cellphone Review

This phone here has challenged the likes of Samsung & I-phone's

At a staggeringly low price tag of Rs 10k

Well i thought this phone deserved a thread so here goes to start with ;

The VIDEO REVIEW of the MICROMAX A100

Video is done by my younger brother (MR TECH AGENT)

Thanks

Last edited by karan561 : 4th September 2012 at 16:36.
Old 4th September 2012, 17:41   #2
BHPian

re: Micromax A100 Cellphone Review

I am in search of this phone. For 10K it is worth. can anyone point the turndowns of this phone. I see the single core processor as one lag and the available ram (50% of512MB) as other.

Thanks for sharing the video.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva
I am in search of this phone. For 10K it is worth. can anyone point the turndowns of this phone. I see the single core processor as one lag and the available ram (50% of512MB) as other.

Thanks for sharing the video.
Mr brother ordered the phone from 'Flipkart.com' Do check out there.
Also check out at Magnet store
Total you will get 200 MB free Ram
You can Multitask upto 3-4 applications smoothly.
Old 4th September 2012, 20:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva View Post
turndowns of this phone. I see the single core processor as one lag and the available ram (50% of512MB) as other.
1. Pathetic service of MicroMax (In Mumbai, it is common for service centers to take 15 - 20 days for spares)
2. As you can see in the video, opening even a simple game like angry birds takes time. Phone struggles with web pages. Slowness is due to low RAM + slow CPU.
3. Limited onboard storage, so only a few Apps can be installed. Unless:

It gets dev support for rooting + custom roms so that external storage can be used for apps.
Old 5th September 2012, 07:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@karan,
Thanks for the thread. Still to go through your video review. But just fyi - my intial review when I got the phone two weeks back; posting out here for viewer's benefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
You hit the nail head on. Reception is excellent, comparable/better to my BB and other phones. Voice quality - not great. That is the only sore problem I still feel this phone lacks. I'll be using a Btooth if I am not able to handle this -ve aspect, as of now I'm able to live with the current voice quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicselva View Post
I am in search of this phone. For 10K it is worth. can anyone point the turndowns of this phone.
1. The voice clarity is one. Don't see processor lag as a major problem so far w.r.t to the applications I use.
2. No accessories yet available. Not exactly a problem, but I wonder when will the company come out with such options.
3. A few apps hang once in a while. Checked with a friend with a Samsung Note, he says it happens on his phone too. Not sure if this is ICS issue or phone based issue. However, closing the app and clicking it again resolves the issue.
4. The internal processes use up half the ram - so having no apps running, the phone still shows only 250+mb free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
You can Multitask upto 3-4 applications smoothly.
Nothing of that sort. Have been able to do a lot more smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
1. Pathetic service of MicroMax (In Mumbai, it is common for service centers to take 15 - 20 days for spares)
2. As you can see in the video, opening even a simple game like angry birds takes time. Phone struggles with web pages. Slowness is due to low RAM + slow CPU.
3. Limited onboard storage, so only a few Apps can be installed. Unless:

It gets dev support for rooting + custom roms so that external storage can be used for apps.
1. Still to experience. But going by the general feedback on the internet, it seems true.
2. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.
- ABirds works/loads effortlessly. Also compared it with a Note in parallel. Not much of a difference in loading time. So is the case with other games.
- Web pages - no issue, as long as you have a good web connection (wifi/3g), the page loads! Use Opera or Dolphin, the experience gets even better! I don't use the stock browser at all.
- Apps can be installed on the internal/external storage without issues. Even after installing it on the internal storage, I can see the option to move it to SD card available in the settings.
3. Clarified above.

W.r.t point no 2 & 3, where did you get the info? Please don't quote based on online "feedbacks". If it's your own experience, would like to compare notes - maybe I'm lucky or instead maybe you are not.

Edit: @netfreakbombay - I haven't seen @karan's video. Will comment later once I go through that. Have a look at igyaan's video if you have the time.

Note from Mod : Please DO NOT quote large text, videos or images as it inconveniences our mobile users. Next time will invite infraction. Thanks

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th September 2012 at 09:41.
Old 5th September 2012, 09:00   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Video is done by my younger brother (MR TECH AGENT)

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
2. As you can see in the video,
Ok - I got time to go through the video - seems to me the OP's brother has got a faulty phone(?).

@Karan561 - the red flashes that your brother got on his phone do not appear on my phone. Plus he seems to be having issues in the touch response too, several times he has had to re-touch the phone to get the action done. I would ask you/him to get that phone checked if you still have it.

Angry birds definitely loads a tad faster on my phone; also so does the browser(s). This is a bit intriguing - maybe I'll try to upload a similar video (review) on the same aspects to put my points clear, maybe over the weekend.

Dude - is your brother based overseas? Or is that phone in Mumbai? If the latter is true, lets meet up over the weekend - would like to see where the phones are different.

@netfreakbombay - hope this clarifies my earlier post revert.
Old 5th September 2012, 11:14   #7
BHPian

How's the battery life though?
Old 5th September 2012, 11:23   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc
Good. I keep the music player on all day with other apps, calls, downloading, browsing inbetween. The battery by eod comes down to 20% odd from 100% in morning. How much other phones last in this price/feature range?
Old 5th September 2012, 11:52   #9
BHPian

What is screen resolution for this 5" screen?
Old 5th September 2012, 12:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

What are the radiation levels of this phone?
Old 5th September 2012, 12:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok - I got time to go through the video - seems to me the OP's brother has got a faulty phone(?).
As per video, phone was supposedly sent by Micromax itself. Sending a faulty phone for "review" does not create confidence about QC.

Quote:
Angry birds definitely loads a tad faster on my phone; also so does the browser(s). This is a bit intriguing - maybe I'll try to upload a similar video (review) on the same aspects to put my points clear, maybe over the weekend.
Can you post file "/proc/cpuinfo" from the phone? You can use a tool like "ES file explorer" to read that file.

Curious to know which CPU is being used on this phone.
Old 5th September 2012, 12:52   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
What is screen resolution for this 5" screen?
800x480 resolution stretched over a 5 inch screen. There is a reason why Micromax is offering this phone at such mouthwatering prices.
Old 5th September 2012, 12:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay
Can you post file "/proc/cpuinfo" from the phone? You can use a tool like "ES file explorer" to read that file.

Curious to know which CPU is being used on this phone.

Here are the contents of that file :-
Quote:
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 503.70
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x0
CPU part : 0xc05
CPU revision : 1

Hardware : QRD MSM7627a QRD1
Old 5th September 2012, 15:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Micromax A100 Cellphone Review

Quote:
Here are the contents of that file :-
Thanks, looks like people on XDA figured out which phone Micormax is selling as A100. Rooting instructions are available now.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1842908
Old 5th September 2012, 20:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Micromax A100 Cellphone Review

Quote:

@Karan561 - the red flashes that your brother got on his phone do not appear on my phone. Plus he seems to be having issues in the touch response too, several times he has had to re-touch the phone to get the action done. I would ask you/him to get that phone checked if you still have it.

Dude - is your brother based overseas? Or is that phone in Mumbai? If the latter is true, lets meet up over the weekend - would like to see where the phones are different.

@netfreakbombay - hope this clarifies my earlier post revert.
Regarding the RED FLASHES : It is not a faulty phone, it is just a setting which may have been activated & cant figure it how to restore it to normal but still shall reconfirm on the same

My brother & I are Mumbai based, what about you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Battery which comes with the phone is 2000 mAh (Li-Ion) which is a good number considering the size of the smart phone.

With normal usage (moderate to heavy) Will easily last a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
What are the radiation levels of this phone?
The SAR Value i.e. is Standard Absorption Rate for the phone is SAR Value: At the Head - 0.495 W/Kg, At the Body - 0.537 W/Kg

^ Considering its below 1 , those are good numbers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks