Dropbox 24 22.43%
SkyDrive 14 13.08%
Other (please specify in your post) 14 13.08%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2015, 14:26   #46
BHPian

Re: Cloud Storage For Music?

Google Play Music is available in India for uploading your own music. The store functionality is not yet in India. You can still sign up for Play Music, pay 2$ a month for 100GB google storage and upload all your songs. You can even stream them to your Android or iOS devices. This is what I am using now.
Old 13th September 2015, 17:17   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Google drive does not have deduplication. Which means if you upload the same set of files it still copies them into Drive as filename (1).mp3. Very frustrating.

Streaming would be great, but primarily want to back them up. Budget would be free or a maximum of 2-3$ a month. About 50GB should suffice for now.
For storage you can get a Virtual server for 15$ P/A with 80GB storage in US and also use it as a VPN(I can help in setting it up) or go with what venu suggested. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 13th September 2015, 18:55   #48
Senior - BHPian

Any online storage i would think about the legal way of aquiring the music in the first place. If all your music are digital paid downloads, cloud service will be good.

Else your options are taking multiple backups in portable drive. The drive prices have come down so much that a 256gb usb stick i last picked for 40$ in a sale. That stores QUITE a number of songs.

There are services that you pay by month to rent space for entire system back up. Uploading and saving is one step, but recovering and restoring takes weeks sometimes based on the size.

You can try flickr for 1TB free. They do store audio files but run copyright and may block the songs.

My back up is on Hard drives and one copy few BD disks. I usually simply take one more copy on these BD disk at the end of a year or two to refresh the back up.

I have also created my own NAS (FREENAS) and that does automatic back up which also provides me option to replace the drives when they are dead without losing content.
Old 14th September 2015, 14:50   #49
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Cloud File Sync & Backup : Google Drive vs Dropbox vs OneDrive vs?

Quote:
I have a huge collection of music that I've collected over years (~50GB) and want it backed up. Any suggestions?
Likewise! I'm now on Google Drive's 1 TB plan and have simply placed my iTunes folder & files within Google Drive.

You should do the same.

Quote:
Google drive does not have deduplication. Which means if you upload the same set of files it still copies them into Drive as filename (1).mp3. Very frustrating.
I honestly prefer it this way.

Either ways, you should remove duplicates via your music software, and not your cloud backup. For instance, in iTunes, there's a menu option to list duplicates.
Old 19th September 2016, 16:04   #50
Senior - BHPian

Microsoft Onedrive for Business

How many are using it?
Nifty program but extremely poorly implemented.

So last week I realized that my laptop's entire hard disk has been filled!
Pinpointed the problem to Microsoft Onedrive for Business application.

It creates a local cache (no, I am not talking about your local folder!), which is order of magnitude larger in size compared to the local Onedrive folder.

The resolution was deletion of all the cache files.

Several people have raised the issues, but looks like Microsoft is behaving like a proverbial ostrich and refuses to acknowledge and address the issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...um=officeitpro

https://www.towfeek.se/2014/12/offic...-size-problem/
Old 29th December 2019, 23:25   #51
BHPian

Re: Cloud File Sync & Backup : Google Drive vs Dropbox vs OneDrive vs?

Bumping up the thread.
In today’s context which is the best cloud backup solution for keeping personal data and photos/videos. Total space that I’m looking is between 1 to 2 TB. Currently I’m using external hard disk (3 copies). It is getting difficult to systematically do that, so was thinking on moving to cloud as data plans are getting cheaper/faster. For phone I’m using iCloud/google. For very important docs it is OneDrive (auto sync) others in external drive.
Getting confused with various providers like google, Microsoft, idrive, backblaze etc.
Old 30th December 2019, 01:22   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

I use Drop Box here in the Netherlands. Not sure how the price compares to India.

I use it for back up of my photographs mainly. I still have two separate hard drives for back up at home and everything goes onto Drop Box as well.

I have 1TB and I will need to upgrade sometime during 2020.

The reason I choose Drop Box is that it is very user friendly, very well encrypted and commercially/price wise they had a very good offer for me.

Jeroen
Old 6th January 2020, 13:17   #53
BHPian

I use free versions of Google drive, One drive and Dropbox. I also use a paid version of Dropbox for my office use, which is being shifted to a newer platform called Egnyte.

Out of Google drive, One drive and Dropbox, I personally like Dropbox for the ease of use. But Egnyte, that we are testing in the office is the best of the lot. It creates a virtual drive on the computer and you may opt for offline view also. Individual files can be selected for offline view.
Old 7th January 2020, 10:31   #54
BHPian

I used to earlier use dropbox but have since moved to google one and one drive. I hold a backup of my backup hence bought storage from two different vendors (adds a layer of safety).

It's getting more challenging to manage to physical backup drives at home. Plan is to eventually hold just a single 1TB physical drive as primary backup of essentials and the two cloud storage options as secondary (and tertiary) for everything!

Incidentally, my alumni account gives 1TB storage for free. However, I prefer not using that. No idea if and when the T&C can change on that!
Old 19th May 2020, 21:23   #55
BHPian

I use One Drive.

Pay around INR 600/- per month.

The plan covers 5 distinct accounts, with each account getting the following -

1. 1 TB cloud storage

2. Microsoft Office 365 across PC and Mobile platforms.

I kept 2 accounts for self, one for spouse, and remaining 2 for other family members.
Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 21:22   #56
BHPian

Is Onedrive a good choice for a small business? Like a 10-15 user organization who wants to work remotely and share files. Now the users are accessing a central file server to access the files. Does a similar work model work with Onedrive? Like create a common account and give access to all the users.
Old 22nd August 2021, 21:42   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Is Onedrive a good choice for a small business? Like a 10-15 user organization who wants to work remotely and share files. Now the users are accessing a central file server to access the files. Does a similar work model work with Onedrive? Like create a common account and give access to all the users.
Yes, for storage, remote access and sharing, One drive is excellent. I love their UI. However, if you are looking for a collaboration tool wherein multiple users can work on documents/slides/spreadsheets etc at the same time, Google Workspace is better.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 11:57   #58
Senior - BHPian

Was invested heavily in Google Drive. Recently, decided to ditch Google & the Android ecosystem for good (still use GMail,GDocs and GMaps) for their anti-trust tracking methods. Also, Google has this penchant for killing off apps at will.

I'm fully invested in the Apple ecosystem now. With the MacBook, iPad and iPhone, iCloud makes the most sense for my use case. I don't need much and use the 50 gig pack for 75/month. The seamless integration it provides with apps and devices is hard to be replicated in Android or Windows.

The best bit about iCloud is the way it's integrated - it doesn't feel like a separate app/space I need to access. The devices take care of all that and when I'm on a non-Apple device, I'm able to use it through any browser.

Voted 'Other' for iCloud as my preferred storage.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 09:06   #59
BHPian

Bumping up this thread to see if I get any answers..

My Google drive storage crossed 90% so I decided to do some cleanup
  • Cleaned up large and unwanted files from G.Drive
    Using filters deleted a whole bunch of email from Gmail especially the large sized ones.
    Deleted many Albums from photos.google.com
    Emptied the folders Trash / Spam etc..

Documentation says that the Storage is common across Gmail / G-Drive / Google Photos..

However
From Google Photos the % free number shows a lot of free space
But from Google Drive the % free number does not reduce.

Any idea why this is so ?
Basically they both show different values of x of 15 gb storage used.

Ps: We are talking only about Free Storage here.
Old 4th January 2022, 09:18   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post

However
From Google Photos the % free number shows a lot of free space
But from Google Drive the % free number does not reduce.

Any idea why this is so ?

Basically they both show different values of x of 15 gb storage used.
I had this issue.

Basically the deleted files go into the 'Bin' and you'll have to delete the files again from there.
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed