Dropbox 24 22.43%
SkyDrive 14 13.08%
Other (please specify in your post) 14 13.08%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 16:49   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Cloud File Sync & Backup : Google Drive vs Dropbox vs OneDrive vs?

Wanted the opinion of BHPians on cloud file sync & backup services.

Summary : These are cloud file storage & sync solutions. Not only do they help you maintain the same file / version on multiple computers, but they can also serve as a useful backup tool (though, scheduled backups to external hard-disks are always recommended). No more emailing yourself any files or documents again. It's as simple as dropping your files into a local folder for them to be background synced to the cloud. Most service providers also have mobile apps.

Google Drive : 5 GB free, unlimited storage of google doc file formats, edit files online (though they need to be converted to Google docs for this), cheap options to upgrade storage (also bumps your gmail up to 25 GB), files are stored in unencrypted format.

Dropbox : 2 GB free, the most seamless user-friendly application, cannot edit documents online, files are stored in encrypted format on their servers. The current market leader.

Microsoft SkyDrive : 7 GB free (25 GB for some users), edit documents online, files are stored in unencrypted format.

Any others? Which do you use and why? If you don't use any of these services, I suggest giving one a test-drive. It's simply too cool & convenient!

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2012 at 16:51.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 16:57   #2
BHPian

re: Cloud File Sync & Backup : Google Drive vs Dropbox vs OneDrive vs?

skydrive used here, along with google drive and Dropbox. The best part about skydrive is that it gives a desktop shortcut to place files into the cloud. Updates fastest in Skydrive.

So far no issues. Like it better than drop box or any others. Others may have a different desktop link/program to update into the cloud. Dropbox updates the file on the cloud the last. Frustrating.
Old 21st September 2012, 17:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

We use Google Drive day-in-day-out for personal and official use (In my office) and it works all the time. It has nifty apps for MAC and other OS for Desktop and Laptop, and at the same time it has apps for Android (Not sure if there is an iPhone app as well).

I did try using SkyDrive briefly but never was as easy to use a Google Drive.
Old 21st September 2012, 17:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

I'm always paranoid about large files, and how changing them in any way will continuously suck up bandwidth as they need to be re-uploaded all over again.

Lately i learned this this was not entirely true! Dropbox uses file deltas and such to only upload changed parts of a file. I think google drive does this too. Not sure about skydrive.

The following is about dropbox :

Quote:
Dropbox uses a binary diff algorythm to break down all files into blocks, and only upload blocks that it doesn't already have in the cloud. All of this is done locally on your computer.

Dropbox doesn't just use your files that you have already uploaded, it aggregates everyones files into one database of blocks, and checks each local block hash against that database.

This means that if someone else has uploaded the same file as yourself (say for example, the latest Ubuntu iso), then the upload will seem instant as there is nothing to upload, but if you are updating a file that changes regularly, like your backup file, then only the changes are uploaded. If you upload a totally unique file, then you have to wait for it all to upload.
Source

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st September 2012 at 17:32.
Old 21st September 2012, 17:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

I use Windows everywhere. Home PC, work laptop and phone. So Skydrive works best for me.

Seamless integration of MS Office Onenote and Skydrive is killer combo for people who take lot of notes.
Old 21st September 2012, 18:04   #6
Team-BHP Support

If you do not immediate retrieval, do take a look at Amazon Glacier. Works out very cheap
Old 21st September 2012, 18:45   #7
BHPian

Google Drive - Extremley User Friendly, and the least number of keystrokes whilst working on a document.

SkyDrive - Also very user friendly, I have used very little of it as most of my stuff is on Drive, but it next natural progression for anyone using MS Office.

Zoho CRM - All my client interactions (telephonic) are done here. It is a very input intensive, but when the reports are to be pulled up to know the progression of Cold Lead to Warm to Hot to client. Its the most relevant. I am testing this at the moment, they do have all the bells and whistles like Google Drive, see lets see how this one pans out.

Last edited by neofromcapone : 21st September 2012 at 18:46. Reason: typo
Old 21st September 2012, 19:05   #8
BHPian

I am currently using Sky Drive (25 GB) and Google Drive (10GB).
I have divided them like this --> All my personal stuff (like Photos, videos) are in Sky drive and professional stuff are in Google drive.
Both of them provide me desktop apps, and hence just needs to just drag and drop the files into the local folder to sync it up.
This is primarily used as back up in case my HDDs fail.
I would recommend both services as I am happy with both!
Old 21st September 2012, 20:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Google Drive : 5 GB free, unlimited storage of google doc file formats, edit files online...
I've been using Google drive since the day it has been launched. The UI is extremely easy and fun to use. You don't even feel like you've installed a cloud storage app on your PC. It is listed like any other folder in your computer.

Mainly use it to read my docs On The Go on my Android phone. The snappy Android app is a real delight to use. The sync is instant. Moreover it allows to edit docs too!

And being a product of Google you don't have to remember too many passwords!

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2012 at 12:18. Reason: As requested
Old 21st September 2012, 20:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
I have divided them like this --> All my personal stuff (like Photos, videos) are in Sky drive and professional stuff are in Google drive.
Agree to this as a best practice. Additionally I would always recommend an encrypted format storage. Even your photos may sometimes contain sensitive information e.g. scanned documents or a snap of your home or car keys you clicked with your phone.
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:12   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

I use dropbox primarily because of it's popularity at B-School, it's the best way to collaborate on group assignments such as presentations etc.
Also, I get my music updates on it, several DJ friends have folder that they keep uploading new tunes too so I do not have to hunt for music ever.
Old 22nd September 2012, 03:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Dropbox for a while now & really like its ease of use. My primary use is to share/make accessible important documents across my Laptops & devices, the fact that it has an Android & iPhone app helps further.
Old 22nd September 2012, 06:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

In our company, we have a team of ~8 people working across 2-3 countries, day-in/day-out on excel files hitting 100-200 MB in size. They are extremely happy with dropbox and it is the only seamless solution that works so quickly and works awesomely across devices. Of course, you may need to buy space in a while but being efficient with referrals gets you enough breathing room

WHY go anywhere else?
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

I am a SkyDrive (now with 25GB) user since is came into existance. I may rate it a 10/10 for it's recent integration to Windows 7 OS through an installation and integration with Windows 8 by default. It is seamless to use and the 3 main office application (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) works pretty easy with it. The new Outlook.com theme is so soothing for eyes and very user-friendly. The icing of the cake is that I can even manage my skydrive from my Xperia Ray!

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Lately i learned this this was not entirely true! Dropbox uses file deltas and such to only upload changed parts of a file.
The protocol is rsync (quite similar to ftp or http but does differential update). All most all online backup providers use rsync or similar implementation. Not only this saves the customers bandwidth, it save the providers bandwidth too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
WHY go anywhere else?
Recently Dropbox accounts were hacked. So Dropbox reset the password of all users ! After burning their finger, I think they have moved to 2 factor authentication.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks