Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2014, 12:01   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: A step by Step guide to setting up a Home security system

Quote:
Originally Posted by venks View Post
Hi sohail99,

I am planning to buy foscam for outdoor monitoring. Did you buy it in India or US? do they provide support here? I checked Amazon.com review for Foscam outdoor camera and see lot of comments on reliability issues.

Thanks
I would advise you to use foscam for indoor use only.(Got it from US btw)

For outdoor PTZ solution, I would recommend a dedicated IP ptz camera with minimum ip66 or ip67 rating.
Old 20th July 2014, 13:39   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I would advise you to use foscam for indoor use only.(Got it from US btw)

For outdoor PTZ solution, I would recommend a dedicated IP ptz camera with minimum ip66 or ip67 rating.
Thanks sohail for pointing that out, since they have mentioned this as outdoor camera, I assumed it would be ip66/ip67 certified. I am trying to figure out if there is any alternative option available, do let me know if you have recommendation. I am looking for a outdoor camera with the following basic requirement:

- Reliable and works fine in external environment where it would be exposed to direct sun, rain etc
- Not very keen on wifi, don't see any particular advantage as we need cable to power up the camera.
-Easy to install and stream via IP to laptop or smartphone (iphone)
-Uses some compression technique (H264) so that bandwidth consumption can be minimized and there won't be any interruption.
-Micro SD slot to record the video
-Intrusion alerts (capability to mark the area as well) via email with picture/video.

Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:22   #48
BHPian

Hello Gurus,

I need to install a camera in one of our rooms for monitoring Nanny. The system need not have any fancy features but should be able to capture and store approx. 8 hours of video per day (Also, merely the presence of camera will mean Nanny will take her job seriously). Is there any reliable camera which will require minimum or no wiring (as we live on rent) and can store video on SD card which I can monitor at the end of the day on Laptop. I also read in various posts that IP camera can be a good solution and even its feed can be monitored online. I'm looking at an inexpensive solution for 4-5 months only so any help in keeping the costs low will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 24th March 2015, 12:48   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Hello Gurus,

I need to install a camera in one of our rooms for monitoring ... inexpensive solution for 4-5 months only so any help in keeping the costs low will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Use an older/un-used Android phone to set up a wifi camera. Its quite simple to set-up/install and should fulfill your requirements.

http://lifehacker.com/build-a-wi-fi-...one-1676229571
Old 24th March 2015, 16:39   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIched'Out View Post
Hello Gurus,

I need to install a camera in one of our rooms for monitoring Nanny. The system need not have any fancy features but should be able to capture and store approx. 8 hours of video per day (Also, merely the presence of camera will mean Nanny will take her job seriously). Is there any reliable camera which will require minimum or no wiring (as we live on rent) and can store video on SD card which I can monitor at the end of the day on Laptop. I also read in various posts that IP camera can be a good solution and even its feed can be monitored online. I'm looking at an inexpensive solution for 4-5 months only so any help in keeping the costs low will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi TSIched,

Have responded to you on your PM with details of the recommended solution for you. What I have suggested is a wireless IP camera with onboard SD card recording, which will require only a power supply connection.
Hi TSIched,

Sure, happy to help out. What you can go in for is a standalone IP camera with SD card support and Wireless built it (assuming you have WIFI at home).
One of the better brands is HIKVision, which you can get on ebay: HIKVISION 1.3MP IR Qube IP CCTV Camera (DS-2CD2412F-IW)
or any other source.
This supports onboard MicroSD card and depending on the memory card size, resolution and frame rate you can get 4-16 Hours of storage on a 16GB card.
This only will need a Power supply connected and no wired lan is required (only for initial configuration you will need to connect to your router for network setup through the setup CD).
Should be fairly simple to setup.

The Process to Setup is as below:

1) Power on the IP camera and connect with LAN cable to the router
2) Run the CD in your Laptop and it will detect the IP Camera on your LAN.
3) Go to the Wifi camera configuration tool : key in the WIfi access password to enable access to your wifi network by the camera
4) Disconnect the LAN cable. You should able to see the wifi camera on the network
5) Once the software installation is complete, you can see the feed on your laptop
6) To get the feed on your Mobile / tablet through remote access you will need IVMS 4500 software (free) - install this and configure a few settings
7) Get a DynDNS account (earlier used to be free, now is around 1800 / year) and configure your router with the Dyndns settings so that the url always points to the correct IP as all ISPs use Dynamic IP
8) Do the port forwarding in the router for the camera for ports 80, 8000 and 556
9) you should be able to see the feed now.
Alternatively there is a P2P (point to Point) connection software called EZviz which HIK uses and you have to register with EZviz and enter the details in the camera - but problem is that it doesn't work half the time!

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 24th March 2015 at 16:55. Reason: Updated with more details
Old 24th March 2015, 16:45   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi TSIched,

Have responded to you on your PM with details of the recommended solution for you. What I have suggested is a wireless IP camera with onboard SD card recording, which will require only a power supply connection.

Regards,
Behemoth
Can you post the details here? thanks. I know there are lots of them but would help in finding how the setup performed.
Old 12th August 2015, 20:10   #52
BHPian

Just the thread that I needed.. Have been on the lookout for a good CCTV system for our home.
Offlate there's regular intruder at our home. He seems to just jump over the gate, open up the windows and try to grab whatever stuff he can lay his hands on.
This has created a need to have a good CCTV - need to be able to capture the intruders face and actions, so that it will be easy to follow-up with authorities.
Explored some of the options online/offline. Got a quote of 20k for a 4ch-3 cam ( 800TVL ) - 1TB HDD, system of make Secureye.

Though realized that buying the same stuff online (amazon, flipkart & snapdeal have great discounts ) appears to be a better bet. Just not sure of which of the brands to opt.

DIY is very tempting and will have to close out on this in a day or two. Need to have the setup up and running by this Saturday.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 12th August 2015, 21:38   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Just the thread that I needed.. Have been on the lookout for a good CCTV system for our home.
Offlate there's regular intruder at our home. He seems to just jump over the gate, open up the windows and try to grab whatever stuff he can lay his hands on.
Hi Haque,

Happy to help you out.
Stay clear of Secureye - it is sheer eyewash.
What I recommend is the below setup, which should cost you below 22K, if you do the install yourself.
Hikvision Turbo HD DVR: 7204 HGHI-SH
Install a 1 TB SATA HDD in this.
Get 4# of Outdoor Hikvision cameras Ds-2ce16c2t-ir Turbo Hd720p
You will need CCTV cable (length as required) and BNC connectors 8#
DC power Supply 12V 5 A
DC Power connectors 4#.
You can install the system as I shared in the opening post. (this system inspite of being HD works over analog and does not need CAT6 cabling).

What I also recommend is a 250W Halogen Floodlight connected with a Motion sensor also in your garden area which will turn on as soon as motion is detected, and the cameras will do the recording as required. Keep the DVR set to record all cameras continuously.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 12th August 2015 at 21:42.
Old 21st January 2016, 22:07   #54
BHPian

The need for cams in my case is just one, lunatic neighbor. Who always wants to look into our house, harass my parents when I am away. I have shortlisted a few cams. What is the best that works in the dark? suggest some brands. And cabling cost per ft. All inputs are great. ( Everything else has been taken care off. This is for evidence. Discreet cams with night vision with IP is what I am looking for).
Old 25th January 2016, 01:04   #55
BHPian

For dark locations or outside coverage, it would be best if you can opt for IR Array based camera.

they would bring out night vision more clearly and should have the stuff you need.

Most budget cameras would have IR L.E.D rings consisting of 24-48 L.E.D's while array one would have anything from 1 to 3 Array for illumination which will surpass any number of normal L.E.D.'s when it comes to illumination.

another good option would be to Buy IR Array illuminator and use it with your Existing Older camera (those upto 800TVL or even 1MP) and see that quality of night vision footage would improve much more than your expectation.

An IR Array of 2 L.E.D's with Lens should cost around Rs.200/- without the power suply and housing, but is way too good way in improving CCTV camera image quality.
Old 31st August 2016, 17:23   #56
BHPian

Hi Everyone;
I have created a 4 camera setup with DVR and it records everything on an internal HDD. Nowadays its becoming very common for thief's to steal DVR also so if anyone could suggest a cheap but reliable solution to store camera feed on internet also which can be retrieved as when required.
Thanks in advance
Old 31st August 2016, 19:35   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Hi Everyone;
I have created a 4 camera setup with DVR and it records everything on an internal HDD. Nowadays its becoming very common for thief's to steal DVR also so if anyone could suggest a cheap but reliable solution to store camera feed on internet also which can be retrieved as when required.
Thanks in advance
sparkguy, I have a somewhat similar problem, I already have a 6 camera D-Link IP camera setup at home and am looking for a DVR to record the same.

Currently I only watch it as and when needed but feel recording of some of the cameras will be useful. D-link sells a Rs. 7.25k DVR (DNR-202L) themselves which is also wireless and only needs a power connection & HDD(s) to record to. As it is also wireless, one can hide it or lock it away somewhere along with the router itself.

http://www.amazon.in/D-Link-Camera-R.../dp/B00F0R9V76

Has anyone used it?
Old 10th September 2016, 08:43   #58
BHPian

Is there a video door phone solution which I can fix at main gate and see through a video screen or to ? Can I hook it to a Dvr for recording purpose ?
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:16   #59
BHPian

Any reliable shops/webstore to buy cctv products?

Do online purchases have valid warranty cover? When i enquired prior to purchase, the local Hikvision distributor is denying product cover for vendors on Amazon.
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:24   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Any reliable shops/webstore to buy cctv products?

Do online purchases have valid warranty cover? When i enquired prior to purchase, the local Hikvision distributor is denying product cover for vendors on Amazon.
The company's policy is to refuse warranty on all purchases made online through Amazon. It only honours warranty requests if they come supported by the dealer invoice and also a request letter from dealer asking for repairs under warranty. This policy is not logical but this is what they follow.

Most Viewed