Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2006, 17:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Xbox hacks, tips and tricks needed

I have heard that one can do many things other than just playing games on it. But i dont know how to go about it...
Old 20th May 2006, 17:53   #2
BHPian

Tell me what you need specifically and i can help you. Other than playing games an xbox can play dvds, music and vcds. theres also the online play xbox live function but i don't think that works in india.
Old 20th May 2006, 18:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Tribute..
Yes I want to play music, dvds, vcds... can i play divx/avi/mpeg videos too?.. can i play mp3??
Old 20th May 2006, 18:06   #4
BHPian

IMO the Xbox needs a module which u can plug in which will allow one to play other formats.. If there are other ways even I am interested to know..
Cheers
Old 20th May 2006, 18:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have the EVO X mod chip already installed....
Old 20th May 2006, 20:48   #6
BHPian

Google on XBMC (XBox Media Center). Its based on mplayer. I have it running on my XBox and it plays almost all the discs I throw at it.
You can still play the normal XBox games after installing it.
Old 20th May 2006, 20:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psynaps3
Google on XBMC (XBox Media Center). Its based on mplayer. I have it running on my XBox and it plays almost all the discs I throw at it.
You can still play the normal XBox games after installing it.

I searched it in a lot of sites, but its not available for download. Only the source code is.
Old 22nd May 2006, 17:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

anyone with a clue... ?
Old 22nd May 2006, 20:33   #9
BHPian

Xbox...hmm Way back when xbox was first release, had come across an article about a certain chinese phd student who had hacked the xbox. It was a wonderfull read...

Googled it and was able to retrieve the doc.
http://web.mit.edu/bunnie/www/proj/a...M-2002-008.pdf
Though the site I read had a first person account and it was interesting. Could not locate that now.

If you are aware of this, pls ignore.

-Haque
Old 23rd May 2006, 00:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

To use XBMC you need a chipped or softmodded xbox.

I softmodded mine a while back. It is a simple process and can be reversed. All it involved is putting a few exploit saves onto your xbox then running a game (Splinter Cell or one of two others) to load the exploit and softmod your xbox.

After the xbox has been modded the world is your oyster. You can load XBMC which is an excellent bit of software. You can watch xvid, divx, dvd, avi, wmv etc etc. http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de has a manual and a list of what formats is supports.

Besides that you can do all sorts of neat things. You can get dvd2xbox and backup games (of casue your legally owned games) to the hard drive. This is only worthwhile if you install in a large hard drive. I have got a 160gig hard drive which I prepared this afternoon and will install some time tomorrow. Besides that you can easily backup games with a modded xbox.

As for getting hold of the exploits for a softmod and all the other software (XBMC etc etc) it is via IRC and FTP. There are some instructions here on using xbins : http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbins.php

The best softmod exploit to use is Krayzie Ndure 1.1 . Do not use any other package unless you want problems.
Old 23rd May 2006, 00:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
I searched it in a lot of sites, but its not available for download. Only the source code is.
Xbins. See link I have posted below on how to use xbins.
Old 12th June 2006, 20:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Are there any users in India playing using Xbox live? I have tried it but it asks me for some code, which I cant get in India. Any workarounds? I have an airtel 512 broadband and would love to play onlilne like I do for my PC games but have not been able to do so on my xbox, xbox live account etc needed.. Is it available in India in the first place?
Old 13th June 2006, 16:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am downloading the slayers evo x auto installer.exe file (158mb). Now what to do from here? Its an EXE file and not an ISO. Is this file to be written on a CD-RW (i heard this frm someone).. or a normal DVD or a CD-R?
Old 13th June 2006, 21:03   #14
BHPian

I have to slayer too. got it built in to my xbox. Works fine. My freind wanted it too. He wrote it on a dvd. Works fine. Guess u shud use a dvd too.
Old 13th June 2006, 23:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Now in the installer screen there are two options: Retail HD and Large/Upgraded HD.. which one should i select?.. my Xbox already has EVOX mod chp

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks