Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2006, 04:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

iMate Jamin v/s o2 Atom!!

Hey Guys,
I need to buy a palm and have shortlisted these two. Both look good(size), perform well and are exactly what i need. Ive been going through a lot of reviews on the internet. The more i read, more i get confused.
Please advice as to which is more VFM.
Thanks in advance.

X
Old 25th May 2006, 04:27   #2
BHPian

Dont know about the price. But i'm looking for one myself.

The problems would be that the JAMin has a very weak 200 mhz processor. So you shouldnt expect very good performance when u load it.

The ATOM is the first product by an OEM manufacturer Quanta. Its very unpredictable.. buggy to say the least. The camera takes over 6 seconds to switch on. Future firmwares may remove bugs.. but it cant be guaranteed and audio quality seems to be a problem for the atom also..a bit echo-ie.

Frankly speaking right now there are no good pda+phones that suit anyones bill..
every device has one shortcoming or the other, like
1)Poor screen (HP)
2) Buggy (atom)
3) Slow(Jamin and Kjam)
4) Big (Jasjar)

In other words. Of the above problems every device has one and is ok on the rest of the three.

Waiting is the only option for me right now for the PDA. But i'm going for the Imate SP5 as my immediate requirements are a huge contact list.

Last edited by Fuelled : 25th May 2006 at 04:34.
Old 25th May 2006, 10:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,
I need to buy a palm and have shortlisted these two
First things first. Its not a palm you are looking for, its called windows pocket pc phone. If you say palm then you are looking at treo 700W, treo 700P and treo 700L(rumoured to come soon)

from the above mentioned phones I would go for the Xda atom. If you are so concerned about the bugs then wait until HP brings out its ipaq version(coming soon).

If wi-fi is not a necessity then also look at the small linux Pocket pc phones called motorola A1200 Ming and motorola E680i.

A1200 Ming
It's 18gms lighter, brighter screen(256k effective), quad-band, speech recognition for applications(opens apps and reads out sms), uses T-flash(micro SD), 8mb inbuilt memory, intel xscale 300mhz cpu, bluetooth, much better quality 2mp camera with flash and macromode, linux montavista kernel with Qtopia UI. open source now supported by motorola. Business Card reader. msn messenger.
Ming user review with pics

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/mo...ng-review.html

E680i
E680i has 2gig card support, 3d graphics drivers with excellent games (Quake+doom+ fight Club+ SWAT etc) the best 3d stereo speakers with haptics, radio, Real player, winamp(available), Bests stereo bluetooth support, 7 grams lighter than atom, speech recognition( opens apps and reads out sms), 50mb built in memory, intel xscale 312mhz cpu, Milky white ipod looks with similar coloured earphones, montavista linux kernel with QTopia UI. open source now supported by motorola.

Xda Atom
Atom has stereo speakers( Moto is master but surprisingly has not included stereo speakers in A1200(Ming), 64mb ram, 128mb rom, 412mhz intel xscale cpu, wi-fi b, windows mobile 5.0, Tons of applications.

Advantages of using linux over windows are more efficient and stable than windows. linux is also faster at lower clock speeds than windows at higher clock speeds. and the best of all linux gadgets are cheaper than windows coz linux is free.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone1=1429
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone1=1136

Last edited by devarshi84 : 25th May 2006 at 10:34.
Old 25th May 2006, 10:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are getting the device from abroad, check Eten M600. It is better than the two you mentioned. TBHP member Steeroid uses that.

Also Asus us coming with a new device. Looks verty good. Check it out here:http://pocketpcdubai.infopop.cc/grou...4/m/6521064541
Old 25th May 2006, 10:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

O2 mini sells at 14.5k ; brand new; whole pack. My vote for O2 atom.

Check this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...om-review.html
Old 25th May 2006, 10:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
If you are getting the device from abroad, check Eten M600. It is better than the two you mentioned. TBHP member Steeroid uses that.

Also Asus us coming with a new device. Looks verty good. Check it out here:http://pocketpcdubai.infopop.cc/grou...4/m/6521064541
If he doesnt have a problem with bullky phones than y even look at eten m600. here is the baap of all.

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/home/..._t_series.html

comes with wi-fi b/G instead of only b in m600
voip via wlan as well as UMTS
built in GPS
Built in QWERTY keypad
2mp camera with auto focus
Old 25th May 2006, 10:51   #7
BHPian

go for the O2 Xda IIs.. or I-mate PDA2K...thats discontinued..but a really nice phone..no bugs whatsoever..using that one only..though selling it soon..bored of it..been using it since a week
Old 25th May 2006, 11:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Dont bother with iMate JAMIN or O2 Atom (sorry, Navin!) and go for the Eten M600.

It is, without doubt, THE best Pocket PC phone that has ever come out till date. And I've used all of them so far.

The Samsung processor is zippy and efficient - its probably the only device that can actually handle Skype calls over WiFi. All the others are pretenders - you can install Skype on all of them, but will never be able to use it properly.

WiFi capabilities are good even if its only 802.11b (c'mon how much speed do you need for device of that size?). Battery life is excellent and the phone lasts 2.5 to 3 days with some amount of GPRS and WiFi usage - all the others conk out at the end of day 1.

Best of all, Eten has probably been the only device manufacturer to come up with regular ROM (thats your OS and application) updates, almost one every month or every other month. iMate or O2 launch upgrades probably twice or thrice in a year if you're lucky.

CONS:
1. There seems to be a small issue with the loudspeaker (2nd speaker behind the phone that plays alarms, rings, et al) and it seems to have a low-volume problem with certain sound files. I'm currently using the airtel polyphonic ringtone because thats loud and clear on the device - all my mp3 and wav ringtones are rather quiet.

2. Camera is no great shakes even if its one of the better cameras on Windows devices. I hardly use it so its not an issue for me.

3. Bluetooth had some issues (esp sleep mode) in earlier ROM versions, but it now seems have been sorted out with ROM Version 216.

Eten has been very proactive and I'd vote for this device anyday.
Old 25th May 2006, 11:22   #9
BHPian

hi Steeroid, is the eten available in india? what price, iam presently using a 9500 communicator, looking for a change.
devarshi84, the fujitsu model aslo looks good, i used to own a lifebook notebook frm fujitsu, got stolen.
Old 25th May 2006, 11:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie
hi Steeroid, is the eten available in india?
I have no idea, netarchie. The prices in India for most high-end devices have been generally in line with the prices abroad and my device cost me approx Rs.27k with a free 1GB SD Card.
Old 25th May 2006, 11:55   #11
BHPian

Dude go for the O2 Atom.It rocks to the core.But these are based on Windows,as u mentioned 'Palm' means Treo range.
Old 25th May 2006, 13:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Eten M600+ is coming soon with 256 MB ROM, 2.0 MP camera and Bluetooth 2.0
Old 25th May 2006, 13:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
If he doesnt have a problem with bullky phones than y even look at eten m600. here is the baap of all.

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/home/..._t_series.html

comes with wi-fi b/G instead of only b in m600
voip via wlan as well as UMTS
built in GPS
Built in QWERTY keypad
2mp camera with auto focus
Has this been released? What is the price?
Old 29th May 2006, 14:52   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Dont bother with iMate JAMIN or O2 Atom (sorry, Navin!) and go for the Eten M600..
I've been using the Atom for a while now. I am no Pro like Steeroid and others here but all these pocket PC phones come with a learning curve esp. for old foggies like me.

For example it took me 3 days to figure out that my Eudora's MAPI was interfering with Microsoft's Activesync.

The Eten is probably a better phone than the Atom and might have better serivce (O2's service is quite poor) but the Atom has a 2MP camera which makes nice postcard size prints albeit only in good sunlight and a a bit smaller than the Eten.

Steeroid: How responsive is the Eten's camera?
Old 1st June 2006, 01:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, thanks a ton for all the valuable replies guys.
So i see, that most of the guys prefer o2 and eten to imate.

Eten : I have yet to see that device in mumbai. I dont just wanna pick it up from abroad without briefing it. As Steeriod mentioned, there's a problem with the speaker volume which is saddening. Thats something essential in my phone. The Bluetooth issue seems to be sorted out, and i hardly give any importance to the camera.

iMate : I checked this one out a couple of days back. And it is slow ,as many of you here rightly mentioned. I was really impressed though, with the size. Its frickin smaller and lighter than the 910i im presently using.

o2 : This one seems the cheapest on the pocket amongst the lot. As Devarshi said, it operated on Linux. Impressive, but can one really count on it?? As i believe Linux is a new player in this field. What is the service back-up like, in India???

After going through a lot of reviews on other sites and inputs from you guys i think i need to list out my essentials.
1) Decent processor.
2) Syncing.
3) Speaker phone volume.
4) Reliable Bluetooth.
5) Fast internet connectivity.
6) Weight and Size.

I dont really care about the camera. Thats least of my priorities.
Please Help me out guys. Thanks.

X

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks