Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 18:39   #331
BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

I am on the 8Mbps Rs. 2799 plan from BSNL.

My Speedtest results are: 3.13 Mbps down, 0.56 Mbps up (about the best results I have ever got at any time of the day).

At no time have my speeds even approached the promised plan speeds, and indeed, I rarely get even 2 Mbps.

Additionally, my modem seems to be capped at 4096 kbps even though my plan calls for the limit to be 8192 Kbps.

What can I do about this?
Attached Thumbnails
How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-modem_speeds.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 2nd May 2013, 20:42   #332
BHPian

I am on bsnl 850 UNLIMITED plan.
For first 10 gb speed is 2 mbps (actual download at around 150 kbps)
Later on its 512 kbps (actual download at around 60 kbps)
Plus they give 100 rs calls free.
Old 3rd May 2013, 00:40   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Anyone using BBNL Broadband here in Bangalore? Rs 999+tax for 10 Mbps (without FUP) sounds brilliant!
Yes, I am using the same plan and am getting 7 Mbps d/l and 2 Mbps u/l speed at any time.
Old 3rd May 2013, 06:28   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhpindian View Post
I am on bsnl 850 UNLIMITED plan.
For first 10 gb speed is 2 mbps (actual download at around 150 kbps)
Later on its 512 kbps (actual download at around 60 kbps)
Plus they give 100 rs calls free.
The download speed is shown in KB (kilo bytes) and speed sold by Bsnl or others is in kb/mb ( kilobits / megabits).

So your effective download speed is 150KB = 150*8 (1240 kbps) close to 1.2 mbps.

Cheers !
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:47   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Yes, I am using the same plan and am getting 7 Mbps d/l and 2 Mbps u/l speed at any time.
Thanks Voyager. 7 Mbps sounds great. What is the downtime like? How often does it occur and how soon is it usually rectified?

There arent any hidden T&Cs right?

Last edited by Recompose : 3rd May 2013 at 09:49.
Old 5th May 2013, 09:05   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post

The download speed is shown in KB (kilo bytes) and speed sold by Bsnl or others is in kb/mb ( kilobits / megabits).

So your effective download speed is 150KB = 150*8 (1240 kbps) close to 1.2 mbps.
I didnt knew that conversion.
And was pretty skeptical of ISPs claiming such high speeds and delivering so less.
Thanks!
Old 6th May 2013, 15:36   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Voyager. 7 Mbps sounds great. What is the downtime like? How often does it occur and how soon is it usually rectified?

There arent any hidden T&Cs right?
My major downtime is from the power cuts. BBNL doesn't have UPS for their switch installed in the apartment basement. When I spoke to them, they said they need more connections in the apartment to install the UPS. The generator in my apartment takes 10-15 seconds for auto-start and giving the backup power, so within 1 minute, the internet connection will be back.

Other than the power cuts, the disconnections are rare, but connectivity comes back automatically within 30 mins or so. Their customer support is good and since their office is close by (in RT Nagar), somebody visits your house within 30 mins.

There are no hidden costs. This is a true unlimited connection without any bandwidth limitation and I pay Rs.1120/month inclusive of all taxes.
Old 6th May 2013, 15:57   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
My major downtime is from the power cuts. BBNL doesn't have UPS for their switch installed in the apartment basement. When I spoke to them, they said they need more connections in the apartment to install the UPS. The generator in my apartment takes 10-15 seconds for auto-start and giving the backup power, so within 1 minute, the internet connection will be back.

Other than the power cuts, the disconnections are rare, but connectivity comes back automatically within 30 mins or so. Their customer support is good and since their office is close by (in RT Nagar), somebody visits your house within 30 mins.

There are no hidden costs. This is a true unlimited connection without any bandwidth limitation and I pay Rs.1120/month inclusive of all taxes.
Thanks Voyager, you've dispelled most of my apprehensions. Looks like BBNL are getting a new customer soon. Rs. 1120 for 7 Mbps which is truly unlimited sounds like a super bargain.
Old 6th May 2013, 16:20   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Voyager, you've dispelled most of my apprehensions. Looks like BBNL are getting a new customer soon. Rs. 1120 for 7 Mbps which is truly unlimited sounds like a super bargain.
When I moved in to my current apartment, I too had the same apprehensions as I hadn't heard the BBNL name before. So I asked for a 10 days free trial period, to which they obliged. After 10 days of free trial, I was satisfied with the speed and connectivity and I went ahead with BBNL. I recommend you to go for a trial period as their connectivity issues may vary from area to area. One point to note - their cable modem (without wireless support) will support only one LAN connection, though it has 4 LAN output ports. It was not a problem for me as I had a separate wireless router (Cisco E1500) which supports multiple LAN and wireless devices.

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 6th May 2013 at 16:39.
Old 6th May 2013, 16:57   #340
Senior - BHPian

I am sure that most of you are aware that from Jan 1, 2011, as per TRAI, broadband has been defined as ``...A data connection using any technology that is able to support interactive services including Internet access and support a minimum download speed of 512 Kilo bits per second (Kbps). The stipulated download speed for any broadband connection will be 2 mbps from Jan 1, 2015.

However, what is confusing is what happens when a customer exceeds FUP. In most of Airtel's plans, the download speed drops to 256 kbps post FUP. This is not considered broadband from Jan 1, 2011.

In my 8 mbps connection, download speed drops to 512 kbps post FUP of 175GB. What happens after Jan 1, 2015. Seeing this is India, one cannot expect much but still even in a broadband plan now, reducing download speed to 256 kbps post FUP no longer makes it broadband.

Last edited by vasudeva : 6th May 2013 at 16:59.
Old 6th May 2013, 17:36   #341
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I am tired of my cable internet and looking for some good options in Mumbai.
My daily usage would be Tbhp, FB, emails etc and downloading music and movies over the weekend. (maybe 2 movies per week).

Is MTNL Triband good? If not which other service provider offers good speed. I am paying 325 per month to the cable operator and dont mind paying double the amount for good speeds and better service.

Thanks.
Old 12th May 2013, 11:02   #342
Team-BHP Support

Need desperate help from Mumbai members and especially from south Mumbai.

Which is the good broadband connection in Colaba area.
At home my (till a fortnight ago) phone was always showing 3G with proper signal strength. Now I see mostly EDGE and rarely 3G.
For my short requirement I was using my phone as hotspot because my other connection (DOCOMO Photon+) is a joke anyway.

I tried getting in touch with Airtel and got a message - "We thank you for your interest in Airtel Broadband. We regret to inform you that we are currently unable to process your request (ref. no. 174344326) due to non coverage of your area. We look forward to your patronage in the future".

I need a proper broadband and router here. Can somebody please give me some suggestion?
Old 12th May 2013, 11:46   #343
BANNED

I have a Connect (infotel) Broadband.

Costs 888+tax
10 GB Fair usage at 1Mbps
Unlimited after 10Gb at 256 Kbps.

NO problems in usage, just plain expensive for the FUP and speed provided

Looking to go to Reliance Broadband.

999+ tax for 25Gb Fup at wait for it.....12 Mbps!!
Post FUP at 1 Mbps.
Just skeptic about the quality of service. Any idea from the Bhpians over here. How good is Reliance in your area?
Old 29th May 2013, 16:34   #344
BHPian

Does anyone know how ISP sales people can be dealt with?
I paid 4K advance to the ACT sales person (Manju - 9945595541) for their 50 mbps connection. This guy took the cash, and told me that within 7 working days connection will be activated. No one called me after 5 days, so I called their customer service. My application has not been lodged apparently (in their system). I called today again - and same response. My application has not been lodged in their system. The CS guy tells me that it will take 7 working days from the day application is lodged (which has not happened as of now, and it's been 7 working days since I paid the advance).
At the same time, this Manju fellow is not answering my calls at all. The only response I get, is if I call more than 20-30 time - he sends an SMS with text like "I will call you today sir", or "Sir, today we are coming to your place to fix the connection". However, none of these promises are kept, and neither does he ever answer the call.
My problem is that Saturday I am travelling abroad for 2 weeks. Knowing these CS guys, I know that if I am not reachable on my phone, nothing will get done. Does anyone know how I can escalate this issue?
Old 29th May 2013, 21:51   #345
Senior - BHPian

Tried calling Tata Docomo several times. Finally they called and said that they cant provide broadband service in my area. How can this be possible. As a service provider arent they not liable to provide service in a particular city and i stay in the suburbs, not on the outskirts etc where service can be an issue.

I want a proper broadband service but then not able to find a reliable one (no airtel / reliance for me) so thinking of going for the Vodafone Dongle. What to do

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks