Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2014, 00:22   #421
BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I have the Hathway connection and I notice a wide variation of speed. Even the speed check gives a reading anywhere from 63 to 25 Mbps in download within a gap of two minutes.
It doesn't go bellow that so I am not really complaining.
[quote=amitk26;3511567]I moved to hathway 50mbps plan recently, speed is good but most of the time indian websites such as rediff.com , samachar.com and also petapixel.com are inaccessible. At the same moment these sites are accessible by Airtel 3G connection. Youtube , Facebook and whatsapp continue to work but many otjer websites remain unreachable for hours.

Braindead/Amitk
Hi
I subscribed 9 months back for Hathway 50 MBPS ( with router it varies between 37 and 40 mbps)
Every few days it stops working. When you put on the internet you are not sure if it will work. Recently it was not working from 21/8 8.30 PM(that is the time when I switched on) until 10 AM the next day.
Before this I had MTNL for than 2 years and there were only 2/3 times when it didn't work.
Earlier than MTNL I had Hathway but discontinued because of bad customer service. Still now it is bad. Emails don't get replied to. You don't get a proper answer as to when will it start working. Their standard reply is that the so called engineers are working on it. And to add to your woes they don't refund for your downtime.
Any of you face quality issues?
Regards
Old 19th September 2014, 01:19   #422
BHPian

Got this using Airtel 4G on my Galaxy S5 in Bangalore!

But on average I get around 30Mbps.
Attached Thumbnails
How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-10685568_10152628754121329_4229122448637650917_n.jpg  

Old 4th October 2014, 19:12   #423
BHPian

This month I got my Airtel BB bill and was surprised to see the prices jacked up without informing me.

So this is how it is: I have Airtel BB connection, unlimited, 2 mbps for 20 GB limit and 512 kbps after that. For this, now my bill comes to Rs. 1,500+

I am using Airtel for the last 5/6 years and I have stuck with it mainly because of inertia, but also I believed that their customer service and uptimes are good. Never had any issues with them.

But now I am feeling I am paying more and getting less. Hence, I am thinking of shifting to some other BB provider in Chennai. In my area, there is Spectranet fiber service, but I haven't used them. Anyone have any experience with Spectranet fiber? And in general, any other suggestions in Chennai?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by murillo : 4th October 2014 at 19:20.
Old 6th October 2014, 16:24   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
This month I got my Airtel BB bill and was surprised to see the prices jacked up without informing me.

So this is how it is: I have Airtel BB connection, unlimited, 2 mbps for 20 GB limit and 512 kbps after that. For this, now my bill comes to Rs. 1,500+
That is way too high what you are paying. Generally telco's don't inform or get you the new rate. We have to do it ourselves to get us changed to the new tariff plans. New tariff plans here http://www.airtel.in/broadband-and-f...adband/tarrifs
Old 6th October 2014, 20:57   #425
Team-BHP Support

Recently switched my Hathway service plan to 50 Mbps, 25 GB/month FUP for INR 916 monthly (including taxes). Speed fluctuates a bit, but never bad enough to render it unusable. Unreliable latency is more or less a way of life in Indian internet circles so not bothered too much. I have a backup BSNL dongle that's practically never down (even when I forgot to pay a bill once while being overseas).

The package itself is value for money, though Hathway support is iffy at best. All they ever say is 'restart your modem' or 'engineers at work, try after a few hours', but I'm yet to see competent customer service from any Indian Telco I've dealt with (BSNL, Idea, Reliance & Airtel).
Old 7th October 2014, 03:16   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
That is way too high what you are paying. Generally telco's don't inform or get you the new rate. We have to do it ourselves to get us changed to the new tariff plans. New tariff plans here http://www.airtel.in/broadband-and-f...adband/tarrifs
Thanks for the suggestion. I will study the new tariff plans.

I enquired around and did a bit of online research. I found that in general Airtel rates are costly but people stick with it because of good coverage, good connection reliability, and good customer service. I also feel cities other than Chennai have better speeds, cheaper rates, higher GBs, and more operators.

I also found that:
Hathway has good schemes but has no presence in Chennai
ACT has positive feedback but don't have coverage in my area
Tikona sounds good, but wiring will be a problem from rooftop to home since it is an apartment

I think wireless BB is inferior to wired BB.

For now, the research continues.
Old 20th October 2014, 14:33   #427
Senior - BHPian

Re posting as I got no response. What reliable ISP options exist in Cochin? My father uses bsnl. The failure rate is high and you have to run around to get it fixed.
Old 20th October 2014, 15:21   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post

But why is Upload speed so low? So it might take ages to upload photos and videos ? This i find is normal for ISP's like Airtel,BSNL,etc but not for Fiber optics providers like Beam, ACT, etc.

I use fiber Optics internet in Hyderabad, we get download and upload speed almost same 15 MBPS. This is for Rs 950/Month for 50GB limit.
Old 27th October 2014, 14:19   #429
BHPian

Currently at 12 MBPS on You Broadband, in Mumbai. Paying Rs.1500 for ~25GB
Old 27th October 2014, 14:27   #430
BHPian

Using Airtel 4G dongle in Pune. It's blazing fast! I am able to download 800 MB movie within 15-20 mins. Costs me 750 per month for 4GB data
Old 27th October 2014, 14:53   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Using Airtel 4G dongle in Pune. It's blazing fast! I am able to download 800 MB movie within 15-20 mins. Costs me 750 per month for 4GB data
You are absolutely spot on. Airtel 4G is good and reliable in Pune (touchwood). I get a consistent speed of 10Mbps with a actual download speed of 1.5 MBPS. I have the Rs. 2000 per month 40 GB download plan
Old 27th October 2014, 15:45   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Recently switched my Hathway service plan to 50 Mbps, 25 GB/month FUP for INR 916 monthly (including taxes).

The package itself is value for money, though Hathway support is iffy at best. All they ever say is 'restart your modem' or 'engineers at work, try after a few hours
I renewed Hathway 50 mbps 25GB plan on-line yesterday night for 2470 Rs for 3 months including tax, I think the 916 you quoted also includes the installation charges which won't be there in renewal.
Old 28th October 2014, 09:47   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post

That is really impressive. I read in the web that Airtel is throttling the 4G speeds (in the dongles, not sure about the home Wifi equipments) to only 10 Mbps. And, couple of my friends using the dongles confirmed the same. I am surprised to see such high 'unthrottled' speeds on the 4G Phones. Did you face any type of bandwidth throttling at any point in time?

Also, could you confirm if this speed is through the 4G Airtel network in your S5 (data mode) or through Wifi connection from the Airtel's home CPE device which supports Wifi. I am asking this because, in the image you had shared, I see only Wifi icon, but no 4G data icon.
Old 28th October 2014, 10:52   #434
BHPian

Does the Ping result (in ms) make any difference to the speed we get? I used to get 50-60ms before, but now after the new iOS update, I get ~150ms while testing speed on my iPhone.

The problem I'm facing is that downloading a media (pic or vid) on Whatsapp takes time, I mean the download doesn't even start! While the same happens quickly on 3G. I tried changing some router setting (from WEP to WPA2-PSK) and "Auto discover DNS server",
however that didn't help.

Even tried Google DNS servers, but no change. Anybody any clue/suggestion?

BTW, I'm on MTNL broadband, with Beetel 450TC1 wifi modem.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:11   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
That is really impressive. I read in the web that Airtel is throttling the 4G speeds (in the dongles, not sure about the home Wifi equipments) to only 10 Mbps. And, couple of my friends using the dongles confirmed the same. I am surprised to see such high 'unthrottled' speeds on the 4G Phones. Did you face any type of bandwidth throttling at any point in time?

Also, could you confirm if this speed is through the 4G Airtel network in your S5 (data mode) or through Wifi connection from the Airtel's home CPE device which supports Wifi. I am asking this because, in the image you had shared, I see only Wifi icon, but no 4G data icon.
Hi Voyager,
The speed is from my S5 with data mode and not through any WiFi.
I got the above speed only a few times. But on average I get around 30Mbps. The speed also varies based on the location and signal strength probably due to traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks