Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2014, 14:17   #436
BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
Hi Voyager,
The speed is from my S5 with data mode and not through any WiFi.
I got the above speed only a few times. But on average I get around 30Mbps. The speed also varies based on the location and signal strength probably due to traffic.
Thanks for your inputs. 30 Mbps on the average is great for India. Even though 3G is capable of up to 21 Mbps, in reality, I get a paltry 1 to 2 Mbps on Airtel in Bangalore, whereas in developed countries, the same 3G easily gives 15 to 20 Mbps easily. So, I am very pleased to know that Airtel doesn't throttle the bandwidth for phones and is giving 30 Mbps (theoretical maximum for LTE is 100 Mbps for a stationary user). I think this alone would be a good enough reason for me to upgrade my S4 to S5 LTE model.

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 28th October 2014 at 14:18.
Old 28th October 2014, 14:21   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
Thanks for your inputs. 30 Mbps on the average is great for India. Even though 3G is capable of up to 21 Mbps, in reality, I get a paltry 1 to 2 Mbps on Airtel in Bangalore, whereas in developed countries, the same 3G easily gives 15 to 20 Mbps easily. So, I am very pleased to know that Airtel doesn't throttle the bandwidth for phones and is giving 30 Mbps (theoretical maximum for LTE is 100 Mbps for a stationary user). I think this alone would be a good enough reason for me to upgrade my S4 to S5 LTE model.
A small warning before you upgrade. Even though the speed is good, the network coverage is not that great. Like inside a building the 4G signal is not great or to be precise not present. So you get a lot of dropped calls.
I feel even 3G suffers when inside a building.
Old 28th October 2014, 14:31   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
A small warning before you upgrade. Even though the speed is good, the network coverage is not that great. Like inside a building the 4G signal is not great or to be precise not present. So you get a lot of dropped calls.
I feel even 3G suffers when inside a building.
Thanks for the caution. Airtel has implemented CSFB (Circuit Switched Fall Back), where in 4G is used only for data and the voice calls are routed through 2G/3G based on what network is available. So, while browsing, when we receive a call, the connection would automatically switch to 2G/3G mode and 4G data connectivity is lost. I guess, this CSFB may be a reason for lot of dropped calls. The time to establish a call is also more with CSFB.

The 4G technology that Reliance is implementing is the true 4G (without CSFB) and the call drop issue should not be there. TRAI has also mandated All India Mobile Number Portability by 31-Mar-2015. So, if Airtel is not implementing the true 4G by next year, I would switch to Reliance 4G. One issue with Reliance is that, if 4G signal is not available, there is no 2G/3G option to fall back on (like how Airtel does now).
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:51   #439
BHPian

Hey guys,

need some advice. Moving to Thane(MH) after living in the states for a while. i was wondering if anyone could suggest some good broadband/cable internet providers here.

Thank you
Old 4th November 2014, 10:11   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post
Hey guys,

need some advice. Moving to Thane(MH) after living in the states for a while. i was wondering if anyone could suggest some good broadband/cable internet providers here.

Thank you
Which area of Thane? Go for 5net, if they provide connection in the area you are shifting. Else, go for Airtel if you don't download much.
Old 4th November 2014, 10:46   #441
BANNED

Mine is a 2Mbps DEN, only a couple of days ago my concessionaire switched from UTP to fibre. I now find it more stable.
Old 19th November 2014, 13:09   #442
BHPian

Any reviews of Tata Photon Max Wi-Fi, is it good wifi option to start with. How is the connectivity compared to 2G. I have BSNL 3G which is very bad in bangalore
Old 19th November 2014, 13:14   #443
BHPian

I have a local ISP called Sritel. I get 15 Mbps down and 15 Mbps up with no bandwidth caps. Works for me.
Old 19th November 2014, 13:15   #444
BHPian

I use ACT Fibernet, migrated last month from Airtel and getting a speed of 60 MBPS. My limit is 125 GB and I pay 2K, compared to what I had previously this is miles ahead. Would suggest it for anyone who has coverage with ACT.
Old 19th November 2014, 13:44   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
I use ACT Fibernet, migrated last month from Airtel and getting a speed of 60 MBPS. My limit is 125 GB and I pay 2K, compared to what I had previously this is miles ahead. Would suggest it for anyone who has coverage with ACT.
Question for you Prasanna - Is ACT an always on kind of internet like Airtel - implying, say you plug it in a wifi modem and leave it on 24hrs. And you do not need to log in each time you connect?
Old 19th November 2014, 13:48   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Question for you Prasanna - Is ACT an always on kind of internet like Airtel - implying, say you plug it in a wifi modem and leave it on 24hrs. And you do not need to log in each time you connect?
Hi Partyush,
ACT is actually a fiber network, hence you get a ethernet cable directly to your home. No modems required

Regarding your question on always on; yes, once you set your router with the required login and password, its always on. Mine is.

The only problem that I see is that their coverage is not very high, they are still expanding so you would have to check out whether they have any coverage in your area through their website. But installation is quite fast. I had mine done within 2 days of my enquiry.
Old 19th November 2014, 13:56   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasanna.vps View Post
Hi Partyush,
ACT is actually a fiber network, hence you get a ethernet cable directly to your home. No modems required

Regarding your question on always on; yes, once you set your router with the required login and password, its always on. Mine is.

The only problem that I see is that their coverage is not very high, they are still expanding so you would have to check out whether they have any coverage in your area through their website. But installation is quite fast. I had mine done within 2 days of my enquiry.
Thanks for that. I have ACT in my area but they seem too occupied when I gave them a call. In fact I asked the same question to them and they said, it is not always on. Plus, have had heard horror stories about their CC over here in Bangalore. Skeptical
Old 19th November 2014, 15:41   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Any reviews of Tata Photon Max Wi-Fi, is it good wifi option to start with. How is the connectivity compared to 2G. I have BSNL 3G which is very bad in bangalore
The 'Photon Max' (6.2 Mbps) coverage is limited to major cities, check their coverage before buying the dongle. In other cities, you will get only Photon Plus (3.1 Mbps) connectivity, which is still good. I use it and I have seen very good as well as bad connectivity within Bangalore and in Tamilnadu. Overall, I feel Max-wifi is better than a 3G dongle as we get pan-India connectivity without roaming charges. In case of 3G, only if your operator has bought license in a particular state, it will work and the roaming charges are very expensive.
Old 26th November 2014, 20:47   #449
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
The 'Photon Max' (6.2 Mbps) coverage is limited to major cities, check their coverage before buying the dongle. In other cities, you will get only Photon Plus (3.1 Mbps) connectivity, which is still good.
Has any one tried using Tata 'Photon Max' in Cars 12V socket as a wifi hub for devices in car while travelling.
Old 26th November 2014, 22:38   #450
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Go for 5net, if they provide connection in the area you are shifting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Shifted now from MTNL(2Mbps NU plan) to 5net,here is the plan Special New Year Offer Plan | Five Network Solution (India) Ltd,though the charges shown are Rs5999/- you need to add the local cablewallahs profit and wiring stuff which came around Rs9000/- for me,at some areas it is even cheaper or costing a bit more.
How is this 5 Net Broadband? Planning to install it at my home in Malad. Do they actually provide the speeds as claimed? Was planning to go for 1mbps 6 month connection for 3.7k or 2mbps 6 months for 5.3k. Hope there are no issues during the rains & or with their service.
Installation would cost 1.1k .
They also provide free router if one opts for the yearly scheme.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks