Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2014, 15:25   #496
BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

FiveNetwork
1Mbps, unlimited (incl DC++), 1800/3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Hathway Internet.
50Mbps, 50GB/month, 3370/3 months.
Thats a really sweet deal!
Old 22nd December 2014, 01:40   #497
Senior - BHPian

After a long time using Idea netsetter, MTS etc finally got Asianet prepaid FTTH connection recently. I had BSNL BB till 2011 or so but after a cable fault, they cannot provide BB at my premise. This is because as per a court rule, they cannot dug Muvattupuzha-Thodupuzha state highway (PM road).

Asianet FTTH is quiet expensive at Rs5000 for establishing the connection. EPON ONU(Optical Network Unit) costs Rs3700 and rest is their fitting charges. Connection is provided off Asianet FTTH by a franchisee here. I've opted for Rs900 plan which offers 4mbps speed and 20GB data limit. There's a 898 plan which offers 2mbps till 20GB and 512kbps after FUP limit. I was looking at the FTTH plans in big cities and elsewhere in India and it is obvious that we're charged quiet high compared to other cities.

Asianet provides a static IP. Don't know whether it's a boon or bane. There are disconnections at 1PM-1.20PM time for 25minutes or so these days as they claim Metro works at Kochi is disrupting their services. Don't know the truth.
EDIT: I forgot to put another info. Like Asianet cable internet, For the first time when you launch browser, you're redirected to Asianet web authentification page where you've to enter username and password and select Internet service. Even in router with pppoe mode, cannot automate this procedure. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by deepclutch : 22nd December 2014 at 01:44.
Old 22nd December 2014, 03:28   #498
BHPian

@deepclutch,
This might help you
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...utologin&hl=en

Description
Update 18/8/2013 - Release of v1.5
- Fixed UI crash
- Asianet seems to be changing the login URL from time to time. The app handles that now.
----------------------
Use your Asianet DataLine internet connection without any hassles on ALL devices and not worry about logging in every time. This application allows you to keep your internet connection alive using your Android device which is connected to a wireless network, which in-turn is connected to your Asianet DataLine cable modem.
Enter your credentials and press Login. The app logs into your Asianet account and keeps your internet connection alive as long as you are connected to your wireless network. It also handles the case where you restart the phone / disconnect from WiFi / connect to another network.
Requirements
1. Asianet DataLine internet connection
2. WiFi router
3. Your device
This application is open source software. You can find the code here : https://github.com/riddimon/asianet-autologin

Last edited by saurabh159 : 22nd December 2014 at 03:43.
Old 22nd December 2014, 12:58   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post

Asianet provides a static IP. Don't know whether it's a boon or bane. There are disconnections at 1PM-1.20PM time for 25minutes or so these days as they claim Metro works at Kochi is disrupting their services. Don't know the truth.
EDIT: I forgot to put another info. Like Asianet cable internet, For the first time when you launch browser, you're redirected to Asianet web authentification page where you've to enter username and password and select Internet service. Even in router with pppoe mode, cannot automate this procedure. Any help is appreciated.
If you have a static ip then this is not required. I am on their 50mbps plan and took static ip [Rs.2000 or so per year] just to get myself rid of that annoying login procedure. Along with that they also had a twenty minute inactive logoff window as well. Irritating.

So check if you do in fact have a static ip. If yes call up asianet customer care and ask them to waive off the log in procedure.
Old 22nd December 2014, 16:03   #500
BHPian

My ISP be weird. 25 mbps connection from Speed Air.

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-screen-shot-20141222-4.01.41-pm.png
Old 24th December 2014, 00:17   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
If you have a static ip then this is not required. I am on their 50mbps plan and took static ip [Rs.2000 or so per year] just to get myself rid of that annoying login procedure. Along with that they also had a twenty minute inactive logoff window as well. Irritating.

So check if you do in fact have a static ip. If yes call up asianet customer care and ask them to waive off the log in procedure.
I haven't asked for static IP. They offer only prepaid internet here. I will call them whether they can shift my connection to a dynamic IP one.
Old 24th December 2014, 09:54   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I haven't asked for static IP. They offer only prepaid internet here. I will call them whether they can shift my connection to a dynamic IP one.
What i meant to say was that by default asianet gives dynamic ip i think and which makes you have to log in every time.

Static ips are given on customer request after submitting a formal request with a network diagram [] and a fee of Rs.2000 or so for a year. Once static ip is activated you no longer have to go through the log in procedure.
Old 24th December 2014, 12:38   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What i meant to say was that by default asianet gives dynamic ip i think and which makes you have to log in every time.

Static ips are given on customer request after submitting a formal request with a network diagram [] and a fee of Rs.2000 or so for a year. Once static ip is activated you no longer have to go through the log in procedure.
The connection is given by a Franchisee of asianet. They don't charge Rs2000 for static IP and asianet procedure is not applicable here, I think. Regarding login to asianet for authentication, I have asked cable operator to enquire whether it can be skipped for his network (all subscribers have static IP). I personally would choose dynamic IP over a static IP unless I am into hosting services etc and some privacy factors also.

Here, Asianet gives static IP for every FTTH connection outside own-network. May be because of lack of IP range available. In my work place (Kakkanad, Kochi), they have a 10mbps asianet cable internet connection for back up, most of the time it is not working because IP is not assigned and the router waits eternally for IP. What I heard is, other users have to wait till some one logged off from the connection freeing IP. So, that may be why, they are giving static IP for Outside own-network users.

This particular Asianet franchisee network(FTTH) where I have got the connection is shifting to "Kerala vision" network offering up to 50mbps speed in next few months. Whether it is for good or bad is the question. http://www.kccl.tv/

Also, Reliance JIO FTTH going to be available soon?

Last edited by deepclutch : 24th December 2014 at 12:41.
Old 26th December 2014, 16:58   #504
Senior - BHPian

@deathwalkr: I did a small research on the login process of asianet ftth. I mistook a private network IP as static! You are given a class B private IP address, subnet mask and gateway IP address which needs to be configured on your router or Desktop. Also,a username and password is given. So, for the first time when you open the browser, class-A ip is shown (1.xxx.xxx.xxx) which immediately redirects to the login authentication page where you've to enter username and password, after which you are allowed to access internet. The external IP assigned seems to be the same for a day afterwards it is renewed (possibly). So, no static IP address for me.

Last edited by deepclutch : 26th December 2014 at 17:05.
Old 30th December 2014, 12:07   #505
Senior - BHPian

@deepclutch: So did you ask them if the login procedure could be avoided if you do take a static ip?

Well after upgrading from 20mbps to 50mbps last month, my bandwidth was stuck at 20mbps and repeated calls to customer care bore no fruit. Called up the nodal officer who arranged for a site visit and today my bandwidth is at 37mbps download [speedtest.net].

He called up and asked me to update him after 2 days if speed goes upto 40mbps at least.

Happy
Old 30th December 2014, 12:19   #506
Team-BHP Support

Does ACT broadband or Airtel give IPv6 option? That way I can get static address easily.
Old 30th December 2014, 20:50   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@deepclutch: So did you ask them if the login procedure could be avoided if you do take a static ip?

Well after upgrading from 20mbps to 50mbps last month, my bandwidth was stuck at 20mbps and repeated calls to customer care bore no fruit. Called up the nodal officer who arranged for a site visit and today my bandwidth is at 37mbps download [speedtest.net].

He called up and asked me to update him after 2 days if speed goes upto 40mbps at least.

Happy
They cannot remove this login system at this time. You may read my earlier post. I've no static IP. The assigned external IP changes every 24hrs. Connection works fine. Only the high cost of ONU is the problem.
Old 3rd January 2015, 23:23   #508
Senior - BHPian

I have MTNL trib999 1mbps broadband connection. But from past few days, my connection's speed is around 200-400 kbps only. I registered a complaint couple of days back with them but the problem hasn't resolved yet.

What could be the reason for slow speed? Never experienced this kind of problem from MTNL internet since last 8 years!
Old 3rd January 2015, 23:34   #509
BHPian

Hey folks!

I just got my ACT Broadband connection setup. However, I need some assistance in getting connected using my username/password and setting up my modem-router to connect to the network.

Does anyone here have any idea how to configure an ADSL modem/router to work with ACT Broadband? I looked up on the internet, and it seems that modem cum routers might not work. Only Wi-Fi routers are going to work with ACT.

If someone can shed some light on this topic, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking. Cheers!
Old 3rd January 2015, 23:50   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hey folks!

I just got my ACT Broadband connection setup. However, I need some assistance in getting connected using my username/password and setting up my modem-router to connect to the network.

Does anyone here have any idea how to configure an ADSL modem/router to work with ACT Broadband? I looked up on the internet, and it seems that modem cum routers might not work. Only Wi-Fi routers are going to work with ACT.

If someone can shed some light on this topic, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking. Cheers!
As for the setup, I should be able to help.

The main fiber cable goes into the Modem. Then, from the modem, you will get a Ethernet cable that will go into the WAN port of the router.

You can then use the WiFi or the LAN by extending an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports of the router to your system to enjoy your high speed internet.

As for the Username and Password, Hathway gets me to enter it in a special page. I am not quite sure how ACT works in that respect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks