Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2015, 10:51   #511
BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
As for the setup, I should be able to help.

The main fiber cable goes into the Modem. Then, from the modem, you will get a Ethernet cable that will go into the WAN port of the router.

You can then use the WiFi or the LAN by extending an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN ports of the router to your system to enjoy your high speed internet.

As for the Username and Password, Hathway gets me to enter it in a special page. I am not quite sure how ACT works in that respect.
Thanks mate.

I stayed up till 2 AM last night trying to figure this out, and was able to configure it all through the router.

Just had to change the WAN Preference to Must Use Ethernet WAN instead of Must use DSL WAN. Entered the username/password in PPPoE, and rebooted.

Et voila! DHCP was up and running after the router rebooted. Getting 60-65Mbps download and around 75Mbps upload

Saying good bye to Airtel as I type this. Useless morons. I gave them an opportunity to change my plan, but they refused outright stating that higher speeds are not possible in my area.
Old 4th January 2015, 10:58   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Et voila! DHCP was up and running after the router rebooted. Getting 60-65Mbps download and around 75Mbps upload
60-65Mbps!

Awesome!

Hathway isn't always on, unfortunately. You need to login every time you need to use it. And they don't have a way to do away with this dinosaur practice.
Old 4th January 2015, 11:37   #513
BHPian

Quote:
60-65Mbps!

Awesome!

Hathway isn't always on, unfortunately. You need to login every time you need to use it. And they don't have a way to do away with this dinosaur practice.

Here you go mate. Things don't get any better on a Sunday morning!

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-speed.png
Old 4th January 2015, 11:39   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Hathway Internet.

50Mbps, 50GB/month, 3370/3 months. After enduring a 2Mbps BSNL Connection for 8 years.
Happy days, happy days!
Awesome! I have Airtel at 2mbps and Youbroadband at 12mbps. Youbroadband works about 40-45 days max over a 3 month recharge period. They really suck but the days it works, it is brilliant.

Quote:

Saying good bye to Airtel as I type this. Useless morons. I gave them an opportunity to change my plan, but they refused outright stating that higher speeds are not possible in my area.

I would wait for a month or two before disconnecting Airtel. Test the reliability of your new BB before dropping your workhorse! I had good days with Youbroadband for the first two weeks but after that it seems to work only every other day. I have had straight downtime of 5 days a couple of times. Not saying this can happen to you but just a word of caution based on my experience. As a result I have two BB connections at home. Airtel with zero downtime but only 2mbps and Youbroadband with 50% downtime at 12mbps when it works ��

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th January 2015 at 00:21. Reason: Please use multi quote option instead of making back to back posts, thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 12:40   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1323972
Ping of 0ms!

Advantage of ACT is, the uploads are not counted in the FUP and I like seeding back my torrents!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Awesome! I have Airtel at 2mbps and Youbroadband at 12mbps. Youbroadband works about 40-45 days max over a 3 month recharge period. They really suck but the days it works, it is brilliant.
I considered YOU as well. But somehow, felt the Hathway plan was better. A friend uses YOU, he is quite happy with their service.
Old 4th January 2015, 12:41   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I would wait for a month or two before disconnecting Airtel. Test the reliability of your new BB before dropping your workhorse!... As a result I have two BB connections at home. Airtel with zero downtime but only 2mbps and Youbroadband with 50% downtime at 12mbps when it works ��
Way ahead of you mate

I've got a BSNL broadband as backup, 4Mbps with 20GB FUP, since the past 12 months. Have never trusted Failtel. Plus, 3G on 2 cell phones at home.

Besides, we all know how big a scam artist Failtel can be. Asking them to disconnect an existing connection that used to net them nearly 30k a year, is like asking Indians to stop pee-ing in public! Never gonna happen .

Nevermind though, I'm happy for now. Lets see how ACT performs over the coming weeks and months. I've already received 3 calls from Airtel regarding disconnection and changing plans and all such crap. Gave each of the callers an earful!

Last edited by sourav9385 : 4th January 2015 at 12:43.
Old 4th January 2015, 14:53   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Way ahead of you mate

I've already received 3 calls from Airtel regarding disconnection and changing plans and all such crap. Gave each of the callers an earful!
You need to tell them that you are shifting abroad. They will disconnect it promptly. That's what I did 2 years back and went back to them now as BSNL at 8mbps was costing me 3300 a month... Couldn't afford it anymore. In my second innings with Airtel I was offered 2mbps with 40gb FUP for 999 a month. So I am on that now.
Old 4th January 2015, 22:54   #518
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried Tata Broadband (wired)?

Their 1 Mbps plan through CAT5/6 cable, is around 1200 Rs. per month.
Old 5th January 2015, 12:23   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Way ahead of you mate

I've got a BSNL broadband as backup, 4Mbps with 20GB FUP, since the past 12 months. Have never trusted Failtel. Plus, 3G on 2 cell phones at home.
I live in Thiruvanmiyur as well and in my desperation to get a BB in the area, I got Airtel Wi-Fi without much research. Though I have not experienced any downtime/slowness, I feel cheated when comparing rates with Act Broadband.

I will have to use it for at least 6 months to recover the cost of the Wi-Fi modem. Post which I am planning to downgrade to lowest possible plan with a decent bandwidth and switch over to ACT.

Will want your inputs as you continue to use ACT BB. Hope you can do that in this forum

That is some very envying numbers you have there in the screenshot. Hoping to join the club soon.
Old 5th January 2015, 12:56   #520
BHPian

Any reviews on Spectranet?

I am thinking of changing my ISP from my existing Airtel connection. It's an 8 Mbps/80 GB plan but the speeds are rarely near it.
What are the other options I can look at so that I can get speeds close to what the folks in Chennai and Bangalore get?
Old 13th January 2015, 20:57   #521
Senior - BHPian

Finally managed to get Spectranet at my apartment. So far it looks good. For now it will be a backup for my Airtel connection. If it remains solid as now, I will disconnect Airtel. The current plan is 72 GB with 20/10 mbps speed.

Btw, does anybody know how to check the data usage for spectranet and also to change password?

Last edited by vasoo : 13th January 2015 at 21:03.
Old 13th January 2015, 23:48   #522
BHPian

Go to my.spectranet.in and login with username and password. If you have received their modem. . You would have undertaken a MAC bonding process
Old 14th January 2015, 11:24   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1323972
That ping makes me cry :(

My asianet gives me pings at 200-300ms
Old 14th January 2015, 12:08   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
That ping makes me cry :(

My asianet gives me pings at 200-300ms
Should be a cable issue. I am getting value between 10-25ms. I believe we are on the same plan. Xpress 2499?

Last edited by RobC : 14th January 2015 at 12:09. Reason: Adding one line
Old 14th January 2015, 14:01   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Any reviews on Spectranet?

I am thinking of changing my ISP from my existing Airtel connection. It's an 8 Mbps/80 GB plan but the speeds are rarely near it.
What are the other options I can look at so that I can get speeds close to what the folks in Chennai and Bangalore get?
That's a problem in Delhi. Even I was looking for some ISP which gives speeds >8Mbps. Is it something to do with license? Because I can see all these dedicated ISP's (YOU, Tikona, Spectranet, etc.) operating out of Gurgaon, Faridabad, Ghaziabad, but not Delhi. They have really attractive speed/packages which I would want to have.

So have to settle for Airtel/MTNL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks