Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2015, 12:01   #736
BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Speed as tested: 67mbps, 1mbps after FUP
Plan: 50mbps for 25GB, 1mbps thereafter
ISP: Hathway
Cost: 1250 per month
My usage is below 25GB on most days even after downloading movies and TV shows. However, Skype takes a lot of data, almost 1.5GB in a day.

I just read the first few pages of this thread. It is amazing how much internet speeds and tariffs have changed over the years! I remember starting with 256kbps many years ago and then went from 512kbps and then to 1mbps. I think the switch between 1mbps to almost 67mbps was too much to handle; exhausted my FUP in 5 days.
Old 1st November 2015, 13:49   #737
BHPian

Forget that, I remember using a zyxel modem which was rated at 56kbps, and using the student account with vsnl. It used to make this screeching sound everytime it connected. And even then you were not assured if it would work or not.
Old 4th November 2015, 17:21   #738
BHPian

As an update, I requested termination of my Airtel broadband as I have moved onto fiber and on a 12Mbps plan on which I get 20Mbps with almost no downtime. Airtel was only giving me 2Mbps. My Airtel plan had a FUP of 40Gb and they called me today offering me to raise it to 100Gb, but I declined it as 2Mbps is still useless. I plan on moving my fiber speed to 100Mbps with the money that I save on Airtel...
I also managed to wrangle a voice only plan which their website claims is not for Chennai - they were happy to retain me on the voice only plan (Voice 350), rather than let a customer entirely exit...
Old 4th November 2015, 17:30   #739
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I need some feedback on G Broadband. Their plans seem to be pretty good on paper - akin to ACT. Not sure of their service and up times. Anyone using it in Bangalore?
Old 8th November 2015, 17:51   #740
BHPian

An update on my Cherrinet 100Mbps connection. Installation was done as promised on the day after collecting my forms. About 6-7 folks came over with the ladder and a van and quickly wired up the Internet and I was connected instantly. However the speed was about 60Mbps wired and between 20-40 wireless. I left town the next day so haven't got to play with it much. However noticed that it is changing ip every 10-15 mins. Not sure why. I have my security cam connected to it and every time it's IP changes it emails me the new URL and I am getting emails every 15 mins or so. My son also said that in the one game he tried on the PS3 online he noticed it wasn't getting online. Pings were about 15ms. It also blocks certain torrent sites which were open on Youbroadband. Will return to chennai in a few days and follow up for the promised speed of atleast 90Mbps!!
Old 12th November 2015, 17:37   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
An update on my Cherrinet 100Mbps connection. Installation was done as promised on the day after collecting my forms. About 6-7 folks came over with the ladder and a van and quickly wired up the Internet and I was connected instantly. However the speed was about 60Mbps wired and between 20-40 wireless. I left town the next day so haven't got to play with it much. However noticed that it is changing ip every 10-15 mins. Not sure why. I have my security cam connected to it and every time it's IP changes it emails me the new URL and I am getting emails every 15 mins or so. My son also said that in the one game he tried on the PS3 online he noticed it wasn't getting online. Pings were about 15ms. It also blocks certain torrent sites which were open on Youbroadband. Will return to chennai in a few days and follow up for the promised speed of atleast 90Mbps!!
You can setup no-ip client or dydns client on your router and set the IP camera to listen on that domain name of no-ip.

Which security cam are you using? I am planning to setup one at my home and just started searching re it and lucky me I saw your post.
Old 12th November 2015, 19:39   #742
BHPian

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Which security cam are you using?
Am using foscam wireless, it has PT and night vision etc but pic quality not that great. It is an indoor cam but am using it outdoor in a sheltered location. It is 5 years old though!
I did have no-ip but recently changed my router and have to reconfigure it... My concern is what impact will the changing ips have on online games etc
I don't play but my 11 year old is permitted during holidays and reward time!

Last edited by diyguy : 12th November 2015 at 19:41.
Old 13th November 2015, 21:09   #743
BHPian

I really Envy you Guys in Bangalore & chennai. Here in Delhi, I did the mistake of hooking up to useless tikona 4MBps .Needless to say it was night mare from day one. finally raised a request for disconnection and stopped paying bills. Now after 2 months, I am ready to settle bills after they has send me a written communication that this is final bill but here also, they are only interested in extracting money.

even disconnection is a struggle.Not to mention their incessant recorded calls thrice a day.So finally started to add them to blocked list but clever guys daily call from different numbers. Any one looking for their numbers, I can help with at least 30+ different numbers .
Old 17th November 2015, 10:59   #744
BHPian

Speedtest today with Cherrinet after their team visited my house and a call to their NOC

However am sure it will not remain at these speeds and will fall back to the measly 18-20Mbps

Last edited by diyguy : 17th November 2015 at 11:04.
Old 17th November 2015, 13:17   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Speedtest today with Cherrinet after their team visited my house and a call to their NOC

However am sure it will not remain at these speeds and will fall back to the measly 18-20Mbps
Given that its a fiber, we should expect around the 90s. On ACT I get around 93- 94 when I checked yesterday. Earlier when I was promised 60, I used to get 60 anytime of the day. So if there is a significant drop, I think we should demand it!!
Old 17th November 2015, 14:09   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
So if there is a significant drop, I think we should demand it!!
I totally agree, or I want my money back. I am migrating from Youbroadband to Cherrinet only for the 100Mbps and if i dont get the promised speed, I dont see the value. I will keep raising service requests anytime I see it fall below 60 or so..
Old 21st November 2015, 09:24   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, I need some feedback on G Broadband. Their plans seem to be pretty good on paper - akin to ACT. Not sure of their service and up times. Anyone using it in Bangalore?
Just noticed this question. I am using their service for the past 1 month. No niggles. I stay in Kasavanahalli and their office is nearby. I had 2 outages - both were because of power cut. I find it reliable.
Old 24th November 2015, 22:29   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Just noticed this question. I am using their service for the past 1 month. No niggles. I stay in Kasavanahalli and their office is nearby. I had 2 outages - both were because of power cut. I find it reliable.
Thanks for the inputs. Hope the speeds are as advertised too.
Old 24th November 2015, 23:53   #749
BHPian

100 Mbps speeds with 200 GB FUP !!! Guys, do we have any similar ISP broadband service in Kolkata ? If yes, pls specify. I'm still on the pre-jurassic 2 Mbps 10 GB Airtel broadband plan
Old 25th November 2015, 20:24   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv_cal View Post
100 Mbps speeds with 200 GB FUP !!! Guys, do we have any similar ISP broadband service in Kolkata ? If yes, pls specify. I'm still on the pre-jurassic 2 Mbps 10 GB Airtel broadband plan
How much do you guys pay for a 100 Mbps connection? Dang, I'm currently on a 1mbps my life connection and was looking at a 4mbps connection for about 1000 rs monthly. Does anyone know of any ISP offering these speeds in Bombay?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks