Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 09:10   #751
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

My friend has been having a speed problem with his Hathway cable internet connection & I was using speedtest.net to check his speed. Speedtest is totally useless with Hathway. Even when text pages were barely loading, speedtest.net was showing the speed at 3.9 Mbps. Both from browser on Windows & the android app. I think Hathway must have optimised the connection to Speedtest by some direct line or something. I tried others and they were showing the right speed which was around 0.5 Mbps.

Out of all the different tests I used - but this seems to be the most reliable - http://testmy.net/

Last edited by carboy : 4th December 2015 at 09:18.
Old 6th December 2015, 15:55   #752
Distinguished - BHPian

Any one using BSNL's FTTH ?
I wanted info on the type of device that is provided at the customer end ..
Old 7th December 2015, 08:54   #753
BHPian

FYI, I have both Cherrinet and Youbroadband at home. The difference between the two models is that Youbroadband allows you to utilize your 3 month prepaid download limit in one shot, while Cherrinet enforces the monthly limit. So if you finish your monthly quota, you will be FUP'ed for the rest of the month and it will be reset at start of next month.
My today's speedtest after restoration of FUP over wifi - never had this speed over wifi

Last edited by diyguy : 7th December 2015 at 08:56.
Old 8th December 2015, 00:42   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My friend has been having a speed problem with his Hathway cable internet connection & I was using speedtest.net to check his speed. Speedtest is totally useless with Hathway. Even when text pages were barely loading, speedtest.net was showing the speed at 3.9 Mbps. Both from browser on Windows & the android app. I think Hathway must have optimised the connection to Speedtest by some direct line or something. I tried others and they were showing the right speed which was around 0.5 Mbps.

Out of all the different tests I used - but this seems to be the most reliable - http://testmy.net/
Carboy.
Hi. I have been using Hathway for more that 2 years.
Speedtest used to show a download speed of around 37/40 MBPS.
Since the last few days I have noticed that it has slowed down so before I logged onto TBHP I checked and the speed at different times was between 3 and 7 MBPS.
When I checked on testmy.net a few minutes before it showed a speed below MBPS. I am paying for 50 MBPS(37/40 as I use a wireless router) and I get below 10.
As I use the internet only for surfing wasnt too bothered but now I will definitely keep a check. Very curious to know how can the 2 sites be so different. Any idea?
Regards
PS: Any choice other than Hathway? I have monthly 10 GB FUP and pay rs 2277 for 3 months.
Old 8th December 2015, 02:34   #755
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
As I use the internet only for surfing wasnt too bothered but now I will definitely keep a check. Very curious to know how can the 2 sites be so different. Any idea?
I think some ISPs optimise their connection to speedtest.net because it's the most popular speedtest used by people.

My friend does not have too many other alternatives and had hence gone for Hathway. But last week was miserable for him. He got only 0.5 Mbps instead of 4 Mbps 5 days last week. This week is better - it's around 2-3 Mbps which is good enough for him. But last week's experience was terrible for him and he doesn't have too many options. His bldg isn't wired for Airtel Broadband. Airtel came for a 4G demo but that also didn't work inside the house. Airtel has another option where they fit a box outside your window & connect it to a Wifi modem inside your home. They are going to do a demo for him this week. It's very expensive though - Rs 1000 per month for 10 GB FUP, Rs. 2000 per month for 30 GB FUP & 4000 per month for 100 GB FUP. And speed is supposed to be around 10 Mbps. And 2500 Rs installation/box/wifi modem charge.

Last edited by carboy : 8th December 2015 at 02:37.
Old 8th December 2015, 08:35   #756
BHPian

With Hathway & Speedtest : I am amazed at others are finding this now. Something is definitely wrong. I typically test the speed when connected through LAN and almost invariably shows a D/L speed of 50Mbps+, however it's the upload speed which is barely 4 Mbps which is a concern.

Edit: I just checked in right now - Speed Test shows a 43Mbps DL and 3Mbps UL Speed, While some other website showed a 1.2Mbps DL and 0.41 Mbps UL.. I must say the difference is stark!

Hathway is just a dishonest company. I would rate Airtel as probably the best I have used so far. My place has BSNL FTTH as well, but the FUP is so terribly low that I would hit the cap on Day 1. So I am stuck with Hathway.
Old 8th December 2015, 10:57   #757
BHPian

AirTel 50 mbps with 62 GB FUP. Post FUP its 1 mbps, which kills it.

This is in Chennai.
Old 8th December 2015, 12:11   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
AirTel 50 mbps with 62 GB FUP. Post FUP its 1 mbps, which kills it.

This is in Chennai.
Had a similar plan in Bangy, 50Mbps (in my dreams) , 75GB, 1Mpbs post FUP 1500 odd. Changes to 50Mbps, 30GB FUP, 512Kbps post FUP. My downloads are pretty less, and I rarely end up using my FUP. Most of my usage is Skype & You Tube.
Old 11th December 2015, 13:17   #759
BANNED

Has anyone here used Worldnet broadband - http://wnet.net.in/?

How is the speed, reliability and customer service?
Old 17th December 2015, 09:26   #760
BHPian

I've been on Airtel Broadband in South Bangalore for the last 2.5 years. Reliability and advertised speed have been exemplary, but the problems are limited speed (max of 8 mbps), high cost, and FUP. SpectraNet is available, but not sure of their reliability. If I get even 60% of advertised speeds, I don't care, but reliability is a big concern. I would pay less to SpectraNet for a higher speed and unlimited FUP.

Grateful for feedback. Thanks.
Old 19th December 2015, 00:53   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I think some ISPs optimise their connection to speedtest.net because it's the most popular speedtest used by people.

My friend does not have too many other alternatives and had hence gone for Hathway. But last week was miserable for him. He got only 0.5 Mbps instead of 4 Mbps 5 days last week. This week is better - it's around 2-3 Mbps which is good enough for him. But last week's experience was terrible for him and he doesn't have too many options. His bldg isn't wired for Airtel Broadband. Airtel came for a 4G demo but that also didn't work inside the house. Airtel has another option where they fit a box outside your window & connect it to a Wifi modem inside your home. They are going to do a demo for him this week. It's very expensive though - Rs 1000 per month for 10 GB FUP, Rs. 2000 per month for 30 GB FUP & 4000 per month for 100 GB FUP. And speed is supposed to be around 10 Mbps. And 2500 Rs installation/box/wifi modem charge.
Carboy.
Hi
I kept a check and found their speed between 4 and 5 MBPS.
Called their billings person and he mentioned that they have some issues which are being sorted out.
A minute back checked on speedtest. It is 40.8 and 4.19 upload.
Testmy shows 4 and 2.6 upload.
Curious to know. Earlier the white dot used to show near my residence(Mahim) and towards south(lower Parel). Now it shows South West seems to be in Pune. Not very sure but earlier I used to click on the white dot I used to see Hathway and now I am seeing You, BSNL and Tata. Wonder what it means.
Regards
Old 20th December 2015, 11:23   #762
BHPian

Hi everyone, I strongly suggest anyone using ACT Broadband to check their internet speed on other websites.

Years ago when I used BSNL, I was told 2wire.com to was a 'neutral site' to check speeds for most websites.

So I've tried numerous times over the past week and found my 30Mbps connection to be giving only 1 Mbps actual speed (thats 126kbps download speed).

Youtube & torrents DO download faster, yet, past 6 months I'm baffled at how my internet usage jumps even though I don't download much. I use ACT Blaze 30Mbps with 75GB FUP, and my usage has already crossed 60GB. I've only barely downloaded 4-5 movies of 700-1.2GB each.

A year back, they used to provide a daily usage list. So, I used to keep a decent check. Now they only provide total usage.

Apart from this I've often faced serious issues with waiting for & dealing with their customer service personnel.

When I thought of complaining on Twitter, their official page led me to an account that makes a mockery out of customers & openly says customers who have problems should go to others.

Agreed they've got some sort of monopoly in our area, but instead of leveraging to use it for investment valuation & growing their business, they're hitting back at customers!

Since their internet connection is unreliable, I've often requested that they may charge us a few '00 more and ensure reliability.

I believe its a company run by with the help of a bunch of goons who've put up their wires all over the city with political support !

I think we ACT customers have given our internet switch in the wrong hands!
Old 20th December 2015, 12:05   #763
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Hi everyone, I strongly suggest anyone using ACT Broadband to check their internet speed on other websites.

Years ago when I used BSNL, I was told 2wire.com to was a 'neutral site' to check speeds for most websites.

So I've tried numerous times over the past week and found my 30Mbps connection to be giving only 1 Mbps actual speed (thats 126kbps download speed).
I think you must first understand the meaning of broadband speed. It only refers to the pipe from your home to your ISP, which is also shared among your neighbors who use the same ISP.

The pipe from your ISP to the website you are connecting is not in the control of your ISP. They only control the pipe from your home to their router. That's it.

When a ISP recommends a speed testing site, they will suggest a server hosted within their company, so that you can see the performance of the pipe you have bought. ACT generally recommends Atria Convergence Technologies server, because it is their server. That is how you can see the max performance of your pipe. If you want to see the performance with other countries, pick a server from that country, and you will get a fairly accurate performance you can get to that country. It has nothing to do with your pipe to the ISP, which only applies upper limit.

Now why do I keep saying performance instead of speed? You mentioned Mbps as speed, which it isn't. Mbps is how many mega bytes per secs, it refers to throughput and not speed. 10Mbps is not necessarily faster than 1Mbps. Confused?

Take city traffic, which is more representative of Internet traffic. A bus can carry 60 passengers from point A to point B in 1 minute in city traffic. A motorcycle can carry 2 people from point A to point B in same 30 seconds in the same traffic because they can weave through it.

Bus carried 60 people in 60 seconds from A to B = 60P/60sec = 1pps
Bike carried 2 people in 30 seconds from A to B = 2P/30sec = 0.0667pps

Bus although moved at half the speed of the bike, can carry 15 times more people (1/0.0667) in the same time.

When you look at Mbps you are really talking about volume/sec (throughput) and not distance/sec (speed). For speed look at ping value, which is in milliseconds.

Regarding BSNL guy recommending a neutral site, he has no clue what he is saying. There is nothing like that. It was probably hosted in BSNL, giving best performance values for BSNL customers and bad performance values for other ISPs.

Last edited by Samurai : 20th December 2015 at 12:23. Reason: typo
Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2015, 12:37   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I think you must first understand the meaning of broadband speed. It only refers to the pipe from your home to your ISP, which is also shared among your neighbors who use the same ISP.
Nice to know that! Thought I was somewhat conned! Whew, Much thanks Samurai
Old 22nd December 2015, 22:25   #765
BHPian

2wire is reporting my ACT connection has a "download" speed of 956 Kbps. While a torrent is current downloading at 8.8 Mbps. I think I'll stick to speedtest.net !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks