Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2016, 14:33   #811
Senior - BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Shifted house in Bangalore and it is a hassle getting the ACT connection from Koramangala to Electronic City. It has been 5 days and the guy told me that they have "feasibility" but that he will take power from my house. Even apartment association is ok with it but the guy is not turning up to get the work done. I do not want to move to G Broadband since I find ACT offers much better and am a tried and tested customer. Their speeds are very, very consistent and I have hardly had any issues with their connection.

Anyone have a contact in ACT Fibernet in Electronic City to get this moving along?

Last edited by naveenroy : 11th May 2016 at 14:34. Reason: Added info
Old 11th May 2016, 14:45   #812
BHPian

Re: ACT Fibernet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Check your router settings page. We can enter the credentials in the router so that it will log in automatically when it connects to the internet.
I did think of this, and asked the ACT Technician at the time of installation. But he insisted the username & password should not be saved in the router settings.

Any reason why they would insist so?
Old 11th May 2016, 14:57   #813
BHPian

I think the ACT technician doesnt know this stuff. I have G broadband and I have configured the credentials in router and its been working fine. Just google for your router name and you should be able to do it on your own.
Old 11th May 2016, 15:04   #814
Senior - BHPian

Re: ACT Fibernet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
I did think of this, and asked the ACT Technician at the time of installation. But he insisted the username & password should not be saved in the router settings.

Any reason why they would insist so?
Look for PPoE settings in your router information and you should be able to set it up. I have done it on my ACT connection and works fine.
Old 11th May 2016, 15:08   #815
BHPian

Quote:
I think the ACT technician doesnt know this stuff. I have G broadband and I have configured the credentials in router and its been working fine. Just google for your router name and you should be able to do it on your own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Look for PPoE settings in your router information and you should be able to set it up. I have done it on my ACT connection and works fine.
Thanks guys! I'm aware of how to configure the details in the PPoE settings, but didn't do it myself as the technician advised against it.

Will do it now and see what goes wrong.
Old 12th May 2016, 13:25   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
Thanks guys! I'm aware of how to configure the details in the PPoE settings, but didn't do it myself as the technician advised against it.

Will do it now and see what goes wrong.
My friend also was told the same by the technician. Nonetheless he went ahead with it and is not facing any problem.
Old 16th May 2016, 23:29   #817

I am looking for recommendation in a stable internet connection. I stay in west Delhi area and was a loyal customer of mtnl for 10 years. Around year and a half already gone, I have been using tikona after that.
This is the time when tikona has made my life miserable and hence I would like to change this isp. Can anyone recommend a better service provider please ?

Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 12:13   #818
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the ACT connection at Electronic City. Back to my favourite ISP. Happy, happy!
Old 17th May 2016, 14:18   #819
BHPian

So, naveenroy, is ACT really good? No downtime, no slowdowns, no over billing etc. ? Some time back people were upset with them over downtime / interruptions.
Old 17th May 2016, 15:19   #820
BHPian

I checked the tariffs for ACT. Looks like after FUP the speed is changed to 512kbps for most of the plans!! I have G broadband and my current plan is 25GB FUP limit with speed of 2mbps and post FUP its 1mbps and its unlimited! I am going to stick with Gbroadband for now.
Old 17th May 2016, 15:27   #821
BHPian

I am in Chennai and use Airtel broadband. The plan is 100GB @ 8 mbps. Monthly charges comes to Rs.1450 with tax.
Service also has been excellent so far. Connection was down on a couple of occasions. After registering complaint on 121, technician got in touch with me within couple if hours and issue was resolved.
Old 17th May 2016, 16:15   #822
Senior - BHPian

Living with ACT in two cities. Good speed and bandwidth. Can reset FUP if we have exhausted. Just have to pay for the remainder of the days.

Have faced issues a couple of times, one was almost a day long. But been a trouble-free experience otherwise.

One quirk I have though is that certain websites (one I use for movies) got blocked a couple of months back and became available recently.

Checked again this month to find it gone again. Some consistency please
Old 17th May 2016, 17:01   #823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebibendum View Post
I am looking for recommendation in a stable internet connection. I stay in west Delhi area and was a loyal customer of mtnl for 10 years. Around year and a half already gone, I have been using tikona after that.
This is the time when tikona has made my life miserable and hence I would like to change this isp. Can anyone recommend a better service provider please ?

Thanks
Are you looking for a limited or unlimited plan? Just in case you have to be on an unlimited plan, MTNL is the best option so far in Delhi (barring few areas like IP extn where fibre-based unlimited plans are available).

I'm on MTNL's 1mbps connection for the last 3+ years and almost every month I scout for better plans but there simply isn't any, yet.

What I've done is that I took down the mobile number of the local lineman and anytime there's any issue, I simply call him up and he gets its fixed by next day for sure. On his every 2nd visit I pay him 100 bucks that keeps him happy. I face issues around twice in a year which isn't so bad, else this unlimited plan of MTNL is pretty good when it comes to uptime and consistency in speed.
Old 18th May 2016, 15:34   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Check your router settings page. We can enter the credentials in the router so that it will log in automatically when it connects to the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
My friend also was told the same by the technician. Nonetheless he went ahead with it and is not facing any problem.
Thanks everyone! I setup the username & password in PPPoE settings of my WiFi Router, and no logins required anymore.

Quote:
I checked the tariffs for ACT. Looks like after FUP the speed is changed to 512kbps for most of the plans!! I have G broadband and my current plan is 25GB FUP limit with speed of 2mbps and post FUP its 1mbps and its unlimited! I am going to stick with Gbroadband for now.
2 Mbps doesn't sound too fast. How much are they charging for this package?
Old 18th May 2016, 15:39   #825
BHPian

They charge me Rs.986 for this package. 2Mbps works fine for me in watching videos and occasionally connecting to my office VPN.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks