Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 16:38   #826
Senior - BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
So, naveenroy, is ACT really good? No downtime, no slowdowns, no over billing etc. ? Some time back people were upset with them over downtime / interruptions.
Well, the thing about ACT is that there is no slowdowns, over-billing at all. Never experienced those. However, there has been very rare downtimes but all of which have been fixed quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Living with ACT in two cities. Good speed and bandwidth. Can reset FUP if we have exhausted. Just have to pay for the remainder of the days.
Yes, the reset FUP option is also good - I just have to pay for the days I use.
Old 18th May 2016, 22:14   #827

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Are you looking for a limited or unlimited plan? Just in case you have to be on an unlimited plan, MTNL is the best option so far in Delhi (barring few areas like IP extn where fibre-based unlimited plans are available).

I'm on MTNL's 1mbps connection for the last 3+ years and almost every month I scout for better plans but there simply isn't any, yet.

What I've done is that I took down the mobile number of the local lineman and anytime there's any issue, I simply call him up and he gets its fixed by next day for sure. On his every 2nd visit I pay him 100 bucks that keeps him happy. I face issues around twice in a year which isn't so bad, else this unlimited plan of MTNL is pretty good when it comes to uptime and consistency in speed.
Thanks for the response. My requirement is to have Atleast 4 mbps of connection. I am okay with the limited but it should be a minimum of 20-25 GB.
Based on my findings, I have understood the following :-
1. Tikona sets up the systems through wireless singles from their signal to your place.
2. Hathway and siti broadband are though cables,which I feel attracts less downtime.

Both Hathway and siti have contacted me with plans and I see Hathway having a cheaper plan than siti.

Please guide if I am heading to a wrong direction. Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 01:03   #828
BHPian

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebibendum View Post
I am looking for recommendation in a stable internet connection. I stay in west Delhi area and was a loyal customer of mtnl for 10 years. Around year and a half already gone, I have been using tikona after that.

This is the time when tikona has made my life miserable and hence I would like to change this isp. Can anyone recommend a better service provider please ?

Thanks

I recently moved to West Delhi. Have 2 connections at my place, Airtel(8 mbps) and Hathway(50 mbps). I have not seen any down time on either of them till date. Using Airtel from 3 months and Hathway from 1 month.

I paid 3090₹ for 3 months for Hathway. 40 GB/Month @ 50mbps, after which speed gets reduced to 1mbps.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by sinharishi : 19th May 2016 at 01:05.
Old 19th May 2016, 11:08   #829
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
So, naveenroy, is ACT really good? No downtime, no slowdowns, no over billing etc. ? Some time back people were upset with them over downtime / interruptions.
naveenroy has already replied. So let me add to that.
If you are going for ACT, please check with your neighbors who are using it. Because ACT service quality is not the same in all locations.
I stay in an apartment complex in east bangalore. A huge majority of broadband connections here is ACT. several months back the users started hitting the FUP limit way before the end of bill cycle even though their usage patterns did not change. few of them installed data meters and not surprisingly found that they were being over-billed for data. What was shocking was the extend of over-billing. One of the user was informed he has hit 50GB fup limit. but his data meter was showing around 25GB. Even after escalating the issues and showing them proof, they are still not willing to accept any error on their part. So, be careful with ACT.
Old 19th May 2016, 11:40   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
naveenroy has already replied. So let me add to that.
If you are going for ACT, please check with your neighbors who are using it. Because ACT service quality is not the same in all locations.
I stay in an apartment complex in east bangalore. A huge majority of broadband connections here is ACT. several months back the users started hitting the FUP limit way before the end of bill cycle even though their usage patterns did not change. few of them installed data meters and not surprisingly found that they were being over-billed for data. What was shocking was the extend of over-billing. One of the user was informed he has hit 50GB fup limit. but his data meter was showing around 25GB. Even after escalating the issues and showing them proof, they are still not willing to accept any error on their part. So, be careful with ACT.
ACT provides web page for checking usage. Link - http://portal.acttv.in/web/blr/home
A bit of daily monitoring will check if ACT is upto any mischief.
Old 19th May 2016, 13:52   #831
BHPian

FYI: Netflix launched https://fast.com/ - a HTML5 (no flash) download speed test site.
Old 19th May 2016, 21:24   #832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
ACT provides web page for checking usage. Link - http://portal.acttv.in/web/blr/home
A bit of daily monitoring will check if ACT is upto any mischief.
Thankfully haven't run into these issues. I do a check every two days since I consume a lot of data using Netflix.

They have been prompt in cutting off the speed and resetting the meter on the month end. Hope it stays that way forever.
Old 19th May 2016, 23:04   #833

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
I recently moved to West Delhi. Have 2 connections at my place, Airtel(8 mbps) and Hathway(50 mbps). I have not seen any down time on either of them till date. Using Airtel from 3 months and Hathway from 1 month.

I paid 3090₹ for 3 months for Hathway. 40 GB/Month @ 50mbps, after which speed gets reduced to 1mbps.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for vouching for hathway. I will contact them tomorrow for plans. I saw some advertisement in which they were having some introductory offers and all.
Any idea on siti broadband?
Old 20th May 2016, 12:09   #834
BHPian

Hathway in Bangalore

Any reviews of Hathway Broadband in Bangalore?

I'm using ACT and am quite happy with the speed (30Mbps plan) and connectivity.
However, Hathway sounds very tempting with higher speeds of 50Mbps, at a lower cost.

Last edited by tibby : 20th May 2016 at 12:10. Reason: corrected grammar
Old 20th May 2016, 14:12   #835
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hathway in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
Any reviews of Hathway Broadband in Bangalore?

I'm using ACT and am quite happy with the speed (30Mbps plan) and connectivity.
However, Hathway sounds very tempting with higher speeds of 50Mbps, at a lower cost.
I'm a customer in the BSK 3rd Stage area, and service is good. I've moved from 10-20-30-50 Mbps over the years, and speeds are pretty decent except occasional throttling during peak hours.

Outages are minimal and are usually resolved within a few hours post-complaint, or latest by next day (if a site visit is needed). Reasonably priced too.
Old 20th May 2016, 14:25   #836
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
FYI: Netflix launched https://fast.com/ - a HTML5 (no flash) download speed test site.
That only tells your throughput while connecting to netflix site. If you are not using netflix, it is irrelevant.

Please read this post: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post3873991 (How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?)
Old 20th May 2016, 14:42   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm a customer in the BSK 3rd Stage area, and service is good. I've moved from 10-20-30-50 Mbps over the years, and speeds are pretty decent except occasional throttling during peak hours.

Outages are minimal and are usually resolved within a few hours post-complaint, or latest by next day (if a site visit is needed). Reasonably priced too.
Sounds good!

Of the promised 50Mbps, what speeds have you been receiving often?
Old 20th May 2016, 16:54   #838
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
Sounds good!

Of the promised 50Mbps, what speeds have you been receiving often?
I consistently get 30-40 Mbps at least, stays close to 50 usually and have occasionally seen 60+ during lean hours post midnight while working late. Peak-hours throttling doesn't happen very often but when it does, I still get a pretty respectable ~10Mbps which I can live with.

This is what I usually get at peak times (screenshot on WiFi yesterday):

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-screenshot_20160520165751.png

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th May 2016 at 17:06.
Old 20th May 2016, 17:45   #839
BHPian

I got my hathway connection activated yesterday. I stay in Koramangala, Bangalore, paid 3780/- INR for a 3 months prepaid connection.
Speeds - 50 mbps
Download limit - 50 GB
Free installation.
Free modem and D-link router.
No deposit.

Experience has been good so far. My earlier broadband connection with Airtel has been moved to safe custody, in case I plan to exit Hathway after 3 months.

I would rank Airtel customer support very high, but their speeds (read 2 mbps) were way too low for what I paid (1056/- INR) per month. I didn't have an option to change plans either, this is the max speed they could support in koramangala. A prime location like Koramangala doesn't have option to scale beyond 2 mbps
Attached Images

Old 21st May 2016, 10:27   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Well, the thing about ACT is that there is no slowdowns, over-billing at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Because ACT service quality is not the same in all locations. <snip> So, be careful with ACT.
Thank you both, your feedback is much appreciated!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks