Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 09:31   #841
BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I consistently get 30-40 Mbps at least, stays close to 50 usually and have occasionally seen 60+ during lean hours post midnight while working late. Peak-hours throttling doesn't happen very often but when it does, I still get a pretty respectable ~10Mbps which I can live with.

This is what I usually get at peak times (screenshot on WiFi yesterday):
So the connection being offered is 'Upto 50 Mbps'. I hope that's what they told you when they offered the plan.
Do you constantly get upload speeds of 5 Mbps, or higher?

I'm on ACT Blaze (plan offering speeds of 30 Mbps), and have not seen speeds below 28.5 Mbps so far (almost a month) whether during peak or off-peak hours. They also offer upload speeds of 30 Mbps consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
I got my hathway connection activated yesterday. I stay in Koramangala, Bangalore, paid 3780/- INR for a 3 months prepaid connection.
Speeds - 50 mbps
Download limit - 50 GB
Free installation.
Free modem and D-link router.
No deposit.
What would be the condition to get the WiFi Router for free (after you get Hathway disconnected)?
Old 23rd May 2016, 11:56   #842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebibendum View Post
Thanks for vouching for hathway. I will contact them tomorrow for plans. I saw some advertisement in which they were having some introductory offers and all.
Any idea on siti broadband?
Never heard of Siti broadband. Is Nextra available in your area?
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:13   #843
Senior - BHPian

Just installed ACT. First time ever i am seeing speeds that makes me feel good. I am on the 60mbps connection and have to say the upload speed is all i wanted to uodate my online video database.

100gb is the limit for upload separately inaddition to 100 for download.

So far did not have any connection issues and installation was in less than 24 hours.
Old 23rd May 2016, 12:48   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebibendum View Post
Thanks for vouching for hathway. I will contact them tomorrow for plans. I saw some advertisement in which they were having some introductory offers and all.
Any idea on siti broadband?
In my case, SITI has just not been reliable at all. Used it for some six months with frequent connectivity and downtime issues. Moreover, the technicians aren't that skilful either, neither does the customer care has good response time. This is the situation here in East Delhi.

Though the speeds were good and the prices cheap, finally got enough of the troubleshooting every other day & switched back to Airtel for peace of mind and avoiding any more wastage of time.

A couple of relatives are using Hathaway and they've also been principally happy with it. I'd suggest between these two.
Old 25th May 2016, 14:14   #845
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I am getting this message regularly on the links that I click through facebook and twitter.

This is the office system and with good antivirus and spam control mechanism.

Any suggestions to overcome this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-screenshot-20160525-10.27.34.png  

Old 12th June 2016, 10:52   #846
Senior - BHPian

Had my worst experience with the ACT BB in my area in Bangalore. Got a connection one and half months ago. The installation was completed within two days, but there was no sign of router which I paid for. After fifteen days, the customer care calls and asks for my experience and I expressed my concern. After five more days, I have the router installed.

And during the installation, I am told that there are no free switch available in my neighborhood and I agreed to get a switch installed in my home. That is where the nightmare started. Every couple of days, someone would come down, leave the gates unlocked and one day, to the dismay of everyone at home, a bundle of optic fiber cable was found stewn on the terrace and bound to every corner of the clothes drying cable. My father spent a whole day and cleaned up the mess and routed the cables on the terrace. The next day, my father told this to the person who visited and he rudely answered saying the cable will be disconnected. This is where I came to know about the issues. I locked the switch box and asked not to open it under any circumstances. The following day, a man was found on the terrace leaping from other side. My father who was on the terrace objected to this and he was abused. Later that evening, the supervisor came down and took the switch from our home and installed it a couple of houses away. My connection was cut and as I write this four days after, there is no connection. Yesterday I raised a complaint and afternoon someone who visited told until we agree to install a switch, no connection will be provided.

After this I have asked for the disconnection of the service yesterday evening. So if someone insists on installing switch, please note you will have unwelcome visitors of all sorts and a fiber optic cable godown on your rooftop. I would suggest that you do not entertain the switch box at the beginning itself and insist on only cable.
Old 12th June 2016, 17:52   #847
Team-BHP Support

Need suggestions for a broadband connection at Sec 35, Akbarpur, Barota, Kundli, Sonepat, Haryana.

To be used at home.

Pls suggest. TIA
Old 12th June 2016, 20:30   #848
BHPian

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
Had my worst experience with the ACT BB in my area in Bangalore.
I have a Youbroadband switch in my house and it is slightly messy but not on the terrace, by the side of the house. Not too many subscribers so no such issues so far. However am without Internet atleast one whole weekend every month. I just filled in the subscribe form on ACT to have one more provider at home. I had Cherrinet but they are worse than Youbroadband with multiple down times, almost once a week.
I will switch to ACT for a couple of months if they provide me a connection at home (without a switch)!
One advantage of the switch in my house is I power off the switch and then they support guys come scampering to fix any issue I have. However since it has a battery backup there is a 12 hour delay before it goes off and other subscribers start screaming...

Last edited by diyguy : 12th June 2016 at 20:53.
Old 20th June 2016, 13:51   #849
Senior - BHPian

I watched 2 HD streaming movies from Google Play movies over the weekend. The first one was "The Revenant" ( 156 mins ) , that took up around 3.2 GB. The second one was "Fury" ( 134 minutes), that took up around 4.6 GB.

I've been watching HD movies on Google play for a while and my usual consumption is around 1.2-1.5 GB per hour. While the data usage for the first movie looked all right , I was taken aback by the 4.6 GB the second movie consumed , i.e. over 2GB per hour. Any explanations ?

My ISP is Airtel and the data usage breakdown for the 2 days while watching the movies is below.
Attached Thumbnails
How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-data.jpg  

Last edited by sdp1975 : 20th June 2016 at 14:08.
Old 20th June 2016, 14:21   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Had my worst experience with the ACT BB in my area in Bangalore. Got a connection one and half months ago. The installation was completed within two days, but there was no sign of router which I paid for. After fifteen days, the customer care calls and asks for my experience and I expressed my concern. After five more days, I have the router installed.
Why not Airtel BB ? I too was ACT BB user for over an year, but things started to go terribly wrong and their customer service and technicians suck big time.
Old 20th June 2016, 16:25   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
I too was ACT BB user for over an year, but things started to go terribly wrong and their customer service and technicians suck big time.
I just took ACT BB last week as a failover for my YouBroadband. None of these providers can ever be as reliable as Airtel, but when they work, they are really good. So I now have 2 connections at home - one at 40Mbps and other at 50 Mbps. Airtel is unable to give me more than 2Mbps in my street and hence I had to try other. I started with DSL cable on Youbroadband, which was horrible and after much screaming they dragged fiber till my house. I have an Airtel 4G dongle as a third backup but, hopefully should not need that.
Old 21st June 2016, 18:21   #852
Senior - BHPian

So finally the ACT agony comes to an end. Seems the deactivation is one call away and to get a refund you need to make another call to the customer service. High time the customer is educated on this.

I called up the customer care number and wished to get the connection terminated. A couple of hours after this, someone calls me and tries to educate me to continue the relationship. I politely refused and pressed for the disconnection. One more executive calls and again asks me the story and tells the same story all over again and says how they will miss me. I gently asked him if they want a relationship, then it is the trust they have to hold onto. When I don't trust them anymore how can I continue. A moment of silence and the call is disconnected. And the connection is terminated a few hours after this episode.

I waited for a couple of days for any news of refund of the six month advance I paid. And no answer. Again I call up the customer care and a mail is sent to the registered mail id requesting details of the account. I am told this will take 15 days by the customer care executive. But after 2 days, I get the refund in my account and it is full refund. I am thrilled. 1 month and 10 days of free BB from ACT and a Netgear wireless router free. I have written to them again and have asked them about the 1 month payment and the whereabouts to dump the router and I am yet to get an answer. If I don't get one in a month, I will post the router in the giveaway page.

And meanwhile I opted for the Hathway BB. I am satisfied with their approach and the service till now. I will review this a month into my usage and post here.
Old 21st June 2016, 21:08   #853
BHPian

Quote:
So if someone insists on installing switch, please note you will have unwelcome visitors of all sorts and a fiber optic cable godown on your rooftop. I would suggest that you do not entertain the switch box at the beginning itself and insist on only cable.
If one needs privacy, no point in hosting others' equipment as that would mean providing them access and bearing the resultant mess. I am sure ACT was running broadband to others from your home since that explains the mess of cables on your terrace.

That way, ACT is quite callous as they don't take permission from house owners before laying cables on their terrace. A few years ago, I noticed a black cable snaking its way across my terrace and I promptly cut it a number of times but it kept coming back. No one ever came to take my permission and they finally strung it through a tree nearby. It was only when I myself got ACT that I realized the cable belonged to them. In a few months they laid an even thicker black cable across my terrace once again without my permission and since it does not affect my Internet access, I have been debating whether to cut that one too.

The house opposite mine has a Hathway cable TV junction box and I notice their employees come a number of times every week to work on it. Sometimes 2 or 3 Hathway employees can be seen perched up on their compound wall, other times they engage in loud conversation. Only bonus is that my neighbor gets free cable.
Old 27th June 2016, 19:28   #854
Distinguished - BHPian

My local cable guy isp is now giving me this for 800 bucks a month, no FUP stress included.
Attached Images

Old 29th June 2016, 19:07   #855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
If one needs privacy, no point in hosting others' equipment as that would mean providing them access and bearing the resultant mess. I am sure ACT was running broadband to others from your home since that explains the mess of cables on your terrace.
It was not the privacy issue here. It all started when a haphazardly dressed chap entered the compound. On questioning, he told my father he was from ACT but did not have any proof of identity when asked to show. How can ACT be so irresponsible about their employees.

And as far as the cable connection was regarded, inspite of repeated requests not to run the cable diagonally on the terrace and route it properly through the corners were not heeded, then we locked the switch box. Our home also hosts the local cable guys instruments and never once in the last 15+ years, it has hindered our movement on the terrace and anyone form the cablenet who comes up for troubleshooting rings the doorbell and requests to work on the terrace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks