Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2017, 15:22   #931

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hi, I have opted for ACT as the service is pretty good in the neighbourhood.
Have paid up for 6 months and am getting the Netgear router. Hows this router?
I am on the same setup. It is decent. It provides good coverage over an area of 1200 sqft. But I am not happy with the wi-fi speeds. This could be a result of many networks in my neighbourhood but I get a lot of disconnections of my phone and nowhere close to the 40Mbps speed. No disconnections on my PC but again speeds over wi-fi are just, meh.

Just check reviews of both the routers to get a better comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
This is a direct line plugged to my PC from WiFi router. Otherwise WiFi had maxed out at 50 Mbps Download/Upload. Need to work with WiFi router (300N) to unlock the remaining bandwidth.

Cheers!
Thanks. Let us know if you find a solution.
Old 2nd June 2017, 07:01   #932
Senior - BHPian

Theyre giving me the router free of cost as I paid 6 month upfront. Some new scheme. I'm getting Netgear.
Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
Just tell them that you want to buy the router yourself, then ask them to configure it.
If already paid for, then ask them for a refund on the router cost.
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:15   #933
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded my Airtel Broadband Landline to Binatone VDSL Router cum WiFi.New plan name: Airtel-UL-Pace 1199 80GB (16Mbps/512Kbps) COMBO Plan.
+20 GB for 2 other connections. Total 100GB

Speeds - 17.33 Mbps download 17.79 Upload

Till Jio Fiber reaches Meerut.

Cheers...
Old 8th June 2017, 21:12   #934
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently upgraded my Airtel broadband to VDSL and ever since then, there were frequent internet drops in the evening. The DSL Connection was stable, but the internet connection would drop. I reported this and the technician came home and blindly said its because of poor internal wiring. We have the telephone cable replaced by CAT6 ethernet cables all around the house and his inference was absurd. Moreover, the DSL connection was very stable and never dropped. After rubbishing his claims, I told him that if at all the internal wiring were to be the problem, I would be better off with a fiber internet connection and I was sticking to VDSL only for the clean wiring.

Then this chap tried to do something at the exchange end and yet, nothing happened. I switched the DNS to openDNS and now the issue has not occurred again. Looks like their servers are not able to handle the load that crops up in the evening times when many households try to access the internet. Here are results from speedtest.net:

Old 16th June 2017, 14:17   #935
BHPian

I am having Airtel Connection at home. The plan was 1 MBPS unlimited for 899 per month. I wanted to change the plan for higher speeds. I was told that a new router will be required for change of plan. Even though my new plan was having 40 MBPS limit, at my place speed of only 8 MBPS was possible.

I had replaced original Beetle router provided by Airtel as its range was very limited. I have been using Dlink DSL-2750U modem at my place which has excellent coverage. At that time I was not aware about a new technology called VDSL and I was under the impression that I will be able to use this DLink router after this plan upgrade also. When the engineer visited my place, he informed me that my Dlink router will no longer work with this connection. He installed a new Beetle VDSL router which had a very limited range just like earlier ADSL router.

I was searching for a solution for this. After going through various you tube videos and forums, I realised that it is possible to use Beetle router as Modem and DLink router as router for wifi connectivity. I have taken following steps to get this setup working:

1. In DLink router I changed the default ip address to 192.168.1.10 so that there is no conflict between default ip of both the routers

2. In DLink router I upgraded firmware to what is available for middle east region from following site: https://www.dlinkmea.com/site/index.php/site/index

3. After this upgrade, In DLink router I changed the WAN access type to Ethernet as explained in this video:
I also made necessary settings for wifi access in DLink router

4. Then I connected Beetle and DLink router via an Ethernet Cable (Which came with Beetle router) in Port 1 of both routers.

5. In the company provided Beetle router I disabled wifi.

And these steps helped me get back to my earlier coverage. Only thing different is that now I have to keep 2 routers on.

I hope above guide will help others who are upgrading to VDSL.

Last edited by rutvij : 16th June 2017 at 14:20.
Old 16th June 2017, 16:52   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Upgraded my Airtel Broadband Landline to Binatone VDSL Router cum WiFi.
Speeds - 17.33 Mbps download 17.79 Upload
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I recently upgraded my Airtel broadband to VDSL
audioholic seems to have the upload speed capped at 1Mbps. I thought it was a limitation of DSL. But from dkaile's speed there seem to be no limitation. What say?

I am seriously thinking of switching to FTTH due to Airtel's pathetic 512kbps upload speed. VDSL is not yet available for my line.
Old 17th June 2017, 13:04   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
I am having Airtel Connection at home. The plan was 1 MBPS unlimited for 899 per month. I wanted to change the plan for higher speeds. I was told that a new router will be required for change of plan. Even though my new plan was having 40 MBPS limit, at my place speed of only 8 MBPS was possible.

I had replaced original Beetle router provided by Airtel as its range was very limited. I have been using Dlink DSL-2750U modem at my place which has excellent coverage. At that time I was not aware about a new technology called VDSL and I was under the impression that I will be able to use this DLink router after this plan upgrade also. When the engineer visited my place, he informed me that my Dlink router will no longer work with this connection. He installed a new Beetle VDSL router which had a very limited range just like earlier ADSL router.

I was searching for a solution for this. After going through various you tube videos and forums, I realised that it is possible to use Beetle router as Modem and DLink router as router for wifi connectivity. I have taken following steps to get this setup working:

1. In DLink router I changed the default ip address to 192.168.1.10 so that there is no conflict between default ip of both the routers

2. In DLink router I upgraded firmware to what is available for middle east region from following site: https://www.dlinkmea.com/site/index.php/site/index

3. After this upgrade, In DLink router I changed the WAN access type to Ethernet as explained in this video: https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=8HPcwbsQxp8
I also made necessary settings for wifi access in DLink router

4. Then I connected Beetle and DLink router via an Ethernet Cable (Which came with Beetle router) in Port 1 of both routers.

5. In the company provided Beetle router I disabled wifi.

And these steps helped me get back to my earlier coverage. Only thing different is that now I have to keep 2 routers on.

I hope above guide will help others who are upgrading to VDSL.
If you are getting a LAN cable directly, then you can plug in the LAN from Airtel to port 4 and configure your username and password on it. That is how I have been using it on ACT.
Old 27th June 2017, 17:17   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Theyre giving me the router free of cost as I paid 6 month upfront. Some new scheme. I'm getting Netgear.
Thanks for your reply.
Hello Sebring,
Are you happy with ACT SP ?
I too moved to ACT around the first week of June. Got the 6 month subscription + free router.
But the service is pretty bad due to prolonged disconnections. Takes about a day to resolve the matter . The link is down at home right now. Really regret moving to ACT
Old 28th June 2017, 21:15   #939
Senior - BHPian

I took a double hit my friend - On my iPhone and my iHome!

Was really happy with my ACT connection, esp the blazing fast speed, but in just about 15 days got a message that my 100 GB download was up (In reality, must have used just about 20 GB) and then the speed started to wane. Now its barely there.

So yes, it does look unethical.

Then it happened on my iPhone. The Airtel data on it started to crawl, and was barely moving. Was so tired of seeing those circles!

Disappointed, took a new Jio connection on my iphone. Now, I'm getting super fast internet on my phone and am happy and sorted. Using it as hot spot for the home as well.

The Airtel sim has been relegated to a secondary phone (will do a '50 buck talk-time top up' every month), now wondering what to do with ACT for the home. Am truly stuck for now!

Too tired to chase customer service right now, as that would mean wasting countless hours trying to explain. Maybe Ill just surrender the connection and ask for my money back. Even Hathway sucks in the area, so not sure on the alternatives.
Old 28th June 2017, 23:59   #940

Quote:

Was really happy with my ACT connection, esp the blazing fast speed, but in just about 15 days got a message that my 100 GB download was up (In reality, must have used just about 20 GB) and then the speed started to wane. Now its barely there.

I think the ACT connection counts download and upload towards FUP. Maybe, that is your answer. Of course as the user, you would know your usage better.
Old 29th June 2017, 09:58   #941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

ACT have an app which tells you how much you have used.

Also you can visit,

http://portal.actcorp.in/ to find out how much of the Internet you used each day.

I have subscription to a variety of online streaming services. I have 175GB limit but haven't gone near even the 100GB limit once in the past year.

Only on one occasion did I breach the limit on my 60GB connection (I think), still I was able to pay a pro-rated amount based on the number of days remaining to get more GB into my plan. Try Flexybytes as well. It is something similar I suppose.

And this is what I saw on their webpage:
Fair Usage Policy (FUP) applies only on downloads.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 29th June 2017 at 10:01.
Old 29th June 2017, 20:15   #942
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing. As per this I have indeed exceeded my monthly usage. this month usage ends on 29th, so hopefully I start on clean slate. Else will call customer service.
Old 6th July 2017, 08:10   #943
BANNED

Anyone here uses Hathway in Chembur, Bombay? Couple of years back, Hathway was served by a local cable operator - Bhavani. They were terrible then. There were a lot of outages & the cable operator didn't have any idea how to fix them either. Once I had an outage for 2.5 days. I shifted to another provider after that. However, almost a year and a half back, Hathway directly started providing internet in my area without going through Bhavani & some people said it's improved. Is there anyone here in the Chembur area using Hathway - how is the quality of the connection, how much do you pay & how is the service?
Old 11th July 2017, 10:04   #944
Senior - BHPian

Airtel people replaced the modem at my place over the weekend. Getting 24Mbps speeds now on download. Uploads are still slow at 3Mbps but it is better than before.

500 rupees (one time charge) will be included in the next bill apparently for this change. It came down from a 1000 a few months before I declined the offer then since I wasn't using this connection much but 3X speed was tempting for an extra 500.

It is consistent as well. Broadband speeds and plans have come a long way in the past couple of years. Must thank the Fibernet guys I suppose.
Old 11th August 2017, 22:02   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
audioholic seems to have the upload speed capped at 1Mbps. I thought it was a limitation of DSL. But from dkaile's speed there seem to be no limitation. What say?

I am seriously thinking of switching to FTTH due to Airtel's pathetic 512kbps upload speed. VDSL is not yet available for my line.
On VDSL, here in Delhi NCR, the upload is around 4 to 5 Mbps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks