Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 14:14   #526
Senior - BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Well, ACT have done a tumble of late. I used to get around 8 MBps speeds on downloading linux ISOs on torrents - this is for an advertised 40 Mbps connection. Now, the max I get is 2 MBps. They say they are making a distinction between MBps and Mbps.
Old 14th January 2015, 17:18   #527
Senior - BHPian

@RobC: Yes i am on the Xpress 2499 and Ping of 10-25ms would be heaven sent for me. Guess its time to call them up again :(

Had to muddle through their tech support for a week to get my bandwidth up from 20mbps [previous plan] to 50mbps. Finally got bandwidth only after calls to the nodal officer.

Right now arguing with them over billing errors.
Old 4th February 2015, 19:28   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Way ahead of you mate

I've got a BSNL broadband as backup, 4Mbps with 20GB FUP, since the past 12 months. Have never trusted Failtel. Plus, 3G on 2 cell phones at home.

Besides, we all know how big a scam artist Failtel can be. Asking them to disconnect an existing connection that used to net them nearly 30k a year, is like asking Indians to stop pee-ing in public! Never gonna happen .

Nevermind though, I'm happy for now. Lets see how ACT performs over the coming weeks and months. I've already received 3 calls from Airtel regarding disconnection and changing plans and all such crap. Gave each of the callers an earful!
Make sure to collect NOC /clearence or whatever they call with your full and final settlement from Airtel.
For each connections I disconnected, I used to get a non-payment call from someone later.

So,I always insist on a mail or written document clearly saying no dues are pending and my full and final settlement is done.Never settle for tele-conversations.

I've my ACT broadband box fitted today (Enclosure with battery) and eagerly waiting for the final steps now. Will not say god bye to good old BSNL which is serving me from 2006 onwards.(Just for the sweet memory, I will keep it till BSNL gets privatised/bankrupt)

Last edited by mykal shoemaker : 4th February 2015 at 19:30.
Old 6th February 2015, 13:34   #529
BHPian

My ISP, Spectranet, is offering new quarterly plans. So far I was on a monthly plan with download speed of 16 mbps with FUP limit of 48 GB. I had to pay 1400 for this. Now if I sign up for quarterly plan, with 4200 as the payment amount, then the speed offered is 20 mbps with unlimited data download limit. I have signed up for this. Will update if it is indeed unlimited.
Old 8th February 2015, 00:56   #530
BHPian

After using airtel for 8 years, disconnected the 16mbps plan and opted for the ACT (60 mbps, 100gb FUP) .. Both are more or less the same in terms of cost. The guy said it takes a couple of days to get the wiring done. Anyone is using this connection? How is it? Reliable? Airtel had become pathetically slow with constant copper issues and whatnot.
Old 8th February 2015, 22:55   #531
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a little help needed with my Hathway connection.

When I first got the connection, I had to login to their system to activate the internet post which the internet would stay connected for 4 hours and then disconnect. I would then have to login again to use the internet.

To counter this problem, I asked Hathway to assign a Static IP to me. After this was assigned, I did not have any problems with having to login.

But a new problem arose. It so happens that port forwarding never seems to work. I use the port 35672 for uTorrent and this is the status on the router. As for the IP Address, I have allotted the IP Address mentioned here using the DHCP Static IP Assignment tool on the DLink DIR 600M router.

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-router.jpg

So from the router point of view, the port forwarding is done, but when I check if the port is open on websites, I get the message that the port is not open. uTorrent also shows me the exclamation mark noting that something is wrong with the connection.

Anyone knows what is wrong?

A friend of mine with a similar Hathway setuip is having similar issues using a different port.
Old 11th February 2015, 12:12   #532
Senior - BHPian

Spectranet removes FUP from some plans

Spectranet new plans for Bangalore have unlimited download limits, effectvely no FUP. Their Success plan with 50MB/20MB download/upload speed plans look very good. I am currently on the mid-tier plan which offers 20/10 speeds with unlimited data and so far it has been excellent with consistent speeds and near 100% uptime.

http://spectranet.in/fox.php
Old 11th February 2015, 16:12   #533
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spectranet removes FUP from some plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Spectranet new plans for Bangalore have unlimited download limits, effectvely no FUP. Their Success plan with 50MB/20MB download/upload speed plans look very good. I am currently on the mid-tier plan which offers 20/10 speeds with unlimited data and so far it has been excellent with consistent speeds and near 100% uptime.

http://spectranet.in/fox.php
Problem is that all these service providers start off by giving real "unlimited" plans and in some months, they will bring in some sort of FUP.
Old 11th February 2015, 19:46   #534
BHPian

Any spectranet users in Chennai ? need feedback.
Planning to shift from Airtel Broadband to any other reliable service provider.
Old 12th February 2015, 00:30   #535
Senior - BHPian

Screenshot of a recent download on uTorrent using Hathway's 50Mbps plan.

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-screen.jpg

Old 15th February 2015, 13:04   #536
BHPian

So, got ACT BB, impressed with everything so far

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-untitled.png

But, every time the router switches off , it re-directs me to their login page. it's irritating to enter the password again and again, how do I disable this? can someone tell me?
Old 15th February 2015, 13:31   #537
BHPian

Act supports pppoe. Check your router configuration and change it from DHCP to ppoe and enter your act login credentials there. After this, it will auto login.

Google your router specific setup if you find it difficult.
Old 15th February 2015, 22:08   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Guys, a little help needed with my Hathway connection.

When I first got the connection, I had to login to their system to activate the internet post which the internet would stay connected for 4 hours and then disconnect. I would then have to login again to use the internet.

To counter this problem, I asked Hathway to assign a Static IP to me. After this was assigned, I did not have any problems with having to login.

But a new problem arose. It so happens that port forwarding never seems to work. I use the port 35672 for uTorrent and this is the status on the router. As for the IP Address, I have allotted the IP Address mentioned here using the DHCP Static IP Assignment tool on the DLink DIR 600M router.

Attachment 1338043

So from the router point of view, the port forwarding is done, but when I check if the port is open on websites, I get the message that the port is not open. uTorrent also shows me the exclamation mark noting that something is wrong with the connection.

Anyone knows what is wrong?

A friend of mine with a similar Hathway setuip is having similar issues using a different port.
Anyone knows a solution?
Old 1st March 2015, 23:00   #539
BHPian

Guys, I'm currently on MTNL broadband with 1Mbps plan. It gives me 2Mbps at night and on Sundays. I was a satisfied customer with hardly any downtime, until last couple of months that the connection isn't as stable. I'm thinking of switching over to an alternate ISP that would be reliable and gives good speed with competent pricing. I pay Rs.650 with taxes/Month (which is actually cheap) and stay in Borivali West, Mumbai.
Any suggestions?
Old 3rd March 2015, 23:45   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantdlv View Post
Guys, I'm currently on MTNL broadband with 1Mbps plan. It gives me 2Mbps at night and on Sundays. I was a satisfied customer with hardly any downtime, until last couple of months that the connection isn't as stable. I'm thinking of switching over to an alternate ISP that would be reliable and gives good speed with competent pricing. I pay Rs.650 with taxes/Month (which is actually cheap) and stay in Borivali West, Mumbai.
Any suggestions?
Nishant.
Hi
I too had MTNL broad band for 2 years and I had no problem, except for a couple of downtime for an hour each.
Subsequently Hathway came up with a plan for rs 599 per month(Nov 2013 + installation charge of rs 500 and refundable deposit of rs 1000 for wireless router ) with 50 MBPS( wireless around 35/40 MBPS) speed and FUP of 10 GBS. In case you exceed that then unlimited at 512 kbps. One caveat. I have had quite a few disruptions and at 1 time it didnt work for 2 whole days. Also their customer service is pathetic.
In case you are interested pl call them or PM and I will send you the mobile number of the guy who sold to me in the first place.
Hope this helps
Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks