Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2013, 12:43   #31
BHPian

re: Google / Android TV project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
• $70 (including power adapter + hdmi cable) !!!
R

did the customs charge anything over this 70USD,
whats the landing please.

i am planning the next version.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:54   #32
BHPian

Interesting upgrade indeed.
Can you pls also give an update on the video formats (mp4, mkv etc.) that you are able to play from external HDD. Also, can you pls confirm if it supports subtitles. I have a Sony TV currently but my only grouse with it is the limitation in video formats supported and complete lack of support for subtitles (.srt format)
In case they work perfectly using the google tv, I can just buy this instead of going for a new TV altogether.
Old 2nd July 2013, 20:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post

Thanks Shreyas. Do you have the NSZ-GS7? How's the performance?
Yes I have the same model. It is good, I read in some review that it had a dual core processor. I feel apps are pretty limited. Netflix is there which is really good. Very good quality movies. I use youtube also and this app is good again. Since google chrome is present, so surfing is great especially with the fundoo keyboard cum mouse cum remote. So till now experience is good for what I require, I hope that the app store is made richer.
Old 2nd July 2013, 21:44   #34
BHPian

I have one of these MK808B brought from states through one of my friend last Feb. I was using this with the wireless keyboard & mouse at my home. But I am not using this device too often. Ebay sells this devices for 5k plus which is bizarre I guess. If anybody is interested please PM me I will be happy to sell it as well.

Thanks
geekyengineer
Old 3rd July 2013, 08:30   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekyengineer View Post
I have one of these MK808B brought from states through one of my friend last Feb. I was using this with the wireless keyboard & mouse at my home. But I am not using this device too often. Ebay sells this devices for 5k plus which is bizarre I guess. If anybody is interested please PM me I will be happy to sell it as well.

Thanks
geekyengineer
The correct price for MK808B on ebay is 3.8K (I sell these on ebay and hence I keep a close track of prices in local and global market)

All devices have same chipset and firmware/OS. Brands are just stickers!

Infact, Quad Core TV Sticks are available for 5-6K on ebay. There are 2 chipsets: AllWinner A31 and RockChip RK3188. RK3188 is better in overall performance.
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:27   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
The correct price for MK808B on ebay is 3.8K (I sell these on ebay and hence I keep a close track of prices in local and global market)

All devices have same chipset and firmware/OS. Brands are just stickers!

Infact, Quad Core TV Sticks are available for 5-6K on ebay. There are 2 chipsets: AllWinner A31 and RockChip RK3188. RK3188 is better in overall performance.

Yes Dev, you are right. I didnt check the ebay prices recently. I have the dual core version bought from geekbuying at 53$. The same model is now around 44$. Depriciation I guess.....

BTW this people come with a new device almost like every month. You may never know and they might come up with a octacore version pretty soon. BTW do you really need such a high processing power just for watching movies

Thx
geekyengineer
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:38   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here you go - first one is a server in Gurgaon, second is in Mumbai.
You are one lucky guy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
did the customs charge anything over this 70USD,
whats the landing please.

i am planning the next version.
Nope. I've ordered several things from HK / China (via ebay and direct sites) and have never faced a problem. They can take between 10 - 30 days to arrive.

Whats the "next version"? Is it out yet?

cya
R
Old 7th July 2013, 14:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Whats the "next version"? Is it out yet?

cya
R
next version is RK3188 based quad core, 2gb ram
the one which you had ordered is no longer made.

i ordered through amazon. it is shipped and now counting days!!
will post once it arrives!!
Old 8th July 2013, 01:01   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
next version is RK3188 based quad core, 2gb ram
Thanks!

Here's the link for others : http://www.timingpower.com/android-mini-pc-rk3188

Google / Android TV project-rk3188-photo1.jpeg

Priced a fair bit higher though...

cya
R
Old 8th July 2013, 11:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shreyas. Do you have the NSZ-GS7? How's the performance?
Well I recently bought the NSZ-GZ7.

My only three grouses are
1. It wont play all the video formats that my ASUS OPlay Air can play. I can circumvent it by using Plex but I really didn't want to be dependant on my laptop staying on all the time.
2. It doesnt support 5GHZ Wifi due to which NAS streaming over Wifi is patchy at best. Sometimes will play 1080P files fantastically and sometimes will buffer even for SD files.
3. Whats with Angry Birds and other games not ported for google tv. Google seriously needs to look at that. Maybe with the upcoming Jelly Bean update, there maybe some hope.

Other than that, its a pretty cool box. Love the fact that I can throw all my videos from my android phone to the TV. The remote is a gem plus the android app remotes too are fantastic. I control my TV too with the Sony remote.

Just need a fast internet connection and a service like 'Unblock US' to really experience the full potential of the box.

And also it helped that I got it at a dirt cheap price from Sony at 85$.

Cheers
Old 8th July 2013, 13:26   #41
BHPian

More goodies arrived today!

The first is an audio DAC (Digital to Analog) converter. It takes digital input (either optical or coaxial) and converts into analog stereo audio out (coaxial RCA jacks). The second package is a 2m TOSLINK optical fiber cable to connect my TV to my stereo system.

I also upgraded my MK808b to the "Finless" 2.1 kernel from freaktab. So far I haven't tested it comprehensively, but it does give me a higher AnTuTu rating, and the box runs cooler as well. Oh, and it allows me to setup a VPN (using a PIN lockscreen) without crashing
Attached Thumbnails
Google / Android TV project-20130708_091436.png  

Google / Android TV project-20130708_094203.png  

Google / Android TV project-20130708_092741.jpg  

Google / Android TV project-20130708_095440.jpg  

Old 25th July 2013, 14:39   #42
BHPian

Guys,
Please pardon me if I got it wrong, or am missing something, but with Google's Chromecast (http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...ecast/#netflix ), won't we get more or less the same benefits with just a $ 35, 2 inch device that will have to be plugged into the HDMI port of the tv?
Old 25th July 2013, 15:03   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Guys,
Please pardon me if I got it wrong, or am missing something, but with Google's Chromecast (http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...ecast/#netflix ), won't we get more or less the same benefits with just a $ 35, 2 inch device that will have to be plugged into the HDMI port of the tv?
As far as I have seen, these devices are independent ones with their own keyboard and has in built chrome browser and will allow you to install any Android App (directly or via side-loading). So you do not need any other device. From what I read about the Chrome Cast today, it basically just streams content wirelessly from your other devices. I don't see it to be too much different from the wireless dongles that are sold along with many smart TV's.

On the Google TV topic, I was lucky to pick up a Logitech Revue-Google TV Box right when they stopped production and slashed prices to under $100. Been using it for 1.5 years and it is absolutely awesome. I had put in a detailed review at that time. Link to the review below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...google-tv.html
Old 25th July 2013, 16:03   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Gear View Post
Guys,
What you need to know about Chromecast is that it is NOT like "AirPlay".

Apple's Airplay:
- Mirrors your screen and audio in real-time.
- Minimal lag, so you can play some slow-moving games, broadcast you using drawing apps, etc

Google's Chromecast:
- Main device sends a LINK to the chromecast device, which then opens it up.
- You can still do things like pause, queue, etc via the phone
- If you're familiar with Chrome-to-Phone, this is kinda like Phone-to-Chomecast
- Note that chromecast currently can only play content thats on the web. So if you want to share pictures to it, or play a song -- that picture or song needs to be part of your Picasaweb/G+ album, and that song needs to be part of your Google Play collection thats been uploaded to the cloud.
- This might change later, with certain programs enabling your phone to be the server that pushes the files to Chromecast; but it will probably never be exactly like AirPlay.

EDIT: Just found this (source)
Google / Android TV project-chromecastfinal.png

Chromecast does also have some unique advantages because of the way it works. For example :
- You can turn off your device (to save battery) once you begin streaming.
- You can use your device to do something else after you start streaming.
- Multiple people/devices can add videos to the same youtube queue (if i'm not mistaken). Great for group youtube sessions / playlists.
- The person who started the stream can leave the building, and it will still play.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th July 2013 at 16:07.
Old 25th July 2013, 17:22   #45
Team-BHP Support

Chromecast Update:

Quote:
Anyway, I do have one tip for you, if you visit this link: c:/ in your chrome window you can play stuff off your computer
Source

cya
R

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks