Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2013, 14:22   #46
BHPian

re: Google / Android TV project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
What you need to know about Chromecast is that it is NOT like "AirPlay".

Apple's Airplay:
- Mirrors your screen and audio in real-time.
- Minimal lag, so you can play some slow-moving games, broadcast you using drawing apps, etc

Google's Chromecast:
- Main device sends a LINK to the chromecast device, which then opens it up.
- You can still do things like pause, queue, etc via the phone
- If you're familiar with Chrome-to-Phone, this is kinda like Phone-to-Chomecast
- Note that chromecast currently can only play content thats on the web. So if you want to share pictures to it, or play a song -- that picture or song needs to be part of your Picasaweb/G+ album, and that song needs to be part of your Google Play collection thats been uploaded to the cloud.
- This might change later, with certain programs enabling your phone to be the server that pushes the files to Chromecast; but it will probably never be exactly like AirPlay.

cya
R
Thanks a lot, Rehaan! That was very helpful and informative, indeed!!!
Old 8th August 2013, 09:57   #47
BHPian

Here's more interesting info on how to stream local content: http://readwrite.com/2013/07/30/chro...odTwU7iHXcxwj2
Old 15th August 2013, 00:22   #48
BHPian

Finally got the Chromecast with the Netflix deal! Its an awesome little toy to play with.
Old 15th August 2013, 00:39   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Finally got the Chromecast with the Netflix deal! Its an awesome little toy to play with.
Wow! That's great. Please do share your experience with it.
Old 16th August 2013, 15:12   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it currently in stock anywhere in the US?? Am trying to have a friend pick one up for me, but delivery timelines seem dodgy.

cya
R
Old 17th August 2013, 04:20   #51
BHPian

Congrats Ajit ji,
I wanted this but haven't decided if it fits my need.
Anyway having a thread here on T-BHP will certainly help all us gizmo lovers to know it more easily.

I've a 32 inch stupid LCD TV, which doesn't has a USB or wifi, its a sony :-)
Instead of buying a DVD player, or a Media player I always wanted this MK 808 type device, may be more options to play with android and being root user for 2+ years on such phones.

But I am confused with the available options to play a video off a computer which would be on Same LAN, or a USB DISK.

my actual confusion is, how would I make use of Wireless keyboard and the media containing device as there's only 1 USB port available.

Assuming this device is powered from HDMI port Itself.

Sorry for being extremely newbie on the above questions, haven't found anyone using it in my small town/friend circle yet.
Old 18th August 2013, 12:37   #52
BHPian

The device will be powered by usb port or power adapter. Smartphone connected to same wifi network work as keyboard and mouse. You can also buy a dedicated air mouse remote for the device.
Old 20th August 2013, 12:38   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
But I am confused with the available options to play a video off a computer which would be on Same LAN, or a USB DISK.
If the movie is on a shared folder, you'll need to navigate to it via a file explorer app, and then it will play.

If the movie is on a computer which has some sort of media server running (eg. Plex), then you just need to open the Plex app on your android-stick-pc.

Quote:
my actual confusion is, how would I make use of Wireless keyboard and the media containing device as there's only 1 USB port available.
Some of these (eg. the TimingPower one i linked to earlier) have bluetooth built in. You can use a bluetooth keyboard mouse, and have the big USB port free for a USB hard drive.

Alternatively, i *think* you can use a powered USB HUB. This takes one USB port and makes it 4 or 8.

Quote:
Chromecast is/can be, but these android PCs are not. There is a micro-USB input where you plug in a power supply (same ones as you use to charge your android smart phone). Depending on the android PC you use, make sure the charger you use has a high enough output (mA / Amps), else you will face issues.

cya
R
Old 20th August 2013, 13:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
...But I am confused with the available options to play a video off a computer which would be on Same LAN, or a USB DISK.

Sorry for being extremely newbie on the above questions, haven't found anyone using it in my small town/friend circle yet.
No need to be sorry

As for the USB question, the MK808B actually has 3 USB ports. Only one of these is a host type of port but you can connect a USB hub and use multiple devices. (I have a Belkin 4-port passive hub, to which I have connected the Keyboard wireless receiver, a 1TB external HDD and a webcam). Either of the remaining (mini)USB ports can be used for power - either from your TV or from an external adapter. The device I bought came with its own adapter. If you use a different one, make sure that it can supply at least 2A of current - especially if you're planning to use power hungry devices such as external HDDs

As far as I know HDMI ports do not supply power. Even if your TV had a USB port, it would probably not supply more than 500mA which is not enough to run this device stably. The best solution is to use the adapter.
Old 20th August 2013, 13:41   #55
BHPian

By the way, I think I've arrived at the most stable configuration after trying various different kernels. The best one seems to be Finless 1.7 (available from the freaktab forum). This is based on Android 4.1.1 (ICS) and is rooted, with a lot of the unnecessary apps removed. Advantages of using this are:
1. It's the stablest of the three that I have used so far (stock 4.2, Finless 4.2 and this one)
2. The device runs cooler than with the others and I'm confident enough that it wont overheat to leave it on 24x7.
3. Most of the apps work well including Netflix, Crackle, Pandora, Vevo, Google Earth, YouTube, TED etc.

I've also installed CWM recovery which allows you to do many things including make a backup of your entire environment and restore from that backup in case of a crash.
Old 24th August 2013, 08:33   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Is it currently in stock anywhere in the US?? Am trying to have a friend pick one up for me, but delivery timelines seem dodgy.

cya
R
Sorry for the delayed response. Best buy is your best bet, it keeps coming in and out of stock there, also might luck out at a store - like I did. The 3 months free netflix makes it a good buy.

Quote:

Chromecast is/can be, but these android PCs are not. There is a micro-USB input where you plug in a power supply (same ones as you use to charge your android smart phone). Depending on the android PC you use, make sure the charger you use has a high enough output (mA / Amps), else you will face issues.

cya
R
Even the chromecast is USB powered, through micro USB. But the small package is impressive, it comes with the cable and the wall charger as well.

Well for me, the chromecast novelty is kinda wearing off, was pretty excited when I got it. I hope google launches some more apps for it.

I also have a roku 2 xs and used to have an android stick dual core RK3066 (its pretty good BTW), so I am not too impressed with it.
Old 25th August 2013, 21:24   #57
Team-BHP Support

For those with smart TVs : chromecast like functionality for YouTube is built in !!
READ MORE HERE

Quote:
Even the chromecast is USB powered, through micro USB.
Yes, but as far as i know, it can be powered only via HDMI too (?).

Had a friend check BestBuy, but no luck :(

cya
R
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:22   #58
BHPian

I am planning to buy one of these. Now a days, MK908 (Quad core) units are available on ebay.in in plenty.

Example -

1. Tronsmart (Rs. 9999) - http://www.ebay.in/itm/Tronsmart-MK9...t_27351wt_1163

2. Generic (RS. 5500-6000)- http://www.ebay.in/itm/Android-Mini-...ht_3727wt_1163

Feature wise they look pretty much the same, give and take one extra USB port.

I need advice on which one to buy. I want to buy the one which has largest community support (Meaning plenty of roms and kernels to flash).

Also, please advise on the best remote to buy for typing and playing little bit of games on it. Somewhere on the net I read that these devices work with XBOX wireless controllers. Can these devices work with Wii type remotes?

How does the Droidmote thing work? Is it possible to do texting, emailing etc with this?

I have a tata Safari which has two DVD player screens, and I have never used them. In fact after scrapping the waste alpine HU, they aren't even connected to anything. Is it possible to use these screens as monitors and rig up a carputer using the Google Stick and a remote?

Are there any models which can swallow a 3G sim card and make it networthy on the go? The Wifi tethering of android phones are good, but don't really give much speed.

Last edited by sen2009 : 2nd September 2013 at 11:34. Reason: Adding One more query
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:06   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post

Are there any models which can swallow a 3G sim card and make it networthy on the go? The Wifi tethering of android phones are good, but don't really give much speed.
Maybe you could hookup a USB internet dongle like Tata Photon+? I think some people have managed to do this successfully.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Maybe you could hookup a USB internet dongle like Tata Photon+? I think some people have managed to do this successfully.
Yeah, if that works, then it will be a good solutions. I have a few unlocked datacards lying around.

Please also help me with the other questions. Thanks a lot in advance and also retrospect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks