Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 12:11   #91
BHPian

re: Google / Android TV project

Agree with the above comments. Perhaps a more appropriate title for this thread would be "Android TV project" since Google TV implies using certain specific hardware platforms.

nkg77: Does the Vizio Co-star box that you have linked to allow you overlay web content on top of existing HDMI input from your cable or satellite box? Not clear from the website but if it does then that's a neat solution.

The best way to think about these devices is as a replacement to a tablet for certain applications where a big screen improves user experience. So far I've found it most useful for:
  1. Watching online TV shows and movies (Netflix, Youtube, Crackle)
  2. Internet Radio and music videos (Pandora, Vevo)
  3. Looking at photos with the family, especially looking at photos that are stored on a phone via a DLNA link app
  4. Browsing certain types of websites where keyboard input is less compared to mouse input e.g. online shopping, travel (tripadvisor etc.)
I've also tried other apps but have not found them to be very useful in the current setup like:
  1. Google Earth - the images look good but not easy to control esp. zoom-in / zoom-out
  2. Facebook - it runs the tablet version of the app which is better for close-up viewing IMO
  3. Websites that use a lot of flash animations
  4. Reading - eBooks, PDF etc. - Not easy on the eyes for long periods, and also risk of image persistence / burn-in
Old 24th January 2014, 14:15   #92
Senior - BHPian

Re: Google / Android TV project

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
Agree with the above comments. Perhaps a more appropriate title for this thread would be "Android TV project" since Google TV implies using certain specific hardware platforms.

nkg77: Does the Vizio Co-star box that you have linked to allow you overlay web content on top of existing HDMI input from your cable or satellite box? Not clear from the website but if it does then that's a neat solution.

The best way to think about these devices is as a replacement to a tablet for certain applications where a big screen improves user experience. So far I've found it most useful for:
  1. Watching online TV shows and movies (Netflix, Youtube, Crackle)
  2. Internet Radio and music videos (Pandora, Vevo)
  3. Looking at photos with the family, especially looking at photos that are stored on a phone via a DLNA link app
  4. Browsing certain types of websites where keyboard input is less compared to mouse input e.g. online shopping, travel (tripadvisor etc.)
I've also tried other apps but have not found them to be very useful in the current setup like:
  1. Google Earth - the images look good but not easy to control esp. zoom-in / zoom-out
  2. Facebook - it runs the tablet version of the app which is better for close-up viewing IMO
  3. Websites that use a lot of flash animations
  4. Reading - eBooks, PDF etc. - Not easy on the eyes for long periods, and also risk of image persistence / burn-in
Quoting you to seek your attention !

I have this mk808b stick since last 3-4 months now. As I am looking out for a 5.1 system, I am curious to know if you are able to get DTS sound of of this stick. I went though search results for this and looks like there is no HDMI pass through available for this stick.

Do you have any idea about this ?
Old 24th January 2014, 14:23   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Quoting you to seek your attention !

I have this mk808b stick since last 3-4 months now. As I am looking out for a 5.1 system, I am curious to know if you are able to get DTS sound of of this stick. I went though search results for this and looks like there is no HDMI pass through available for this stick.

Do you have any idea about this ?
Hmm... In my case I take the TOSLINK output of the TV, route that to a stereo DAC and then to a 5.1 system. (Which means obviously I'm not getting real 5.1 output at all). I think you should be able to get 5.1 out of the stick though, if you connect it directly to your AVR. Provided that the content itself is 5.1 encoded of course.
Old 24th January 2014, 14:57   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm... In my case I take the TOSLINK output of the TV, route that to a stereo DAC and then to a 5.1 system. (Which means obviously I'm not getting real 5.1 output at all). I think you should be able to get 5.1 out of the stick though, if you connect it directly to your AVR. Provided that the content itself is 5.1 encoded of course.
Looks like it does not support HDMI pass through. So essentially, it decoded the DTS sound and converts it to 2 channel before sending out to AVR/TV.

There is some fix given for mk808b original ROM, not sure if we can install that on our mk808b device.
Old 24th January 2014, 15:29   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Looks like it does not support HDMI pass through. So essentially, it decoded the DTS sound and converts it to 2 channel before sending out to AVR/TV.

There is some fix given for mk808b original ROM, not sure if we can install that on our mk808b device.
You can install the Mk808b stock ROM if you like it. Just curious, what ROM are you using now? The stock ROM has a lot of bloatware though, and it is not rooted.
Old 24th January 2014, 15:39   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can install the Mk808b stock ROM if you like it. Just curious, what ROM are you using now? The stock ROM has a lot of bloatware though, and it is not rooted.
Using the stock ROM. Under sound all I can see if Rockchip. People have reported to see multiple options over there (5.1 etc). Which ROM are you using?
Old 24th January 2014, 15:49   #97
BHPian

I'm using Finless 1.7 with the 720p kernel. This is an Android 4.1.x based ROM. Previously I tried Finless 2.1 - which is based on Android 4.2.x but it does not work well with Netflix. I also tried using the stock ROM initially but had issues with video / audio sync when viewing 1080p content. I'll check again when I get home but I think there aren't any sound options other than Rockchip.
Old 11th February 2014, 15:40   #98
Senior - BHPian

Guys a question. If I was to use the MK808B, can I use XBMC media player to stream videos and music from the computer on the same network to the television? How is the XBMC app? Does it have as much functionality and eye-candy as the XBMC Media player on the computer?
Old 11th April 2014, 13:59   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys a question. If I was to use the MK808B, can I use XBMC media player to stream videos and music from the computer on the same network to the television? How is the XBMC app? Does it have as much functionality and eye-candy as the XBMC Media player on the computer?
Should be possible I guess. You'll need some client app running on the MK808 to receive the stream. You could also run the android version of xbmc on the MK808b itself. I tried this out and it worked. No idea about the Windows version though, so can't compare the two.
Old 16th April 2014, 13:51   #100
Senior - BHPian

I have a 32 inch Sony LED TV with HDMI and USB. What do I want is to play movies from my PC to TV, and playing youtube videos directly. Now, I have come down to Raspberry Pi anbd Android Stick. Which of these would be good enough to watch youtube and other videos off internet and also play content via PC or android mobile (w or w/o wired connection)?
Old 17th June 2015, 12:52   #101
Senior - BHPian

"Make your TV smart" devices

Perhaps we have talked / written about this in other threads, but I couldn't find a directed discussion about this topic, which I feel will certainly dominate in the times to come (more than the inbuilt smart TV).

I had always wondered why can't I use my smart phone to connect to the dumb TV and get large screen as well as large audio experience. Which means the smart phone should come with Digital and Analog video, and similarly Digital and analog audio. Basically multiple AV ports ... very similar to a DVD player. Or a VCR of yesteryear's.

Of course the size of a smart phone does not make it possible to host so many ports. Though I am sure that processing horsepower wise it has sufficient might to perform its media player duties.

I am not aware if there are indeed solutions to directly connect your phone (using the micro USB port) to the TV.
But what I am aware of are the following things in the market today:
1. Amkette EvoTV. http://evotv.amkette.com/whtis-evo-tv.php
2. Google Chromecast. https://www.google.co.in/chrome/devices/chromecast/
3. Teewe. http://teewe.in/
4. Asus Oplay. https://www.asus.com/in/multimedia/

There must be many more, and I invite all of you to please quip in.
Specifically what I would be looking at are the advantages and disadvantaged of each of these.

I can see that Chromecast and Teewe will fall short of my expectation because of no dedicated Audio out.
Asus doesn't mention the Operating system on it's website - but otherwise ticks a lot of boxes especially on connectivity.
EvoTV says it is an android device, so it is exactly like using your mobile (apps) connected to the TV

Of course the added advantage with Asus and Amkette devices is that you can connect them to any storage media (like flash USB, external Harddisk, LAN, wLAN etc)

Last edited by alpha1 : 17th June 2015 at 12:59.
Old 17th June 2015, 13:06   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: "Make your TV smart" devices

In my Sony Ion, there were two ports, a micro USB, AND a Mini HDMI.
The I had a mini HDMI to HDMI converter, and used it to connect the phone to the TVs in hotels, and voila!
I dont think many phones carry this feature. At least, I have not seen any mainstream device have this.

Apart from chrome cast and the rest, there are android PCs which connect to your HDMI port, and you use a wireless keyboard to use, basically a 42" tablet.
Starting at 20usd on aliexpress.
Old 17th June 2015, 13:59   #103
BHPian

I have been using the Evo TV for a while and XBMC/Kodi with Genesis is a must have. The amount of content on that is superb.

I have also tried out Xiaomi's latest TV box and its head and shoulders above the Evo TV in terms of speed and loading times. In fact its even cheaper, if bought through Aliexpress.

One thing is for sure, once you install these your TV usage pattern will change immensly.
Old 17th June 2015, 14:11   #104
BHPian

Here's my thread on the subject: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...v-project.html I've upgraded from this over the past year and a half but have been enjoying uninterrupted service with this system. In fact we rarely watch DTH TV any more now that this system is in place.
Old 17th June 2015, 14:48   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been using 3 Chromecasts for the last year to connect my 2 LED TVs plus my Yamaha home theatre using apps like BubbleUPNP, Plex and Allcast.

Works very well for me at least. Key is to own a powerful router(s) that ensures seamless coverage across your flat/house. Plus of course a quick broadband connection :-)

Most Viewed