Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2006, 17:31   #1
Team-BHP Support

How is DELL support in India

Does anyone have first hand experience with DELL computer purchase and support service in India. I am about a buy DELL computer for the first time in India and wanted some feedback.
Old 31st May 2006, 17:56   #2
BHPian

It's good...Make sure you have enough warranty coverage with your computer, take an NBD (Next Business Day) warranty...
If it's a laptop that you are buying go for latitude series ....
I guess you know that Dell is Direct, when it comes to Support you got to make some support calls first... though u have availed any types of warranty...

....chill i'm an Ex-Dellite!!
Old 31st May 2006, 18:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Does anyone have first hand experience with DELL computer purchase and support service in India. I am about a buy DELL computer for the first time in India and wanted some feedback.
In one word... Excellent! At work I have Latitude laptop (first an LS, now D410) and Dell provided extraordinary, no-questions-asked service, though very rarely required. Three years back, a strange noise was coming from under the laptop. The next day I was to leave for Bangkok and I called Dell 1-600 at B'lore and explained my situation. He asked me to keep the mouthpiece close to the source and diagnosed as coming from the fan! He said he was arranging for a replacement next morning. Surprise... the next morning the service engineer replaced the fan as well as the hard disk, saying that he did not want to put me at risk at the meeting in Bangkok!

After such an experience, I replaced my ageing Compaq Presario at home with a Dell Dimension 8300 with a 3-year comprehensive warranty. It's 2½ years now... I've not needed to call them even once...

I've heard some calling Dell's hell, but for me... it's swell Dell!!!
Old 31st May 2006, 19:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys, good to know this. My US office is completely a DELL shop. I switched it to DELL in 1999 after having some problem with local PC provider. I have personally purchased more than 25 DELL servers/Desktops/laptops and even racks. I have been very happy with their service in USA. However, in India my office has become a kichdi of IBM & HP. Recently I checked DELL products and I found them much better in features and price. Therefore I am thinking of trying DELL.
Old 31st May 2006, 20:19   #5
BHPian

One reason why they have not done well in India is that they make their customers troubleshoot, that's not what we have experienced with other Mfrs...others have a strong distributors-sales-service network...
...which is why they can be competetive with pricing than others...
Old 31st May 2006, 20:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

i have 2 DELL notebooks....inspiron 5160 and inspiron 8000. WORST SYSTEMS IN THE WORLD! pathetic troubleshooting, pathetic customer orientation, just everthing pathetic. imagine my notebook going 5th time to their service-center for same problem....and TOP of it, everytime they include a certificate being working properly and guarnteed for 6 months. i'll go for sony vaio instead!

Last edited by panky12345 : 31st May 2006 at 20:57.
Old 31st May 2006, 21:44   #7
Team-BHP Support

Well, I wouldn't consider DELL for notebooks, they are only good at desktops and servers. The best notebooks were from IBM, now may be Toshiba.
Old 31st May 2006, 22:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

DELL notebooks aint good. Two of my close friends haev those and tehy overheat after a period of time coz of teh fan getting clogged with dust! I remember teasing them when they used table fans as tables to keep their laps!
Old 31st May 2006, 23:33   #9
BHPian

I have a Dimension 8400 and found their Support excellent. Everything is handled on email and phone. I had a CPU burn out once and they replaced the CPU. After 1.5 years my 19" monitor gave in and they replaced it. The replaced monitor was not good and so they replaced it yet again. Am not satisfied with this replacement monitor too and am planning to get them to change it again. Good thing is that one can extend the warranty every year.
Old 1st June 2006, 00:19   #10
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
DELL notebooks aint good. Two of my close friends haev those and tehy overheat after a period of time coz of teh fan getting clogged with dust! I remember teasing them when they used table fans as tables to keep their laps!
Does this Mean the other Brand's Dont have FAN or Dont Attract Dust ...
Old 1st June 2006, 00:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Dell notebooks for the past 3 years and their service has always been exemplary. Would highly recommend them for your next purchase.
Old 1st June 2006, 03:56   #12
BHPian

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 notebook, and touchwood....no problems whatsoever!! had it for about 11 months now. Whatever little help i've needed for customer support has all been online and I must say there service is awesome! I would definitely recommend a Dell to anyone around.
Old 1st June 2006, 04:08   #13
BHPian

me 'aint sure about the tech service with dell.
I have a compaq desktop, service is much better than expected.
Me a serious fan of compaq since 1996.
HP Compaq is any day better....
Jai
Old 1st June 2006, 05:36   #14
Team-BHP Support

I am planning to get a notebook from the US. Wanted to go AMD, but the 500$ discounts on DELL over here are too tempting. A dual core 60GB for 599/699 etc.,
So I was wondering wether their warranty is valid worldwide or not?
Old 1st June 2006, 08:14   #15
BHPian

WELL 3 of my cousins have dell since 2 years didnt have to call dell even once...
well they use to call me...lol

my friend is also using dell laptop atitude since 7 months no issue...

jkdas DELL notebooks aint good. Two of my close friends haev those and tehy overheat after a period of time coz of teh fan getting clogged with dust! I remember teasing them when they used table fans as tables to keep their laps! ****

2 of my room mate's are using 2 IBM laptop and i shoud let you know it becomes very hot.
if you put it on ur lap for a long time ur gone for a toss...your lap becomes red...

i use to work for DELL i know how their products are....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed