Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 04:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Google Latitude: Rest in Peace

So Google has decided to retire Latitude.
As an active user of latitude till date,i am surprised by this move.
Have used it extensively on Long drives with a large group for tracking.
It will now be integrated into Google+.Along with it,make available offline option for maps would be stopped as well,so we will have to rely on data plans for navigation.

More details here
http://www.intomobile.com/2013/07/10...e-its-map-app/
Old 11th July 2013, 10:48   #2
BANNED

re: Google Latitude: Rest in Peace

Thanks God I never used latitude. I am still struggling to find out alternatives to Google Reader.
Make available offline option is available as Easter egg (typing "OK maps" in search box). Ridiculous.
Old 11th July 2013, 12:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Use Feedly for your RSS. Quite a few compatible apps available for Apple and Android phones. Feeddemon (Windows) released a Google-free version since he's not developing it anymore, and for free.
Old 11th July 2013, 12:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

There is a free app for iOS - Find my Friend. But this works between apple devices only. Wish it worked on cross platforms.
Old 11th July 2013, 13:35   #5
BHPian

I have never ever used Latitude tbh. I have used G+ check in a couple of times though, but mostly use Foursquare.

OT: Offline mods for GMaps is still available through an Easter Egg. Zoom IN/OUT to whatever region you want to save and type Ok maps in the search bar. That area will be saved. Also, offline navigation was never a feature. Caching a section of map was there, but navigation always required internet.
Old 11th July 2013, 13:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Use Feedly for your RSS. Quite a few compatible apps available for Apple and Android phones. Feeddemon (Windows) released a Google-free version since he's not developing it anymore, and for free.
Hey buddy, thats about RSS Feed reader "Google Reader". Google is burying that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
So Google has decided to retire Latitude.
Have used it extensively on Long drives with a large group for tracking.
It will now be integrated into Google+.
ditto here. That was one great way to track the route taken, and various analytical info of the location during those long drives. Will be missing it badly until Google+ in iOS comes up with this support :(
Old 11th July 2013, 14:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Hey buddy, thats about RSS Feed reader "Google Reader". Google is burying that too

ditto here. That was one great way to track the route taken, and various analytical info of the location during those long drives. Will be missing it badly until Google+ in iOS comes up with this support :(
You might want to check out Feedly, I know Google has already buried Google Reader, the platform and the online reader. Feedly is capable of doing both, along with a bunch of other software.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

I was actively using latitude to see my wife's position on the map when she is out on her bike. It was immensely helpful for me as once her bike broke down and she was kind of lost but then I could help her get to the nearest point and take an auto to my office.

Seems apps which are using Latitude/location reporting APIs would also die similar death since the APIs are also being closed.

G+ would be the only way for location sharing going ahead.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:09   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You might want to check out Feedly, I know Google has already buried Google Reader, the platform and the online reader. Feedly is capable of doing both, along with a bunch of other software.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. But I was completely surprised to read this nowhere in the Feedly app description. See this. Am i referring to the right application? Or missing something?
Old 11th July 2013, 14:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

If you're using iOS, use Newsify with Feedly. Install Newsify using the App store and it will automatically ask you to import your RSS feeds from Google. Once done, it will sync those feeds using Feedly instead of Google's platform.

https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/news...510153374?mt=8

PS: Digg has also done the same with their app and website. Import your RSS feeds into Digg using an OPML file or by giving Digg your Google account's permissions. And Digg also has an iOS app that works in the same way.

Last edited by pranavt : 11th July 2013 at 14:17.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:23   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes @Pranavt. I get that. I am still confused about RSS feed and Location Tracking related to Newsify and Feedly. Neither Newsify nor Feedly seems to be allowing location tracking the way Google Latitude does. I am referring to this for - newsify

Unless I am referring to the wrong alternatives, I think I am making some mistake here.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

I was talking to ottocycle about alternatives for his RSS reader issue. This has nothing to do with Latitude or location tracking. Besides, why would anyone want their location to be tracked by a third party that's handing over everything to the US government?
Old 11th July 2013, 14:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sad news indeed.I got a mail from google today informing me about it. They will retire Google Latitude from August 9th.

I was using it on and off to track my friends on long road trips. I wonder why they are phasing it out.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:54   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was talking to ottocycle about alternatives for his RSS reader issue. This has nothing to do with Latitude or location tracking. Besides, why would anyone want their location to be tracked by a third party that's handing over everything to the US government?
Got you @pavant! All I used latitude is for knowing which route we took and look at it later to understand if that was something we can recommend to others. And oh, by the way, my best friend uses it on his phone to let his family know about where he is while on long drives without them if at all. It avoids him from getting calls to find out where he is or how things are. And on the whole privacy issue and governments, its a larger topic.

The settings in latitude used to allow me to selectively share my location with the people I wanted to. And I am never concerned about governments knowing my location. Better they stay away from my tax money being wasted Others would certainly differ on that though!
Old 26th July 2013, 22:50   #15
BHPian

Has anybody tried PlaceMe for iOS. This is a fantastic alternative to Google places & LocateMe, both of which I used before. It puts a pin at every place u stop for over 5 mins, and you can choose your POI or alternately mark it Private. Shows your timeline and place list, so u have details on how many times you went to the gym or fuel station etc. Only downside seems to be poor battery life on my 3GS. The 4S seems to be relatively unaffected though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks