Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 10:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Samuri try contacting Sam Bhai or Ajay Bhai for the same..they will hook you up..

And if possible try sourcing Belden. Our fellow BHPIAN Harsh87 used the same for his house. He might give you some contacts.
Old 13th April 2009, 11:21   #17
BHPian

Kimber would be another excellent cable choice. A2V ( i guess its at Juhu in Bombay ) deals with Kimber. QED.Chord are other brands available in India. All excellent cables/IC's. Although Kimber Is my personal favourite and what I use . Reasonably priced and excellent VFM IMO.
Old 13th April 2009, 11:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

sk what are the prices for different size kimber/chord cable in India
Old 13th April 2009, 11:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What are the common HT speaker wire makes with decent performance and available in most electonics shops in India?

I can't try for the best brand of cable because I don't live near any cities. My house in under renovation, the painter is waiting to start his work, but I need to finish the cabling first. So, I don't have much time on hand.
The most common speaker wires available in India are unfortunately, the worst. Please don't buy speaker cable from electrical shops. They sell very pathetic cables.

A good VFM speaker cable option that will work with even upto mid-end HT setups, is a Chinese brand called Showa. I think it costs about Rs. 55-60 per meter for 16 AWG and is totally worth the price.
Old 13th April 2009, 11:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
sk what are the prices for different size kimber/chord cable in India
I dont know Chord prices off hand.. but Kimber varies from 155/running ft ( 4 PR) to 1000/running ft ( 8TC) for speaker cables depending on speaker gauge and quality. Interconnects are from 4000/meter ( Tonik 1 mtr ) to 24000/mtr for the SSE 147 i Mtr. Pretty nice cables for the money.
Prices could be higher now due to currency hikes . These are about 1 yr old prices.
Chord should be similarly priced +-10-20%

IF one is on a budget he could compromise on cheaper speaker cables but I would not compromise on Interconnects . Try going for a good brand ( definetly avoid out of the box interconnects which are available free from shops ).

Last edited by sk456 : 13th April 2009 at 12:08.
Old 13th April 2009, 12:50   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
I dont know Chord prices off hand.. but Kimber varies from 155/running ft ( 4 PR) to 1000/running ft ( 8TC) for speaker cables depending on speaker gauge and quality. Interconnects are from 4000/meter ( Tonik 1 mtr ) to 24000/mtr for the SSE 147 i Mtr. Pretty nice cables for the money.
Yikes, my budget is not above 200bucks a meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
IF one is on a budget he could compromise on cheaper speaker cables but I would not compromise on Interconnects.
I already have both optical and coaxial interconnects from acoustic research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
The most common speaker wires available in India are unfortunately, the worst. Please don't buy speaker cable from electrical shops. They sell very pathetic cables.
That eliminates the local option I guess.
Old 13th April 2009, 13:19   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yikes, my budget is not above 200bucks a meter.
Quote:
A good VFM speaker cable option that will work with even upto mid-end HT setups, is a Chinese brand called Showa. I think it costs about Rs. 55-60 per meter for 16 AWG and is totally worth the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Samuri try contacting Sam Bhai or Ajay Bhai for the same..they will hook you up...
Samu, Get the Sommer cable. It sells for about 150-160/meter. I think the list price is 190/meter. I use it for all my long distance less critical applications (my sister's HT - KEF KHT3005 is wired with this).

"Sam Bhai's" company sells vdH. I dont think vdH is in your price range unless you get some very nice discounts.

Another option is Belden's PureAV Silver Series but I dont know anyone in India who stock it yet.
Old 13th April 2009, 13:24   #23
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Navin, I think Sommer should do fine, it fits nicely into my budget. Since I am no audiophile, mine can be considered non-critical setup.
Old 13th April 2009, 13:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Samu, Get the Sommer cable. It sells for about 150-160/meter. I think the list price is 190/meter. I use it for all my long distance less critical applications (my sister's HT - KEF KHT3005 is wired with this).
For his equipment, Sommer's entry level speaker cable which is in the range of about Rs. 100/- a meter will also suffice.

Or he could get something like Supra for the fronts and center and run cheaper cable to the surrounds. vdH, Chord etc are too high end for the application.
Old 13th April 2009, 16:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

How about DAC? Do they make decent cables for entry level applications?
Designer Audio - Products

As of late last year entry level speaker wires prices:
12 gauge was around Rs. 102/m
14 gauge was around Rs. 76/m
16 gauge was around Rs. 46/m

Interconnects around Rs. 800-1300

You could mail them, ask for a price list and order.
Old 13th April 2009, 16:22   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For his equipment, Sommer's entry level speaker cable which is in the range of about Rs. 100/- a meter will also suffice.

Or he could get something like Supra for the fronts and center and run cheaper cable to the surrounds. vdH, Chord etc are too high end for the application.
Actually I found the entry level cable a bit thin. For longer runs I'd prefer a heavier gauge.
Old 13th April 2009, 18:33   #27
Team-BHP Support

I have decided to go with Showa cable. It is 16 AWG, i.e. 1.3 sq. mm. It is pure OFC copper, not CCAW. And corrosion resistant.
Old 13th April 2009, 21:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
not CCAW. And corrosion resistant.
What is CCAW and how does it differ from OFC?
I am doubtful whether the word "resistant" really means anything at all (generally speaking, nothing specific to cables)
Old 13th April 2009, 22:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

i am not sure but but : ccaw wires are bit different from OFC,ofc wires are made of pure copper and ccaw wire are made of alminium with copper coating on them.

may be i am wrong guru can help.
Old 13th April 2009, 23:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
i am not sure but but : ccaw wires are bit different from OFC,ofc wires are made of pure copper and ccaw wire are made of alminium with copper coating on them.

may be i am wrong guru can help.
Quite close but the copper is not coated it is cladded.

Cladding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Copper-clad aluminum wire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks