Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2014, 18:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The E-Reader (E-Ink) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I recently brought a Kobo Glo, thanks to the posts in Amazon Kindle thread at Team-BHP. Received the device yesterday and the experience is on a different plane altogether compared to reading on my tab \ phone.
-----------------------------------
Once the setup was complete, I side loaded few eBooks I already had (ePub and txt format) and Kobo picked them up once I ejected the device.

The UI is straightforward to use and we can build our own collections (something akin to playlists for songs). This is very useful since all the books I side loaded was getting displayed in a flat manner (no folder structure visible).

The glow feature is very good - the lighting is non intrusive and I did not find any patches - the lighting is even across the surface and reading in dark is effortless.

I want to buy a case for this, but it is not available easily - so planning to order one from AliExpress.

All in all, I am very happy with the purchase.

--Anoop
Hello Anoop, congratulations on the purchase. Yes, I feel it is very much worth the purchase too. A good buy.

Try Calibre - it is very good for managing your book collections and it can handle the memory storage of the Glo also. You can transfer books using Calibre and sync it even. Very good program.

There was one case available on Ebay and Amazon - the Elite Sleek PU Leather Flip Case and I purchased it when it was available - for 800 bucks. Pretty good cause and fits really well. Also, it is possible to shut the case and the reader will go into standby.

EDIT - I see the same case in AliExpress - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Magic...937503708.html

But there seem to be better options there.

Last edited by naveenroy : 15th December 2014 at 18:37.
Old 16th December 2014, 11:10   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hello Anoop, congratulations on the purchase. Yes, I feel it is very much worth the purchase too. A good buy.

Try Calibre - it is very good for managing your book collections and it can handle the memory storage of the Glo also. You can transfer books using Calibre and sync it even. Very good program.

There was one case available on Ebay and Amazon - the Elite Sleek PU Leather Flip Case and I purchased it when it was available - for 800 bucks. Pretty good cause and fits really well. Also, it is possible to shut the case and the reader will go into standby.

EDIT - I see the same case in AliExpress - http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Magic...937503708.html

But there seem to be better options there.
Thank you Naveen.

I have Calibre installed but have been using it only for format conversions till now - thank youf or the tip. I will try managing my Glo with Calibre.

I did see the case earlier in eBay, but did not want to buy it before I got my Glo :(

I brought the exact same case, from the same seller in AliExpress.

I have brought the blue color (the first one in the picture) and the cost was 615 INR.

--Anoop
Old 17th February 2015, 12:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone elucidate why e-ink readers are not recommended for PDF files?
I have mostly PDF files for reading, but it is so darn annoying with the TFT screens - feels like you are staring into a tubelight.

Is it because of the screen size? (PDFs are meant for full size page)
But that can be taken care of by programs like http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

Also since all e-ink readers come with wi-fi, can we browse internet via it?
Again I am only looking at reading stuff, not watching movies or getting irritated with flash ads.

Last edited by alpha1 : 17th February 2015 at 13:00.
Old 17th February 2015, 14:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Can anyone elucidate why e-ink readers are not recommended for PDF files?
Look at this device from Sony, made exclusively for PDF content.

Quote:
Also since all e-ink readers come with wi-fi, can we browse internet via it? Again I am only looking at reading stuff, not watching movies or getting irritated with flash ads.
e-readers are by design not meant for browsing net. For reading internet content on e-readers, use 'Pocket' app on your computer or mobile. The app pushes the content into your e-reader, using WiFi.
http://getpocket.com
Old 18th February 2015, 11:25   #35
BHPian

From my experince of reading pdfs on Kindle paperwhite, it is not very comfortable to navigate across pdfs quickly. Also pdfs are displayed as is and hence if a pdf has been created with paper set to A4 or letter, the content accordingly gets shrinked to fit the screen. So fonts get smaller and reading tougher.

To counter small fonts, if you read pdfs in landscape mode, when you scroll down a page, you tend to have some lines repeated so you lose continuity while reading. If you zoom in to read a page, you cannot move to the next page without zooming out. Repeating this exercise for each page can deprive you of the pleasure of reading.
Old 24th February 2015, 11:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, after much consternation I bought the kindle basic.
My eyes shall remain eternally grateful to me henceforth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

e-readers are by design not meant for browsing net. For reading internet content on e-readers, use 'Pocket' app on your computer or mobile. The app pushes the content into your e-reader, using WiFi.
http://getpocket.com
I understand it after experiencing first hand.
Although I have a firm belief that the Amazon kindle browser can be improved tons - just on the rendering part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
hence if a pdf has been created with paper set to A4 or letter, the content accordingly gets shrinked to fit the screen. So fonts get smaller and reading tougher.
I would agree about the native PDF, but using tools you can "reflow" the pdf such that it is suitable for small screen.
Actually I read quite a lot on mobile phone. So kindle is like 2 times better than phone.
Old 24th February 2015, 15:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, after much consternation I bought the kindle basic.
My eyes shall remain eternally grateful to me henceforth.

I understand it after experiencing first hand.
Although I have a firm belief that the Amazon kindle browser can be improved tons - just on the rendering part.

I would agree about the native PDF, but using tools you can "reflow" the pdf such that it is suitable for small screen.
Actually I read quite a lot on mobile phone. So kindle is like 2 times better than phone.
Can you please provide me with the names of a
couple of tools that can help reflow PDF?
Old 24th February 2015, 18:59   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Can you please provide me with the names of a
couple of tools that can help reflow PDF?
http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/
Check it out. Works great.
Old 24th February 2015, 19:59   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I always look for ePub files for my kobo, but it is NOT as easily available as in PDF format. Also 'calibre' is NOT so good in conversion of files from PDF to ePub format.
Old 2nd March 2015, 13:59   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Seems to be an excellent tool. Thanks for sharing. My eyes cant thank you enough.
Old 2nd March 2015, 18:19   #41
BHPian

Was at Croma store in Pune on Sunday to get a refrigerator. Suddenly eyes fell on a board saying 82% discount which piqued my curosity. To my utter amazement the KOBO Glo had been marked down to INR 1994.
When the sales rep said it the last piece available, my oh my, did I snatch it from the sheld and held it in my hand for half an hour till I got the billing done for the fridge and this. ('my precious' moment)

The reader is quite fantastic, loved the light. Pulled out some classics from Project Gutenberg and enjoying every bit of it.

However quite disappointed with the way it handles PDF's(a rather tricky PDF). No reflow.
So am converting the PDF via K2pdfopt and then running it again through Calibre. Resulting PDF's are just managable though.
Will try installing Koreader soon and see if that helps.
Old 25th March 2015, 19:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that! Will need to check it out tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBull View Post
Was at Croma store in Pune on Sunday to get a refrigerator. Suddenly eyes fell on a board saying 82% discount which piqued my curosity. To my utter amazement the KOBO Glo had been marked down to INR 1994.
Wow, that is an amazing deal! Good to see you like it. I've been using mine for months now and find it awesome.
Old 31st May 2015, 14:55   #43

Recently, I thought of getting myself a Kindle reader. After checking through the online and offline stores, I scrolled through classified listing websites. To my surprise, there were few people who had received those devices as gifts and not used them at all. Although these devices are available at prices lower than the brand new models, but being gifts the bills are not available. So, should I go for them if they are without bill but in a sealed condition? Would there be any way to still have the warranty? Also, if I'm getting an imported paperwhite, should I consider it? Is international warranty applicable on kindle devices?

Last edited by ampere : 31st May 2015 at 14:57. Reason: Formatted post
Old 31st May 2015, 15:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunbagga7 View Post
Would there be any way to still have the warranty? Also, if I'm getting an imported paperwhite, should I consider it? Is international warranty applicable on kindle devices?
Not sure about the warranty part, as Amazon sells Kindle in India itself now. I had bought a Kindle PW long back, when it wasn't available here and (touch wood) never had a problem. There is very little that can go wrong with the E-Ink Readers. Upto you, if the savings are considerable, no problems in getting it from US.
Old 31st May 2015, 17:34   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunbagga7 View Post
Recently, I thought of getting myself a Kindle reader. After checking through the online and offline stores, I scrolled through classified listing websites. To my surprise, there were few people who had received those devices as gifts and not used them at all. Although these devices are available at prices lower than the brand new models, but being gifts the bills are not available. So, should I go for them if they are without bill but in a sealed condition? Would there be any way to still have the warranty? Also, if I'm getting an imported paperwhite, should I consider it? Is international warranty applicable on kindle devices?
I bought myself a Kindle from US when I was in Sweden. I damaged my screen in India when carrying it in my laptop bag due to screen pressure (I didnt have a cover on then).

I timidly asked Amazon anyway if it was replaceable under warranty. They just sent me a new one to India, no questions asked, just disabled the old one in their system.

Thats how amazing their service is; though my experience may be an outlier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks