Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 05:47   #1
BHPian

The E-Reader (E-Ink) Thread

I am in the market for e-ink based e-readers which can render PDF better(PDF Reflow) and also front light option for reading in the dark. I heard much about these below mentioned e-readers on the net. If someone has first hand experience with these e-readers, please share your experience.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666474334

http://www.kobo.com/koboaurahd
Old 5th August 2013, 08:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: The E-Reader (E-Ink) Thread

I think nothing beats Kindle today.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...kindle-22.html
Old 5th August 2013, 08:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think nothing beats Kindle today.
The kindle is not so well known for handling PDF files, one of the features i am looking out for. They are also locked for .mobi format and do NOT provide option for microSD card storage. Most other readers work on the universal ePUB format. There are rumors of new e-reader releases lined up in this month from Sony and Kobo. Take a look of this Sony e-reader.

Old 5th August 2013, 08:56   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The kindle is not so well known for handling PDF files, one of the features i am looking out for. They are also locked for .mobi format and do NOT provide option for microSD card storage. Most other readers work on the universal ePUB format. There are rumors of new e-reader releases lined up in this month from Sony and Kobo. Take a look of this Sony e-reader.
Agree there. And sorry I did not see the pdf part of your comment. Hence suggested Kindle. Even I dont use the Kindle for PDF reading. What I can suggest is a regular tablet to go with the kindle.

Thats what I do. I use a Nexus 7 for PDFs. It also helps in a sense that any colour material on a Amazon purchased content, I get to read on the tablet rather than kindle. And PDF renders very well on these tablets. But yes, if you need to for heavy duty daily usage, then no idea.
Old 5th August 2013, 09:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The kindle is not so well known for handling PDF files, one of the features i am looking out for.
i have a paperlight kindle the new one bought a few weeks back,can't complain but as you said pdf rendering takes a long time and there is a visible lag between zooming into a single page,besides one pdf page is really difficult to see on such a small screen irrespective of the lag the letters are just too small as compared to an ipad.you should really think twice about this. Epub mobi yes locked in but using calibre software you can convert any format mobi epub pdf and push it into the kindle.
Old 5th August 2013, 09:14   #6
BHPian

I have an old e-Ink Kindle loaded with 100s of books but use Nexus for PDFs & newer books that have color content... for example Travel e-Books of Lonely Planet are way better on the Nexus than the Kindle of course.

Nexus battery life is great, u can also carry a powerpack.. so on long travels this should be more than enough. I wouldnt buy an e-Ink Kindle today, maybe a Kindle Fire that is as good as the Nexus 7.
Old 5th August 2013, 10:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

I am using my Tab to read e-boos for past 6 months and have found that the tab satisfies my needs very well. I use cool reader and it renders PDF, epub and mobi formats without any glitch.

You can customize the backgrounds and the reader comes with a set of day and night profiles. I find the night mode really useful because it helps me to read when everyone is sleeping and you cannot switch on the lights. I usually read 2 – 3 hours a day and find it very comfortable. If you have access to an android tab, give it a try before plonking money to buy a dedicated e-Book reader.

--Anoop
Old 5th August 2013, 10:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats what I do. I use a Nexus 7 for PDFs. It also helps in a sense that any colour material on a Amazon purchased content, I get to read on the tablet rather than kindle. And PDF renders very well on these tablets. But yes, if you need to for heavy duty daily usage, then no idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Epub mobi yes locked in but using calibre software you can convert any format mobi epub pdf and push it into the kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I have an old e-Ink Kindle loaded with 100s of books but use Nexus for PDFs & newer books that have color content... for example Travel e-Books of Lonely Planet are way better on the Nexus than the Kindle of course. Nexus battery life is great, u can also carry a powerpack.. so on long travels this should be more than enough. I wouldnt buy an e-Ink Kindle today, maybe a Kindle Fire that is as good as the Nexus 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I am using my Tab to read e-boos for past 6 months and have found that the tab satisfies my needs very well. I use cool reader and it renders PDF, epub and mobi formats without any glitch.
--Anoop
I feel this is like comparing apples to oranges. I agree, the purpose is the same as to read, on these devices. But e-readers coz of the e-ink technology are easy on your eyes, no glare, and one can read for long hours as against the tablets. They do not have a light source beneath the display, which hits your eyes. The experience is like, as if you are reading a book.

You can read further here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink
Old 5th August 2013, 13:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
i have a paperlight kindle the new one bought a few weeks back,can't complain but as you said pdf rendering takes a long time and there is a visible lag between zooming into a single page,besides one pdf page is really difficult to see on such a small screen
I have a Sony Reader Touch (PRS-600), which is the only eInk reader that I have. The only problem I have with it is that the screen is too reflective - if I don't have the right lighting conditions, I can barely read at all. It is quite good for taking notes though and it has a stylus to write notes with. The responsiveness is a problem too, making it more of a device I would use when I have no other options.

The only large-screen tablet (i.e. not eInk) I was able to find is an ASUS Transformer AiO Desktop-Tablet convertible, which has an 18" screen - it's just perfect for document-viewing, but the price tag is what keeps me away - it costs as much as an ultrabook with a touchscreen, so I'd rather buy the ultrabook instead.

Sony did have a large eInk display tablet, which I think they referred to as the newspaper edition but it wasn't very popular.
Old 5th August 2013, 13:25   #10
BHPian

Linking you to my review on the Nook Simple Touch.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3148405
Old 5th August 2013, 13:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
The only problem I have with it is that the screen is too reflective - if I don't have the right lighting conditions, I can barely read at all.
Kindle, its my first e book reader its good that it has led lights in built on the side. without the backlight on i feel its almost looking at a calculators display and make it quite difficult to read, i can't image using a e book reader without a back light.
Old 6th August 2013, 00:03   #12
BHPian

Re: The E-Reader (E-Ink) Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Linking you to my review on the Nook Simple Touch.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3148405
Thanks for the review!

Nook and Kindle are not so well known for their PDF capabilities. Sony has PDF reflow feature on their readers, but they lack the front light which is needed for reading in dark. I am waiting for this years release of new models, and hopefully sony should debut with front light on PRS-T3. If else, the other option is to go for Kobo Aura HD which has 6.8" screen and seemingly better lighting technology than Kindle paperwhite.
Old 6th August 2013, 17:55   #13
BHPian

I guess Kobo is the best match for your requirements. Personally, I have used 2 generations of kindle, iPad, one Nexus and Samsung S2 for eBook reading.

Nothing beats the comfort of indoor and outdoor reading on e-Ink. Although, my kindle versions had ad-on lighted covers, but paperwhite (and others with built in light) are much better for nighttime/low light reading.

With Kindle, I used their convert facility, where you send an email to your Kindle email ID, and Amazon will send the converted mobi file over wifi to your kindle, and it worked well most of the times.
Old 7th August 2013, 09:06   #14
BHPian

Yep! I am leaning on Kobo and specifically Aura HD the recent model. But would like to see the sony's PRS-T3 announcement, as there are rumors of front light on the device.

I agree, about the comfort of reading long hours on E-Ink devices. But apart from Sony, the others are not so good for PDF experience. BTW, Amazon has started selling the old Kindle DX again. Hope they release a touch model for this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furobiker View Post
I guess Kobo is the best match for your requirements. Personally, I have used 2 generations of kindle, iPad, one Nexus and Samsung S2 for eBook reading.

Nothing beats the comfort of indoor and outdoor reading on e-Ink. Although, my kindle versions had ad-on lighted covers, but paperwhite (and others with built in light) are much better for nighttime/low light reading.

With Kindle, I used their convert facility, where you send an email to your Kindle email ID, and Amazon will send the converted mobi file over wifi to your kindle, and it worked well most of the times.
Old 14th August 2013, 11:20   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Recently bought a Kindle and I can tell you this : For reading books, it blows everything away (from iPads to Galaxys) away to smithereens. Nothing touches it for the reading experience (so paper-esque), bookstore collection (i.e. amazon.com), convenience (small, light & outstanding battery life) and price.

I find Kindle books to be superbly priced. Then, the device itself is so cheap. I got the ad-supported version for $70. Because its so cheap, I'd suggest you get a Kindle either ways for your reading, and something else to handle PDFs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks