Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2013, 20:57   #1
BHPian

Volkswagen SmileDrive Android App

I receive an email from Volkswagen on how the Volkswagen SmileDrive App is now available on Android. Of specific note here is that the app is currently only available for Android which means the app has been specifically designed for Android.

So I head over to the Google Play Store to download the app which is available at https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...PPGOOGLEPLAYLK

Guess what? The app is incompatible with both Google Galaxy Nexus and Google Nexus 7, both of which are Google's flagship devices. Both are running the very latest Android 4.3.

Seriously VW? You create an app specifically for Android devices and you don't make it compatible with Android's flagship devices? What the hell is it then compatible with?

I have now emailed them asking them to correct this using the 'Email Developer' option on the app's page at the Google Play Store.

Last edited by IndianGuardian : 6th August 2013 at 20:58.
Old 7th August 2013, 15:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Volkswagen SmileDrive Android App

Interesting one from Volkswagen. They've gamified the driving experience (and are probably getting some data out of it too).

It works for all cars (not just Volkswagens), but it's available on Android only!

Watch the video to understand what its all about :

Link to app on Google Play

However, the question here is what VALUE ADD does it provide? Nothing that i see, other than imaginary points and badges / scores. If those points or scores translated into something in the real world, it would be more motivational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianGuardian View Post
Guess what? The app is incompatible with both Google Galaxy Nexus and Google Nexus 7, both of which are Google's flagship devices. Both are running the very latest Android 4.3.

Seriously VW? You create an app specifically for Android devices and you don't make it compatible with Android's flagship devices? What the hell is it then compatible with?
Given that 4.3 was released just 2 weeks back, I don't think this is as huge an issue as you make it out to be -- though it's definitely something that should have been planned for and acted on quicker. It's a good thing you contacted them about it - sometimes things like this go unnoticed between big companies and developers. Lets see if they fix it in the coming week...

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th August 2013 at 15:02.
Old 7th August 2013, 15:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen SmileDrive Android App

LOL - "This app is incompatible with your device" "It can't be installed in your country"
Old 7th August 2013, 15:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
"It can't be installed in your country"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianGuardian View Post
I receive an email from Volkswagen...
Was it VW India?

cya
R
Old 7th August 2013, 15:51   #5
BHPian

I didn't get the 'It can't be installed in your country message.' Just the incompatible device message.

Email came from vwinformation@vw.com
Old 8th August 2013, 12:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

These are the app's detail on the Playstore :

Quote:
Volkswagen SmileDrive™
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.

Volkswagen brings you SmileDrive™ -- the first social app to maximize fun on every drive, by using your favorite Google products and services along the way.*

Whether you’re commuting to work or traveling cross-country, SmileDrive records your drives, awards you stickers for unique accomplishments (such as going on a holiday trip or driving on an unusually cold day), and turns road trips into shareable stories. The app can be used with any vehicle, even if it’s not a Volkswagen.

・Easily pairs with your car’s Bluetooth and runs in the background, so you don’t have to worry about activating the app every time you drive.

・You’ll get a Smile Score and drive summary at the end of each ride. The score is based on factors like location, distance, time and weather and you can get things like Stickers or Punches if you unlock achievements.

・For trips versus everyday drives, you can create a Smilecast. Name the trip, tag passengers and share with friends so they can see your route, photos and comments, along the way. When your trip is over, all the data is seamlessly collected into a video you can share.

・There’s also a handy Find My Car feature. Get directions to your vehicle’s last parked location.

To learn more about SmileDrive, go to http://smiledrive.vw.com.

* Driver should not use mobile devices while vehicle is in motion. Always pay careful attention to the road, and do not drive while distracted. SmileDrive app requires compatible Android device. Standard data rates apply.

From the description, and the video, it's best understood that the Smiledrive app has derived from the Waze app - Gamificiation, point system, sharing interests etc.

And yes, the app is not compatible as of today "This app is not compatible with your device's country".

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th August 2013 at 15:36. Reason: Adding quote box

Most Viewed