Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 14:10   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Sygic India GPS Navigation

Yes. Not so good news for people like me who paid 1400Rs for this app. Though, I had bought the license from Sygic.com. They are no longer releasing map update now a days. Last one I received was in November 2012. Customer care doesn't has any idea about the next map update. Probably, MMI has stopped providing update to them. And they have gone free since there is no recurring cost.
Old 27th September 2013, 16:47   #17
BHPian

This seems to be a good option for a road trip where the network signal maybe poor/data charges make it prohibitve

The UI is not to my liking, but its understandable as its meant to be used while driving, overall its seems to be a full blown version, no indications of any features missing.

For routine city use like an occasional lookup of a restaurant, Google Maps will probably trump any other application.

If google can better its offline map saving capacity, then it will be an awesome package.
Old 27th September 2013, 18:12   #18
BHPian

Ive used Sygic extensively in and outside Bangalore city. It is extremely good, accurate and sometimes better than G Maps which is on AGPS.
Old 27th September 2013, 18:38   #19
BHPian

Sygic all the way been using it for two years on the Samsung tab looks much better than google maps , google wins with its poi which is more extensive. Sygic allows me to change routes and it automatically reroutes to the destination where as google wants me to go back to its original route it doesn't reroute unless I cancel the route and renter destination.
Old 27th September 2013, 23:10   #20
BHPian

Downloaded sygic on note 2 not working uninstalled it i think waze for online and osmand for offline are better options
Old 27th September 2013, 23:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinvardhan View Post
Downloaded sygic on note 2 not working uninstalled it i think waze for online and osmand for offline are better options
Downloaded sygic India on my tab 3. Seems to work like a charm so far. Better than google maps as you can easily modify the route too which is not possible with maps.
Old 28th September 2013, 00:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Sygic all the way been using it for two years on the Samsung tab looks much better than google maps , google wins with its poi which is more extensive. Sygic allows me to change routes and it automatically reroutes to the destination where as google wants me to go back to its original route it doesn't reroute unless I cancel the route and renter destination.
Regarding rerouting, I have personally seen that google reroutes as soon as you move offcourse, as long as the GPS is locked in, and I have never had any issues with that(rerouting). I have used it enough number of times too, so I know its a reliable feature.
Old 28th September 2013, 11:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamendangered View Post
Regarding rerouting, I have personally seen that google reroutes as soon as you move offcourse, as long as the GPS is locked in, and I have never had any issues with that(rerouting). I have used it enough number of times too, so I know its a reliable feature.
Well re route doesn't work with the google maps that comes in built with the Samsung tab. Dunno why.
Old 29th September 2013, 02:35   #24
BHPian

Sygic India with MMI maps works well on my HTC Desire. While comparing with google do remember, Sygic is an offline map. You will be able to use in remote locations. MMI has the best maps for India, and they have done extensive survey to make their maps one of the best.

Google navigation needs net connection. It can store map tiles of an area, but will still need data connection to find route.

Waze is my best choice of all. It brings the best of both worlds. Plus it find you usable road and picks the fastest route for daily commute. After latest updates Waze locks onto GPS pretty fast.

I'll recommends keeping Sygic India as a must app for backup in case you are lost with no data connection.

Last edited by HillMan : 29th September 2013 at 02:39.
Old 29th September 2013, 08:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Installed Sygic India on my Samsung Tab2. Its offline maps are ideal for a wifi tablet which has a GPS receiver.

Really liked the maps and the user interface, so went ahead and installed the same on my Samsung Galaxy S Advance too.

God bless Android !

Rohan
Old 29th September 2013, 10:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Installed Sygic India on my Samsung Tab2. ...
Likewise. Of course it gave me a few heart attacks in the process.

1. After installation, it took it's own sweet time to initialize itself, with absolutely no indication of what is happening - just the Sygic icon at the top but otherwise a nice black screen. Landed up killing the running process a couple of times before, in the third attempt, I closely monitored the activity in Task Manager. There was something happening sporadically, so I allowed it to run it's initialization course - took about 12 minutes

2. Typical unthinking UI: The first screen listed a long list of maps of states of India, with a button showing "Available" beside it. So what should one think? That map is downloaded and available in the installation, right? Wrong. There were 2 other items whose button said "Download" (greyed out). The instruction at the top of the screen says "Touch Proceed". Huh? Proceed (bottom right) is greyed out! I accidentally touched one item in the list, an lo and behold - the button beside it said "Download" now, and Proceed now becomes active. Aaaaah! So touched all those rows that I needed, and proceeded to download

Haven't tried navigating with it yet. Lazy Sunday!
Old 29th September 2013, 10:36   #27
BHPian

I am downloading all the maps (all states) in case they start charging/decide to charge extra for maps later
Old 29th September 2013, 10:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
I am downloading all the maps (all states) in case they start charging/decide to charge extra for maps later
They may very well start charging for updating the maps.
The UI takes some getting used to. Some places are shown in the map but very difficult to find it in a search.
Old 29th September 2013, 10:44   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Likewise. Of course it gave me a few heart attacks in the process.
Yup. The UI is nowhere near intuitive. Even the search for address and start navigation is weird and needs time getting used to. But it does seem to know a lot of address and displays multiple routes to choose from.
Old 29th September 2013, 11:17   #30
BHPian

This thread absolutely made my day yesterday! Delayed posting until i did a fresh install (repair) of ICS on my phone, installed and did a small test of sygic.

Was delighted to find that offline maps are now freely available. I have already invested in a garmin nuvi 40 only to run into problems with mounting it on my motorcycle, all due to the weird charging outlet on the back panel! So back to the good old Google maps and their offline navigation blues, until this thread happenned

I was a bit doubtful reading some comments here whether Sygic would work fine on my laggy Xperia U, but since its freeware decided to give it a shot. After a fresh install of Android considerably speeded up things, Sygic installed fuss free and I downloaded maps of entire South India for good measure. Tested the sygic experience on a half hour walk around my residential area. I was a bit skeptical whether offline navigation would work since my phone has only AGPS support. It locked onto signal from 3 gps satellites and still was not proceeding with navigation so i hurried it up a bit by temporarily enabling gprs. The UI was not the most intuitive, Google maps is far easier to get around with. POIs are numerous and it contains much more data than Google maps. It shows upto 3 routes for navigation at a time with the usual options to avoid toll roads, unpaved roads etc. I liked the option to display Traffic alerts when gprs is enabled. I could not get the complete hang of using it during my half hour walk, so i looked up the sygic user guide and it made things seem much more easier.
http://storage.sygic.com/support/use...bile_v3_EN.pdf

One big plus is the offline navigation works. I switched off the data connnection after establishing signal and it tracked my position just fine. I am going to see how it fares when 'Drive to' instead of 'Walk to' is selected. Overall i feel its good but it could be more intuitive. Will definitely use this for my trip next week and post the experience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks