Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 12:18   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Google Maps on Mobile

I dont see this available for iOS . Anyone having updates? wanted to compare this with my MMI device . Waiting for iOS 6 though
Old 7th September 2012, 17:02   #62
BHPian

I have the screen-dimming option set to on, but it still kills the battery.

Yesterday even with the phone on the charger, I lost 40% battery power during a drive that lasted only 1.5 hours.

Ovi Maps and Waze have the night mode that not only saves power, but also renders the screen much easier on the eyes.
Old 10th September 2012, 00:15   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Hi,

I tried out Google's voice navigation for the first time today ....

However, it is a battery killer on my Note, and I need help with one thing:

Is it possible to enable something like Night Mode on navigation and map? This will help to save power as the OLED screen can use less power when it displays a darker color.
It goes to night mode automatically (during night ). I have been using the google maps regularly on the Note and its really useful,
especially with the recent addition of voice feature.

If you have a charging socket on your car, I suggest you go for the OEM Note Vehicle mounting dock. It comes with a charger (so can be used without worrying about Battery drain) and mounts on the windscreen and is sturdy and convenient to view.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 10th September 2012 at 00:18.
Old 10th September 2012, 00:25   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
If you have a charging socket on your car, I suggest you go for the OEM Note Vehicle mounting dock. It comes with a charger (so can be used without worrying about Battery drain) and mounts on the windscreen and is sturdy and convenient to view.
Which is the sad part. I had the vehicle dock, but there was some problem with it: the phone would recognize that it was plugged into the dock but the dock would not charge the phone.

I gave it to the local service center for replacement 2 months ago, but have not received the replacement yet.

The Service Center people did not even recognize the device, and then they told me that I would not get a replacement because - and get this - Samsung does not make it any more so it is not available.

I have called the higher ups and the service center manager and am told that two pieces have arrived but they do not know who they are for. I will check as soon as I get the time.
Old 12th September 2012, 12:20   #65

Google Navigation is really good for city maps and, to some extent, exteriors as well - especially after the voice guidance. But we have to take cognizance of the fact that some of the maps are still incorrect as they are edited and approved by viewers.

One classic example is the SH44 route from Mumbai (via NH3) to Bhandardara. Google Maps shows a road (that is part of first route suggestion) climbing onto Ghatghar through the ridge in the valley. There is no such road on that feature. I have tried correcting it on Google Maps, but the reviewers are clearly not convinced. Imagine the plight of someone who takes this suggested route (through Navigation) and ending up at the foothills with a dead end. It's a long re-route after that to reach Bhandardara.

Haven't tried Ovi Maps yet, but have heard real good reviews about it. Tried another app called NavFree on Android, but it has only the major routes and misses out on a lot of locations.
Old 13th September 2012, 08:43   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@ndr@ke View Post
Google Navigation is really good for city maps and, to some extent, exteriors as well - especially after the voice guidance. But we have to take cognizance of the fact that some of the maps are still incorrect as they are edited and approved by viewers.

One classic example is the SH44 route from Mumbai (via NH3) to Bhandardara. Google Maps shows a road (that is part of first route suggestion) climbing onto Ghatghar through the ridge in the valley. There is no such road on that feature. I have tried correcting it on Google Maps, but the reviewers are clearly not convinced. Imagine the plight of someone who takes this suggested route (through Navigation) and ending up at the foothills with a dead end. It's a long re-route after that to reach Bhandardara.

Haven't tried Ovi Maps yet, but have heard real good reviews about it. Tried another app called NavFree on Android, but it has only the major routes and misses out on a lot of locations.
Try Sygic. It drains battery like anything but has a premium feel to it. Even i also found some of the results inaccurate in Google navigation, particularly names.
Old 18th September 2012, 14:35   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Which is the sad part. I had the vehicle dock, but there was some problem with it .....
I gave it to the local service center for replacement 2 months ago, but have not received the replacement yet.

The Service Center people did not even recognize the device, and then they told me that I would not get a replacement because - and get this - Samsung does not make it any more so it is not available.

Incidentally I had a similar problem with my dock supplied charger, the charger which they supplied with it developed a problem, the phone would display "Charging paused Voltage too high" and would not charge.

I checked the voltage on the charger micro USB pin with a multimeter and it read 12 Volts (instead of the expected 5 Volts). Thankfully the Note had a mechanism to detect the high voltage and would stop charging.

I took it to the Samsung retailer from where I had purchased it and then took it to the service center, but after running around a couple of times nothing moved forward.
I realized that there is not much benefit running behind them after the charger (must have spent more on fuel running around behind them than the cost of the charger). So went ahead and got a seperate Samsung car charger on Flipkart and using the same now.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 18th September 2012 at 14:37.
Old 28th January 2015, 10:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

Phone overheating and shutting down with google maps

I have a LG e970 running a custom ROM - slimkat 4.4.

A few days ago while travelling to Kushalnagar , I kept google maps switched on for about 45 minutes, keeping it charged through a USB car charger. The back of the phone became terribly hot - almost scorching my palm - and it shut itself down.

Overheating while charging is a common problem with gmaps, see for example https://community.republicwireless.com/thread/4839 . This has been reported on iphone as well. Without charging, the battery drains in about 30 minutes so I need to keep it charged.

It's a pity that google can't develop better apps. I've reduced the brightness of the display and it's probably a bit better now.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 28th January 2015 at 10:49.
Old 28th January 2015, 11:52   #69
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone else using Google Maps on iOS found that since the last update, the app does not allow to zoom in during navigation?
Old 28th January 2015, 12:10   #70
Senior - BHPian

Re: Phone overheating and shutting down with google maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Overheating while charging is a common problem with gmaps, see for example https://community.republicwireless.com/thread/4839 . This has been reported on iphone as well. Without charging, the battery drains in about 30 minutes so I need to keep it charged.

It's a pity that google can't develop better apps. I've reduced the brightness of the display and it's probably a bit better now.
I believe it is combination of the device design and the data usage that causes over heating. I drove a whole day through scrotching TN sun with gmaps running in my galaxy nexus and it worked alright. I am mindful to not leave the phone in the closed car with a/c switched off though.
Old 9th May 2016, 12:29   #71
Senior - BHPian

So a new bill has been proposed on creating maps of India. Public comments are also invited through an e-mail id , see the first page in the bill.

A 100 cr fine and jail term of upto 7 years are part of the proposed legislation.

This report examines some of the legal aspects of the proposed bill. I personally think the bill is overdone. In an Internet age , nobody can stop satellite imagery being converted to maps.

PS - Would encourage t-bhp-ians to provide their comments to the mail-id in the proposed draft legislation.

Moderators - Please move this post to another thread , or create a new one , as appropriate.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 9th May 2016 at 12:34.

Most Viewed