Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2013, 08:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Free for iPhone : MapmyIndia App with GPS navigation, house addresses etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
This Map my India application is not the correct one.Its sygic India, and it is still showing up as paid in my phone.

Edit-Sygic India is still paid for IOS users the map my India one is free,and afaik
The opening post by GTO features MapMyIndia App only and not Sygic. Looks like you have been hunting for the wrong App.

Quote:
...it was always free and it's not an offline application,so google maps are still the best.
MapMyIndia on App Store was released only on 22 Oct 2013.
Old 26th October 2013, 09:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
The opening post by GTO features MapMyIndia App only and not Sygic. Looks like you have been hunting for the wrong App. MapMyIndia on App Store was released only on 22 Oct 2013.
Yeah; I was expecting sygic to be free.
This map my India Is actually similar to google maps and requires active data connection.i would stick to google maps.
Old 27th October 2013, 01:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah; I was expecting sygic to be free. ...
TANSTAFL !!!

Quote:
... This map my India Is actually similar to google maps and requires active data connection.i would stick to google maps.
And you would be absolutely correct in doing so. The less said about the MMI app the better. All the map and PoI data is there - yet the interface is RUDIMENTARY. Reminded me of the state of navigation assistance 15 years back! It guides you with a text list, not screen clues or voice guidance. While driving, the map only shows in 2D, with the blue dot tracking your position. One doesn't get any assistance even with turns coming up. No dynamic zoom either. This MMI app is just a map display app with Search functionality and text based navigation - like Yahoo Maps was 10 years back.

MMI must be testing the waters with this. IMHO they *shouldn't* have released that terribly immature app of their own. Garmin (also Navigon), TomTom et al sell reliability and well-rounded functionality. Sygic etc. are mature applications miles ahead of this MMI app. Even OSM-based Galileo is far far better. MMI isn't even giving minimum functionality in their app comparatively.
Old 27th October 2013, 11:58   #19
BHPian

Hi,

I am afraid, this is factually incorrect.

The free app is indeed a sygic app, but with mapmyindia map data.

It is for sure an offline app, and the map data remains on your sd card/ external memory.

You have the option of searching POI if you are connected from Google.

It does show 3d and also give you all sorts of warning and speed limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
TANSTAFL !!!

And you would be absolutely correct in doing so. The less said about the MMI app the better. All the map and PoI data is there - yet the interface is RUDIMENTARY. Reminded me of the state of navigation assistance 15 years back! It guides you with a text list, not screen clues or voice guidance. While driving, the map only shows in 2D, with the blue dot tracking your position. One doesn't get any assistance even with turns coming up. No dynamic zoom either. This MMI app is just a map display app with Search functionality and text based navigation - like Yahoo Maps was 10 years back.

MMI must be testing the waters with this. IMHO they *shouldn't* have released that terribly immature app of their own. Garmin (also Navigon), TomTom et al sell reliability and well-rounded functionality. Sygic etc. are mature applications miles ahead of this MMI app. Even OSM-based Galileo is far far better. MMI isn't even giving minimum functionality in their app comparatively.
Old 27th October 2013, 21:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
... I am afraid, this is factually incorrect. ...
My friend, perhaps it you who should correct your facts?

I have both Sygic app (on Android) and the MMI app (on iOS, both on my iPhone and iPad) that use the MMI maps. I was quoting from my usage experience - nothing factually incorrect about it.

I was talking about the iOS app put up by MMI on Apple Store on Oct 22, referred to in the thread title - it is NOT Sygic software. You are referring to the Sygic version on Android available for the last few years (there is none on iOS) which recently became a 'free' app. Please check again - there is currently *absolutely no similarity* in program behaviour and features between the MMI (iOS) and Sygic (Android) apps. Both use MMI map data.
Old 28th October 2013, 09:07   #21
BHPian

Hi Der,

I put my hand up, I havent checked the iOS app.

I was only referring to the Android app which has become free since last two months or so.

Apologies

Quote:

I have both Sygic app (on Android) and the MMI app (on iOS, both on my iPhone and iPad) that use the MMI maps. I was quoting from my usage experience - nothing factually incorrect about it.

I was talking about the iOS app put up by MMI on Apple Store on Oct 22, referred to in the thread title - it is NOT Sygic software. You are referring to the Sygic version on Android available for the last few years (there is none on iOS) which recently became a 'free' app. Please check again - there is currently *absolutely no similarity* in program behaviour and features between the MMI (iOS) and Sygic (Android) apps. Both use MMI map data.
Old 28th October 2013, 21:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Does this do enough justice to replace the GPS device? Is the app better than using MMI mpas on the device?

Last edited by mail4ajo : 28th October 2013 at 21:29.
Old 29th October 2013, 14:26   #23
BHPian

Google maps did justice a year or so ago and is by far the best maps I have used. I have stopped using a GPS device for around a year as well. Google maps have a few issues with PoI's but overall they are very good. The only issue that I have faced is in areas of low or no reception. Thats where GPS devices score better.

If iOS had a better offline navigation system, something even as simple as Nokia maps, it would be better. Nokia maps infact is quite good as well.
Old 29th October 2013, 14:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Does this do enough justice to replace the GPS device? ...
Nooooooo! <accompanied by violent head shake>

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
... Is the app better than using MMI mpas on the device?
Nooooooo! <accompanied by violent head shake>

It is only better than
Paper maps. One can search!
Old 14th March 2014, 12:57   #25
mvp
BHPian

Quote:

I am using an Iphone5 and looking for a navigation app that can works offline too (at times when internet connectivity is poor or not available)

Also, share your experience of using MMI (IOS). I have been using google maps but restricted when I don't have internet connectivity.
Old 14th March 2014, 16:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp View Post
I am using an Iphone5 and looking for a navigation app that can works offline too (at times when internet connectivity is poor or not available) ...
The free navigation apps with stored maps are hopeless, as is the native Apple mapping software. Google is the best of the rest - at a pinch it will tolerate some loss of connectivity. The not-so-good alternatives are:
* Here maps from Nokia
* OSM maps with a navigation front end like Galileo or even the OpenStreetMaps (Routing is a paid module)
* MapQuest (not sure whether it stores maps; have not been able to use it seriously)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
... Also, share your experience of using MMI (IOS). ...
Terrible, to say the least!
Old 14th March 2014, 18:07   #27
mvp
BHPian

Quote:
The free navigation apps with stored maps are hopeless, as is the native Apple mapping software. Google is the best of the rest - at a pinch it will tolerate some loss of connectivity. The not-so-good alternatives are:
* Here maps from Nokia
* OSM maps with a navigation front end like Galileo or even the OpenStreetMaps (Routing is a paid module)
* MapQuest (not sure whether it stores maps; have not been able to use it seriously)

Terrible, to say the least!
Thanks. Do you think the paid apps would work well offline for IOS? I can see Sygic & Mapmyindia is available for INR 2000/-. Anybody using it?
Old 15th March 2014, 11:24   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. Do you think the paid apps would work well offline for IOS? I can see Sygic & Mapmyindia is available for INR 2000/-. Anybody using it?
The same sygic app is available for free on Android. Should be the same for iOS too. When say free I mean sygic app with MMI maps for offline storage of map content.
Old 15th March 2014, 12:30   #29
mvp
BHPian

Free for iPhone : MapmyIndia App with GPS navigation, house addresses etc.-imageuploadedbyteambhp1394866668.291436.jpg

Ampere, I did download the sygic offline app but does not have an option to download the India.

Downside of owing a iOS device?
Old 15th March 2014, 12:36   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Attachment 1219765

Ampere, I did download the sygic offline app but does not have an option to download the India.

Downside of owing a iOS device?
Not sure about iOS. But for India you can download it state by state.

Most Viewed